Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

how should i exfoliate?

i have like dry skin and orangeish patches from the dryness. and you said exfoliating eliminates that. i have no idea how to or what products to get.

Posted

I know I'm not CAKD, but I have a few suggestions. There are two main forms of exfoliation that we use here, and that's chemical and manual. Chemical being exfoliation through chemicals in moisturizers and such that do it for you, manual being actually exfoliating yourself with some sort of brush or scrub.

The most popular chemical mean on these boards would be the use of an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), present in moisturizers such as Lac-Hydrin 5 (which contains lactic acid) and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion (which contains glycolic acid). LH5 is slightly milder, so if you have more sensitive skin, that may be the way to go as AHA does cause the skin to sting a bit. I personally love the Neutrogena, and I would highly reccomend the Night version (which has no spf, and in my experience it stings much less). It's hard to find, but worth it. I would use it once every other night or every night in place of Dan's moisturizer, while continuing to use Dan's in the morning. Note: only try this method after you've been on the DKR for awhile, as AHA mixed with BP does irritate a bit, and if you are still upping your dose this is not a good idea. Once you're used to the full amount of BP, the irritation shouldn't be a problem (and shouldn't cause breakouts). Glycolic acid is actually quite good for acne.

A popular manual method on this board is the baby brush method, found here. I personally do not like this as much as using the aforementioned Neutrogena, but I have found it very useful in the recent months as I have grown a beard. Shaving, as you may or may not know, is a big exfoliator. Once I stopped shaving, however, I became much flakier and I needed some extra exfoliation to replace the shaving as the Neutrogena was not enough. So I am currently brushing every other day, and my face is looking MUCH better. I have experienced no problems using it this often. But last year, when I was shaving, I had to do it much less often to avoid over exfoliation (more like once a week).

Which of these you choose depends on your skin condition. AHA, I've found, is better for evening out skin tone and not quite as good at getting rid of flakes. The baby brush method is great for flakes. I don't know what your face looks like, but at this point I would probably first try the AHA, as dry and orange skin seems to be your problem. HOWEVER, I should mention again not to use this if you are near the beginning of the Regimen. I remember I had orangish skin when I started out, and that definitely would have been a bad time to try AHA.

Lastly, I'd recommend trying jojoba oil to get the skin a little less dry. While exfoliation is great, and necessary, jojoba oil to me is one of the staples of the Regimen. My skin would look like crap without it. It might really help the dryness of those patches, and the you could use an AHA to even out the skin tone. I prefer to apply it before BP (see the link in my sig). I would also highly reccomend looking at CAKD's method here as it seems like it would be very nice for your situation (if you are really flaky). Play around and see what works best for you. Hope all this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Holy mother of crap that was a long post

Posted

Well, that was a freebie :P

I have absolutely nothing to add! :wub:

Posted

what about using bha?