Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrea

DOES RETIN A WORK??

Hi! Just wanted to see how successful retin a was for people out there. I'm debating whether or not to start because I know it makes my face worse before it gets better. I'm trying to determine if it's worth it. So pleaseeeeeee help!

Thanks!

Andrea

I used retin a, it dried out my skin soooooo bad that I felt like it was unnatural. The whole point to retin a is to dry out your skin so you don't get pimples. It got rid of my acne but my oil rating got worse. You also get bad sunburns if you wear it during the day. But it does help for mild to moderate acne

i've been using retin-a for nearly 2 months now, at first, i had no effects whatsoever(maybe coz i used moisturiser with it!), then slowly,it started to flake around the spots and scars. i stopped using moisturiser with it at night, just in the morning, than my face got xtra xtra dry, even where i hadn't been using it! but now i've noticed that the older red and brown marks r fading slowly, so i hope it keeps on working.

btw, i used 0.025% ,so maybe thats why i didn't really have many side-effects--but it depends on ur skin. :X

I tried it (strongest 0.1%), used it for 4 months and it did nothing. Il tell you what it does do though. If you have tiny little indents(scars) it makes them go away. After I'm done with my course of accutane I might go back on it just for the scarring, but my derm said collagen was a good route also.

nk

I'm also on 0.025 % morning and evening, and I'm using moisturiser with it as the first week I didnt it literally burnt my skin, would you say that decreasing the amount of moisturiser has helped make the retin-a more effective?

krysuk--i hope so! sometimes my marks don't look as bad as they did before, but no amazing results. some of the older marks which were there for awhile are fading slowly. i dont know if its helping with spots , but i only have about 1 or 2 little ones now.the marks are my biggest problem.

keep using it, give it at least 2 or 3 months, then maybe ask ur prescriber for a higher concentration if it doesnt work...good luck :X

ive been on it 5 weeks and the results are coming in very nicely. i had not so many pimples but a lot of red marks when i started using it and its greatly helped. granted i got a whole bunch of pimples over the course of it, the marks which nearly used to cover my face are now about 90% gone. my only problem area is the apples of my cheeks and then some scattered marks on my face. but then again ive only been on it 5 weeks and your not even supposed to start to see results until 6

hi, thanks for the reply

Just been very disheartened this week (week 7) as I have had breakout worse than the one I had on week 3/4 It's all clearing up now but it's been really depressing looking in the mirror..

Does anyone know what strengths are available on prescription here in the UK?

The retin-a I'm on at the moment says you can get

.025 cram

.025 gel

.010 gel

and lotion as well

I would have thought the next step up would be .05 % but couldnt see it - my doctor is CRAP and I basically have to go in and spoon feed him with what I want

I asked fro retin-a micro but he couldnt find it in his book - is this available on prescription here anyone?

To be honest I'm considering accutane, but still holding out hope retin-a might work

Hi Krysuk,

Retin-A Micro is actually a new product that just came out on the market. I got it from my dermo (here in Canada) and when I requested at my skin care clinic, they didn't know what I was talking about. It is the sme effect as Retin-A , but is supposed to be less irritating. Check out the website:

www.retinamicro.com

You'll get all the info you need. And maybe you can order it from the UK, or go in and tell your doctor about it.

Manchita :wink:

i'm on retin-a micro 0.1% and it's better than any other medication out there.. for my skin at least. i have no visible acne anymore. and dude, retin-a micro isn't new. i've had it for 2 years now.

here in Canada we just got it, probably FDA rules etc. I've been on it for about 4 months now and am completely clear.

And by the way, I'm female... :wink:

well i've been on it for 2 years. when i first was put on it, i was put on it with dinocyclin 75mg pills and triaz 3% cleanser. i was kind of neglectful for about ay ear, only putting it on occassionally when i felt like it, so my acne didn't really clear up. my acne isn't bad, it's only on my chin and lower cheeks and it's just a few red marks. but in the past like 4 months i've been really determined to get rid of it, and i got onto a strict regimen. i put it on everynight after using azelaic acid for 3 hours prior to putting on the retin-a. in the past 4 months of not missing a day, my acne is completely gone, not a single pimple and only one or two red marks that appear sometimes.

ive been on it for six weeks now, and i definitely dont wanna discourange you but for me it's been realy tough! look at the other retin a micro topic on this board, maybe you'll get an idea of what im going through. but definitely try it, it seesm to work for tons of other people in here! :)

I've been on retin a micro .04% for a couple of months. I have gotten so discouraged with several breakouts and nasty whiteheads. I thought it wasn't going to work and I was about to give up, until finally my skin started to clear up. My skin is more smooth and firm and my scars are starting to go away. I love this medication. The key thing is patience, which I had to learn while on it. TIP: Put on a non-comedogenic lotion. (I use Proactiv oilfree moisture, it doesn't have BP in it)Let dry. Then apply a pea size amount of retin-a-micro. It won't dry your skin out as much. It irritates your skin more if you squeeze acne with your hands...so make sure you use a sterilized needle. :) AND IF YOU SEE RESULTS, NEVER STOP USING RETIN-A-MICRO, OR YOUR ACNE WILL COME BACK.

I have been using Retin A .05% ... i have been on it 6 yrs and i mostly notice that my skin does not get scars when i do get acne.And if i do they are very faint and generally over a course of a yr fade away .The only difference between retin A micro and retin a is retin a micro has small beads which release the medication over a 8 hour period slowly verses retin a which soaks in right away.WWhich is why it can be a bit more irritating.My derm who suffered from acne for years uses it every day for the last 10+ yrs and she looks so young.not a wrinkle on her face.She told me retin a (the regular) is far better so thats what ive been using.But everyone is different.

Yup its good for scars supposedly. I love it personally although it never fully cured me, but hey thats what accutane is doing for me now, yet I still use the Retin-A every other day just for scar purposes, and yes my derm said it was ok. :-P

it definitely helps if you stick with it. It may take longer than expected but the results will come. If youe clear up....DO NOT STOP USING IT!!!!

how long did it take you guys to clear up??? i'm on week 7 now and my forehead is exactly the same as before retin a!! :?

im also on week 7 and its been a real roller coaster on my face. the first two weeks were really bad and ever since then its been like an on and off thing. one day my skin will be almost completely clear and the next i'll breakout, or maybe i'll have no zits, but then my skin will get really dry and now last week i had a really bad breakout from being almost clear and this week its gone back to good, but both sides of my face are all red now. its wierd, but it has certainly helped marks that were on my face from prior zits.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm just scared to start using it because of the initial breakout. My face is pretty bad right now as it is (about 30 pimples), but I have noticed some healing on my chin and cheek area. I have been taking Minocycline for the past 7 weeks, but without a topical ointment. I just don't want to wait around forever to see results, and I definitely DO NOT WANT TO GET THAT INITIAL BREAKOUT :oops:

i hate acne and i'm beginning to hate life.

aw, mandala, i read u live in new york? is it new york city, b/c i live in nyc too and the weather is HELL RIght now isn't it! it totally agravates ur skin!