Notifications
Clear all

proactiv help...

MemberMember
(@dustbunny)

Posted : 12/18/2007 9:53 pm

hello, i have been using proactiv for about a week. recently my face has become extremely dry and peeling because of the BP if i don't put lotion on it (i make sure to use an oil-free type). my question is, is it supposed to do that? should i stop using it as much or find a different medication? help is appreciated!

MemberMember
(@clearskinismine)

Posted : 12/19/2007 2:03 am

here's my advice.......

BP sucks - alot of people who have acne actually have very sensitive skin. The BP in proactiv is one of the lowest percentages marketed. The problem with BP, is that eventually your skin adjusts to it and you must continually increase the percentage of BP you are using in order to continue to see results. This is why many proactiv users see inital clearing and then no results.

you are probably experiencing 1) a reaction to the BP because you are using too much or are sensitive to it; 2)a purging period which can last up to 8 weeks in which all blemishes which were previously invisible will come to the surface and heal.

I think you shouldget the proactiv gentle kit because it uses SA instead of BP. Your skin will not get used to the SA (the SA exfoliates, where as the BPkills the p.acnes bacteria), and sensitivity to SA is rare.

KEYWORD: - GENTLE - use only products formulated for sensitive skin and dont expect miracle results overnight.

I used BP and had to go on accutane. Now I use a mild cleanser and 2% SA Pads and complex 15 and it helps. I'm actually going to purchase the proactiv gentle kit soon

MemberMember
(@v42008)

Posted : 12/20/2007 11:24 pm

This is just not true. The skin never adapts to BP; it always continues working. If 2.5%BP works for you today, it will work for you 10 years from now. I have a book called Breaking Out and it says that BP in any percentage never stops working and your skin does not become immune to it like it can with other medications like antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@pwpager08)

Posted : 12/21/2007 7:12 am

This is just not true. The skin never adapts to BP; it always continues working. If 2.5%BP works for you today, it will work for you 10 years from now. I have a book called Breaking Out and it says that BP in any percentage never stops working and your skin does not become immune to it like it can with other medications like antibiotics.

I agree with this statement. If you want to keep your skin from drying out then try using it once a day or add a moisturizer in like cetaphil lotion at the end of the 3 step system.

MemberMember
(@eca1210)

Posted : 12/23/2007 12:56 pm

hello, i have been using proactiv for about a week. recently my face has become extremely dry and peeling because of the BP if i don't put lotion on it (i make sure to use an oil-free type). my question is, is it supposed to do that? should i stop using it as much or find a different medication? help is appreciated!

I use proactive as well. At first my face was really dry and peeling but after awhile it was fine. It took time for my face to adjust to the BP. I would put a moisturizer on it, it seems to help.

MemberMember
(@max101)

Posted : 12/24/2007 8:30 am

You guys the same thing is happening to me right now.....my skin is peeling :(!!!!!

could it be because i didnt use a moisturizer the first week?

now im using Neutrogena Intensified Daily Moisture w/SPF 15

and stopped Proactiv for 2 days...... help?

MemberMember
(@mg86)

Posted : 12/26/2007 3:26 am

Proactive is a rip. Save yourself some money and build your own kit. Buy a gentle cleanser, buy a gentle exfoliator, screw the toner, and pick up some low percentage BP. If you get dry moisturise and drink lots of water.

MemberMember
(@psycokittykat)

Posted : 12/26/2007 4:19 am

i use to use proactive but it made my skin so dry and flaky bleh. It probably was mainly due to the fact that my skin is so sensitive and wasn't used to the BP yet. also there are several meds in the toner that are different from the cleanser and lotion. Combining the Bp in the cleanser and lotion with the Glycolic acid in the toner could also cause irritation and dryness. I still use Bp now cause my skin is used to it but i do not use proactive because my skin could just not handle all of that stuff togther. I use cetiphil gentle skin cleanser neutrogena on the spot 2.5% Bp and cetaphil lotion.

I also noticed if i run out of my neutrogena and use the proactive Bp that i have left over for one night my skin breaks out the next day.

i just think proactive is evil....

MemberMember
(@librarirun)

Posted : 12/27/2007 8:47 pm

Hello!

I am new to this board, but once I saw the posting about Proactiv help, I had to reply on this. Please--get off Proactiv. Save yourself the pain and the money. My sister and I have been using Proactiv for YEARS---I am talking for myself, at least almost 7 years for me. Do not go down that path. I have been using other products now (actually started using the Regimen that Blotchla posted on this board awhile ago) because about 2 months ago, I decided to make the jump and get off Proactiv. It wasn't the price, it wasn't that I was running out--both my sister and I have found out that our skin adapted to the product. I am not saying that you can get used to BP--no--but there are different chemicals in Proactiv that the repeated use just became immune on my skin. I got to the point (and same with my sister) that I would have about a day of perfect skin, and then I would get HUGE cystic zits. Both my sister and I would NOT get little pimples, gradually over the years the pimples would appear and take longer to heal. Eventually the BP just dried out everything on my skin to the point that the layers would peel off (I am not joking here). I have used other BP products, but the catch with Proactiv is because it is weaker, you are using 3 different products with low strength of BP and constantly have to slather the BP lotion to get your skin to not peel. I didn't even use the toner because the wash dried my skin out enough. I can't imagine what the alcohol in the toner would have done. Proactiv will also BURN your skin. BP is a peroxide (Benzoyl). Peroxide is a form of bleach. That is why Proactiv will bleach your clothes. Bleach your skin. It basically will bleach the skin off your face---and I got to the point where I had to take a nail file and scrape the dead skin off my face. What was left, was fresh RED skin constantly being exposed to harsh BP over and over. Also, if you look up Blotchla's post about his regimen, you can find other BP products that are a little more stronger (about 10 percent BP) that work just the same, but since I started using Clean and Clear's Continuous Control Acne Cleanser which has 10 percent BP, I am getting the same results as if you were using the wash from Proactiv. I have gotten to the point that i do not need to put a BP lotion on, because all that did was clog my skin and at the same time, burn it off. You should need to have constant BP on your skin all day---your skin is a porous organ--it will absorb medicine when you wash. I know some people say that all you need is a gentle cleanser, but I have seriously tried gentle cleanser, and they do not clean the bacteria that causes acne on your skin. If you have having whiteheads etc.. to begin with, you are going to need something stronger than just mild soap and water to get the bacteria off your skin.

However, (sorry for the long post) one thing I have learned from all my experiences with acne products is that EVERYONE'S face is different. A gentle cleanser may work for some, but I am a serious marathon runner, so I know that my skin needs a little more than a gentle cleanser. Please, if you take anything to heart in this post, do not go down the path of Proactiv. Down the line, you are going to have to get off the product because you are not going to be able to stay on Proactiv forever. What if they discontinue the product? Other things are just as good, safer and better (and cheaper) than Proactiv. People did have clear skin before Proactiv. you just have to know what chemicals/anit-bacterial info you are looking for.

The products I have used in the past range from Neutrogena's Extra Gentle Cleanser, which wrecked absolute HAVOC on my skin, to Neutrogena's Oil Free Acne Wash (the orange stuff) to Noxema to Proactiv---none have consistantly cleared my skin. None. And I am not talking that I tried these products for a week and they didn't work. If you do try anything over the counter, give it at least 3 weeks to a month. It takes time. That is the ONE thing I have also learned from my past experiences.

But PLEASE, do not go down the path of Proactiv. I have seen some other people use Proactiv and mix it with some other products like Clean and Clear---I say, get off the Proactiv. If you have to use the Proactiv with something you can purchase at Walmart anyways---that proves that it isn't "unique" and special stuff. When it comes right down to it, Proactiv is nothing but 3 forms of BP that they just have you use at the same time. BP alone will not fight acne. You need something (like I have read in many acne articles and this is also in Blotchla's post) about how you need to use something to remove (exfoliate) the dead skin cells and then BP to kill the bacteria. All Proactiv has is BP. Their scrub may have little granules in it, but it is the medicine that you skin is absorbing, you can scrape your skin off with dirt and call it exfoliating, it's what is left behind or absorbed that matters.

Please, if you are doing something that works for you, great. My info may be the exact opposite of what you are currently doing---but I just had to post this about the Proactiv response. Please---do not go down that path. I am lucky to have finally made the jump to get off the darn product, and yes---it has been extremely extremely rough. I have had days where there is not a spot on my face that did not have a zit. I am not kidding about that. I had zits even underneath my eyes. But to get off Proactiv and not have to depend or freak out if I ran out---is the best thing in the world. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't even have my husband touch my face--say if he accidentally wiped a tear off my face or something--I had to IMMEDIATELY go wash my face with Proactiv or else I would break out. That was after 7 years of using Proactiv. You should never ever have to be that reliable on a product and I was.

It is now my sister's turn to make the jump off of Proactiv, and she has been using it LONGER than me. She had even worse acne than I did--and had been to the dermatologist etc..and she eventually gave up and tried Proactiv. Her skin got used to it as well. I think she has almost been using Proactiv for 10 years. It is inevitable---your skin will either depend on it to the point that you can't even appreciate the clear skin you have, for fear you may break out if you run out or touch your face---or your skin will get used to the mix of chemicals (not just the BP).

I wish you all luck---in no matter what regimen you use---whatever works for you--but do not rely on Proactiv. It will set you up to fail. You should have some freedom with your face. You can find BP like Proactiv in the store (since that was the active ingredient) and I am currently using Blotchla's post regimen (wash once with SA Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub and Clean and Clear BP Continuous Control Acne Cleanser at night, and then in the morning I do the same, since my skin is so built up to BP from burning and chemicals, but Blotchla's original regimen has just the Clean and Clear SA wash in the AM, and then at night use both the SA wash and the BP wash) but I have been using this regimen for just 2 days---and I cannot tell you how much my face has cleared up. I am seeing the same results using these 2 Clean and Clear products like I did using the expensive Proactiv. I am going to give it longer, but if you look up Blotchla's post about "100 % clear on 2 products" (i think that is the name of the post) you will see how many other people have tried it and it works!

But I will give it time, all products start to clear up your face immediately---just because it's your skin adapting to a new mix of chemicals, even though the BP is the same.

Please take care---and like I said, whatever works for you---just do not use Proactiv. It will catch up with you in the long run, and I am speaking from a total (between me and my sister) of almost 20 years of Proactiv experience.

Take care,

Katrina

MemberMember
(@smc0617)

Posted : 12/28/2007 7:40 am

if you've just started using proactiv i would suggest you get off of it. try dan's regimen and stick with it. proactiv is horrible!!!

MemberMember
(@agent)

Posted : 12/29/2007 6:28 pm

Ok - don't believe people telling you to buy other products. Everything is basically the same - almost all acne products contain BP. It's going to be drying. It's pretty much the most effective thing for acne that is OTC. Just be lotion and you should be fine. BUT - Make SURE it's non comedogenic!

MemberMember
(@jenstar)

Posted : 12/29/2007 7:59 pm

I hated how ProActiv bleached everything - including my good towels!! It also made my face sting and burn for hours afterwards particularly the areas around my eyes (never used it in my actual eye area).

MemberMember
(@briansgirl7983)

Posted : 12/30/2007 10:45 am

Hello!

I am new to this board, but once I saw the posting about Proactiv help, I had to reply on this. Please--get off Proactiv. Save yourself the pain and the money. My sister and I have been using Proactiv for YEARS---I am talking for myself, at least almost 7 years for me. Do not go down that path. I have been using other products now (actually started using the Regimen that Blotchla posted on this board awhile ago) because about 2 months ago, I decided to make the jump and get off Proactiv. It wasn't the price, it wasn't that I was running out--both my sister and I have found out that our skin adapted to the product. I am not saying that you can get used to BP--no--but there are different chemicals in Proactiv that the repeated use just became immune on my skin. I got to the point (and same with my sister) that I would have about a day of perfect skin, and then I would get HUGE cystic zits. Both my sister and I would NOT get little pimples, gradually over the years the pimples would appear and take longer to heal. Eventually the BP just dried out everything on my skin to the point that the layers would peel off (I am not joking here). I have used other BP products, but the catch with Proactiv is because it is weaker, you are using 3 different products with low strength of BP and constantly have to slather the BP lotion to get your skin to not peel. I didn't even use the toner because the wash dried my skin out enough. I can't imagine what the alcohol in the toner would have done. Proactiv will also BURN your skin. BP is a peroxide (Benzoyl). Peroxide is a form of bleach. That is why Proactiv will bleach your clothes. Bleach your skin. It basically will bleach the skin off your face---and I got to the point where I had to take a nail file and scrape the dead skin off my face. What was left, was fresh RED skin constantly being exposed to harsh BP over and over. Also, if you look up Blotchla's post about his regimen, you can find other BP products that are a little more stronger (about 10 percent BP) that work just the same, but since I started using Clean and Clear's Continuous Control Acne Cleanser which has 10 percent BP, I am getting the same results as if you were using the wash from Proactiv. I have gotten to the point that i do not need to put a BP lotion on, because all that did was clog my skin and at the same time, burn it off. You should need to have constant BP on your skin all day---your skin is a porous organ--it will absorb medicine when you wash. I know some people say that all you need is a gentle cleanser, but I have seriously tried gentle cleanser, and they do not clean the bacteria that causes acne on your skin. If you have having whiteheads etc.. to begin with, you are going to need something stronger than just mild soap and water to get the bacteria off your skin.

However, (sorry for the long post) one thing I have learned from all my experiences with acne products is that EVERYONE'S face is different. A gentle cleanser may work for some, but I am a serious marathon runner, so I know that my skin needs a little more than a gentle cleanser. Please, if you take anything to heart in this post, do not go down the path of Proactiv. Down the line, you are going to have to get off the product because you are not going to be able to stay on Proactiv forever. What if they discontinue the product? Other things are just as good, safer and better (and cheaper) than Proactiv. People did have clear skin before Proactiv. you just have to know what chemicals/anit-bacterial info you are looking for.

The products I have used in the past range from Neutrogena's Extra Gentle Cleanser, which wrecked absolute HAVOC on my skin, to Neutrogena's Oil Free Acne Wash (the orange stuff) to Noxema to Proactiv---none have consistantly cleared my skin. None. And I am not talking that I tried these products for a week and they didn't work. If you do try anything over the counter, give it at least 3 weeks to a month. It takes time. That is the ONE thing I have also learned from my past experiences.

But PLEASE, do not go down the path of Proactiv. I have seen some other people use Proactiv and mix it with some other products like Clean and Clear---I say, get off the Proactiv. If you have to use the Proactiv with something you can purchase at Walmart anyways---that proves that it isn't "unique" and special stuff. When it comes right down to it, Proactiv is nothing but 3 forms of BP that they just have you use at the same time. BP alone will not fight acne. You need something (like I have read in many acne articles and this is also in Blotchla's post) about how you need to use something to remove (exfoliate) the dead skin cells and then BP to kill the bacteria. All Proactiv has is BP. Their scrub may have little granules in it, but it is the medicine that you skin is absorbing, you can scrape your skin off with dirt and call it exfoliating, it's what is left behind or absorbed that matters.

Please, if you are doing something that works for you, great. My info may be the exact opposite of what you are currently doing---but I just had to post this about the Proactiv response. Please---do not go down that path. I am lucky to have finally made the jump to get off the darn product, and yes---it has been extremely extremely rough. I have had days where there is not a spot on my face that did not have a zit. I am not kidding about that. I had zits even underneath my eyes. But to get off Proactiv and not have to depend or freak out if I ran out---is the best thing in the world. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't even have my husband touch my face--say if he accidentally wiped a tear off my face or something--I had to IMMEDIATELY go wash my face with Proactiv or else I would break out. That was after 7 years of using Proactiv. You should never ever have to be that reliable on a product and I was.

It is now my sister's turn to make the jump off of Proactiv, and she has been using it LONGER than me. She had even worse acne than I did--and had been to the dermatologist etc..and she eventually gave up and tried Proactiv. Her skin got used to it as well. I think she has almost been using Proactiv for 10 years. It is inevitable---your skin will either depend on it to the point that you can't even appreciate the clear skin you have, for fear you may break out if you run out or touch your face---or your skin will get used to the mix of chemicals (not just the BP).

I wish you all luck---in no matter what regimen you use---whatever works for you--but do not rely on Proactiv. It will set you up to fail. You should have some freedom with your face. You can find BP like Proactiv in the store (since that was the active ingredient) and I am currently using Blotchla's post regimen (wash once with SA Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub and Clean and Clear BP Continuous Control Acne Cleanser at night, and then in the morning I do the same, since my skin is so built up to BP from burning and chemicals, but Blotchla's original regimen has just the Clean and Clear SA wash in the AM, and then at night use both the SA wash and the BP wash) but I have been using this regimen for just 2 days---and I cannot tell you how much my face has cleared up. I am seeing the same results using these 2 Clean and Clear products like I did using the expensive Proactiv. I am going to give it longer, but if you look up Blotchla's post about "100 % clear on 2 products" (i think that is the name of the post) you will see how many other people have tried it and it works!

But I will give it time, all products start to clear up your face immediately---just because it's your skin adapting to a new mix of chemicals, even though the BP is the same.

Please take care---and like I said, whatever works for you---just do not use Proactiv. It will catch up with you in the long run, and I am speaking from a total (between me and my sister) of almost 20 years of Proactiv experience.

Take care,

Katrina

I agree with you about the proactiv. I have never used it, but I asked my friend about it(She is an aesthetician) she said that most people who use proactiv love it at first, then it stops working. She said that you should never use more than one product containing BP (which, I believe Proactiv has it in two of the three-step products?) she said the best thing you can use is Cetaphil because it is mild. She also said that yes, everyone has different skin but for a majority Cetaphil is the answer. She also said you can exfoliate, but only once every 28 days or so and not if you have severe acne. I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that while using Proactiv, it must be horrible. Here I think that I have it rough with acne only on my chin and you have it everywhere. I'm glad that you have shared this with us! It will save people a lot of time and heartache. I always thought Proactiv couldn't be that great if they need celebs to endorse it and sell it on some infomercial....

MemberMember
(@julialalala)

Posted : 12/30/2007 9:18 pm

I used ProActiv this summer before going on Accutane. I have severe acne. It made my pimples a little bit smaller and dried my face a lot. It has dried my skin more than accutane..

Theres this thing that works for me. If you want you could try it. When you put moisturiser on, put a lot of it on your face. A LOT! It helped me A LOT ! :)

I even read in a magazine today that it works. You dont have to buy an expensive one. I use Garnier for sensitive & dry skin.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@mmmhmmmm)

Posted : 12/30/2007 9:31 pm

hahaha, people still use proactive?

MemberMember
(@piriri-to-yukou)

Posted : 01/01/2008 9:49 pm

I hated how ProActiv bleached everything - including my good towels!! It also made my face sting and burn for hours afterwards particularly the areas around my eyes (never used it in my actual eye area).

that is just happening to me recently.

in the morning before school, i would apply everything.

(Cleanser, Toner, oil control, reparing lotion, spf15 moirsturizer (bad spelling))

Then about, 5 mintues later, the area around my eyes start burning..

what's up w/ that?

it doesn't do it everyday, but probably 2/7 days.

MemberMember
(@mrsfthechef)

Posted : 01/02/2008 1:26 am

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and I'm so glad someone put this together. I'm so sick of doctors telling me to slather on this cream or take some pill. They get some textbook verion on how to treat acne and most people will agree that everyone's skin is different.

I found this thread doing a search for ProActiv. I went back on it a few months ago and my skin has gotten progressively worse. What's even more strange is that I used it about 5 years ago and it cleared me up immediately. The only difference I can think of is that I was on birth control back then and I stopped taking them about 9 months ago. It's been a train wreck ever since.

I think the ProActiv does its job for most people with mild acne. It helped me once, but now my skin is different. My body just doesn't respond to it the same. I don't think it's evil -- it's just not for me anymore. Good to know I'm not the only one though who had discouragement with ProActiv.

MemberMember
(@saeras)

Posted : 01/02/2008 3:34 am

ProActiv was awful for me, it just made my acne worse. Not to mention the money its costs you in the end, paying for the privilege for painful pimples and breakouts. I should have known better.

MemberMember
(@eca1210)

Posted : 01/02/2008 11:10 pm

yeah ive been using proactive for a month and just started burning my face and drying it really bad again so im going to the derm, im just so fed up with it all.

MemberMember
(@almost-pretty)

Posted : 01/06/2008 5:42 pm

here's my advice.......

BP sucks - alot of people who have acne actually have very sensitive skin. The BP in proactiv is one of the lowest percentages marketed. The problem with BP, is that eventually your skin adjusts to it and you must continually increase the percentage of BP you are using in order to continue to see results. This is why many proactiv users see inital clearing and then no results.

you are probably experiencing 1) a reaction to the BP because you are using too much or are sensitive to it; 2)a purging period which can last up to 8 weeks in which all blemishes which were previously invisible will come to the surface and heal.

I think you shouldget the proactiv gentle kit because it uses SA instead of BP. Your skin will not get used to the SA (the SA exfoliates, where as the BPkills the p.acnes bacteria), and sensitivity to SA is rare.

KEYWORD: - GENTLE - use only products formulated for sensitive skin and dont expect miracle results overnight.

I used BP and had to go on accutane. Now I use a mild cleanser and 2% SA Pads and complex 15 and it helps. I'm actually going to purchase the proactiv gentle kit soon

hmmm, this might just be true. this perhaps could be the reason that i initially had great results with dkr and then after some months my skin starting breaking out like crazy with huge bumps all over. ive read lots of other posts where this has happened to others as well. at any rate sulfur has been my only saving grace. bp will never touch my face again.

MemberMember
(@quiksilver)

Posted : 01/06/2008 5:57 pm

Ok, think of it like this...Why are there people on these forums right now? Because, they have tried proactive and it didnt work out for them! This is home to MANY proactive veterans! You are definitely getting biased responses here...

I actually tried Dan's regimen first...It worked for a while then it stopped...I then tried proactive for a month(followed it religiously) and my face turned into a warzone.

Now I am week 3 into an AHA regimen ( the thread title is "all clear w/ AHA"), and my face is looking very good.

So my advice to you is to keep going on with the proactive regimen for a month. See what happens and try not to look in the mirror too often!

MemberMember
(@fairywings)

Posted : 01/06/2008 8:35 pm

I have used Proactiv for a week now, too.

BP is what is causing the dryness, it happens with all BP. You just need to use a moisturiser too. My skin was very flaky yesterday so I put a lot of Olay Complete moisturizer on and it isn't flaky anymore.

I received my proactiv from a friend who said it wasn't working for her, so I think I am not going to keep using it. I have only been using it at night as well, and not the cleanser everyday because I don't want to use 2 products with BP in it at the same time. My skin has actually become a lot better even in the first day, but I really don't know if i should be placing the blame for my good skin on the proactiv or the moisturizer because my skin was already improving once I started using moisturizer everyday. I think I just needed to add the BP as well. So basically.. I'm not sticking with Proactiv.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@haileydawn)

Posted : 02/10/2008 5:49 pm

okay, so basically i probably shouldn't have started using proactiv. I've been using it for over a year now and it's not a good idea if you don't have bad acne to begin with. It does work but you need to be consistant, very patient and yeah. It dries out my skin really bad. When i tried getting off of it (twice) i just broke out worse. Your skin almost begins to crave it or something. I know it works amazingly for some, but honestly, don't get it unless you really have bad acne and have tried everything else. Hopefully whoever else uses it will have better luck

MemberMember
(@kimouna)

Posted : 04/09/2013 2:05 pm

WHILE THE PRODUCT ITSELF IS GREAT (IN MY EXPERIENCE), THE COMPANY IS HORRIBLE AND THEY WILL TRY TO SCAM YOU, SO BE WARE!!
I first bought Proactiv in a kiosk and really enjoyed the product. But then when I purchased another set of products online, I started to receive all kinds of products (and be charged for them) that I never ordered.
When I called them to ask how this could be done without my authorization, they told me that when I purchased the initial product online, the web site informed me that I had to become a member (which costs over $70 and includes periodic deliveries). I am positive that I would not have signed up if I was informed of this.
It took me forever to even reach someone on the phone because there were always technical difficulties when I tried to inquire by email. And often their web page wouldn't even work. Just google it and you'll finds TONS of other reviews just like this one, of bad customer service, unauthorized charges, etc.
I am very disappointed in this company's deceptive ways, especially since I really liked the product itself. I'll never buy it again and will dissuade anyone who asks me from ever supporting them in the future. It's too bad because they probably would do just fine by selling the product in an honest way, because it actually works.
MemberMember
(@galorezone)

Posted : 11/21/2013 2:45 am

Hi -I just thought I would share my experience with proactiv. I am now using it again after stopping a few years ago. Just as it did the first time it has cleard me up within 2 weeks.this time around I am only using it once a day. I am also using cetaphil moisturizer in the morning and neutrogena at night. Proactive will completely dry you out if used more than once a day. I realy wish I didn't have to use it but unfortunately as soon as I stop I start getting a few zits and then of course I pickdand enter the vicious cycle. Proactive works but keep your s kin moisturised & only use at night-hope this helps.