Notifications
Clear all

Iodine in my multivitamin supplement: is 150mg enough to cause acne?

MemberMember
(@naughtyneighbor)

Posted : 12/16/2007 10:40 pm

hey guys,

i'm a 16 y/o male and the last 3 weeks i've cut milk/dairy out of my diet with no obvious results or improvement in my acne, but i realized that my multivitamin suppliment i've been taking for the last ~3 years has 150mg iodine (bottle says thats 100% DV)

would this be enough to cause more acne on my face?

also, do you think it's safe to go back to milk? i truly miss it hehe and i don't think it added to my acne before. should i cut out the iodine for a few weeks and then if no results happen go back to milk and my daily vitamin?

is it just excessive iodine that would cause more acne? what kind of foods are high in iodine that might lead me to having a lot more than i think i am?

thanks in advance

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 12/17/2007 12:12 am

That is a lot of iodine. If that was the only iodine that was in your diet, you might be ok. However, the modern western diet has a lot of iodine in it - due to high intake of dairy, salty foods (including most overprocessed packaged foods - lots of salt in those), etc. Seafood has a lot too. Personally, I would look for a multivitamin that does not have iodine (or kelp) in it. Maybe do the dairy in moderation?

MemberMember
(@naughtyneighbor)

Posted : 12/17/2007 3:12 am

mm I think it is mcg but i think you interpreted it that way anyway ;) thanks for the tips, i'll see if i can find an equivalent multivitamin without iodine.

anyone have any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@whacne)

Posted : 12/17/2007 8:29 pm

mm I think it is mcg but i think you interpreted it that way anyway ;) thanks for the tips, i'll see if i can find an equivalent multivitamin without iodine.

anyone have any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@kramerica)

Posted : 12/18/2007 8:44 am

Rainbow Light makes a variety of multi vitamins without iodine.

MemberMember
(@naughtyneighbor)

Posted : 12/20/2007 3:40 am

MemberMember
(@kramerica)

Posted : 12/20/2007 8:54 am

Interesting. This one seems like it would be a great multivitamin:

http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.asp...e0-c57e59afd2d9

Only problem is it's not chewable, though. What i've found with multivitamins are the pills are so compressed that they don't even get completely dissolved in your body and you just poop it right out (yeah i've looked in the toilet and saw it floating haha)

do you have any personal expereince with rainbowlight and how easily it dissolves?

a simple thing i do is put it in a cup of water and if it doesnt mostly dissolve its usually not a good sign; i know that stomach acids would break it down but i've seen some that can dissolve very quickly

if anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know. i hope iodine would be one of the factors of my acne; especially the periodic annoying slow-developing cystic acne on my nose

MemberMember
(@kramerica)

Posted : 12/20/2007 9:07 am

Interesting. This one seems like it would be a great multivitamin:

http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.asp...e0-c57e59afd2d9

Only problem is it's not chewable, though. What i've found with multivitamins are the pills are so compressed that they don't even get completely dissolved in your body and you just poop it right out (yeah i've looked in the toilet and saw it floating haha)

do you have any personal expereince with rainbowlight and how easily it dissolves?

a simple thing i do is put it in a cup of water and if it doesnt mostly dissolve its usually not a good sign; i know that stomach acids would break it down but i've seen some that can dissolve very quickly

if anyone else has any other suggestions, please let me know. i hope iodine would be one of the factors of my acne; especially the periodic annoying slow-developing cystic acne on my nose

MemberMember
(@smile-for-me)

Posted : 12/23/2007 8:30 pm

Flinstones!!!!

=)

*i'm serious*

MemberMember
(@glass-danse)

Posted : 12/23/2007 9:07 pm

theres a lot more to acne than iodone. ill give you a quick rundown

add in: fresh fruits and vegetables, most meats. add in taurine and omega 3 fatty acids. make sure you get enough antioxidants. lastly, zinc is very important. getting enough of those 4 things will help you a lot. i supplement my omega 3 and antioxidants

take out: processed foods, dairy, greasy foods. eat natural foods more often. brown rice is better than white rice. when eating bread try to get it toasted and try to eat rye if at all possile. eat foods low in glycemic index

MemberMember
(@lightspeed)

Posted : 01/06/2008 10:38 am

I think you mean 150 ug (micro-grams) becuase I believe that is the DV. I have found a great supplement with everything I wannt only problem is has iodine aswel. Dunno how bad it can be.

MemberMember
(@amos)

Posted : 01/06/2008 10:48 am

I have Been taking Natures Own ALive multivitamin for a very long time, which contains iodine. I have read somewhere that acne can be casued by iodine so i stopped taking it. Well there was no improvement. After that i read about a women that did some different levels of iodine intakes and it did not affect her, so i am back on the multivitamin.

You need to find a hihgly absorbing multivitamin. Centrum SUCKS. I only take 2 tablets versus 3 because i eart alot of fruits, etc.

MemberMember
(@smc0617)

Posted : 01/06/2008 11:17 am

i would stay clear of the iodine...it's known to cause acne. you may want to look for a new vitamin that doesn't contain it. look for a good one with zinc, vitamin a and d.

MemberMember
(@naughtyneighbor)

Posted : 01/13/2008 3:10 am

I have Been taking Natures Own ALive multivitamin for a very long time, which contains iodine. I have read somewhere that acne can be casued by iodine so i stopped taking it. Well there was no improvement. After that i read about a women that did some different levels of iodine intakes and it did not affect her, so i am back on the multivitamin.

You need to find a hihgly absorbing multivitamin. Centrum SUCKS. I only take 2 tablets versus 3 because i eart alot of fruits, etc.

MemberMember
(@jules-2)

Posted : 01/24/2008 2:15 am

Why are people saying that Iodine causes acne? I'm a bit confused. I take iodine for my thyroid, which is slowly helping my skin with all the other things I'm doing. I just don't see the logic in iodine causing breakouts.

MemberMember
(@althena9)

Posted : 01/30/2008 1:40 am

Some people are affected by the iodine in this way0--as I was and actually still am due to the fact I love milk and sharp cheddar, especially with things like tuna fish--a lunch with those adds about 155mcg of iodine:>>{{{I know for sure this is what the problem is, because today I experimented and only drank a few ounces of milk. Normally, my skin looks pretty good in the morning (I use the best botanical based stuff for my skin and a salicylic acid product by origins, which is natural) but by evening my blackheads are back with a vengeance along with a few other raised red spots etc. Well today they stayed away. Im sad because I LOVE all the aforementioned things--and save for all that iodine they are all good for me. Im going to switch to the organic versions of those and see if that makes a difference. At the very least I am not going to eat all those things at once again--at least not until my skin clears for good. Im thinking that my skin has to detoxify first (which im doing at night with chlorella, grape seed extract, gotu kola and bee pollen. If you guys havent tried natural supplements to help you , you need to at least give taking some omega 3 fatty acids and a super B complex a try as well as the other ones I mentioned. Yes, the chlorella has 20mcg of iodine per 500mg, but it detoxifies. My problem always ends up being what I take during the day--and as luck would have it, my vitamin supplement does not say it has iodine, yet one of the ingredients in it is PACIFIC KELP!DER!That stuff has 415mcg of iodine in 1/4 cup!)

M

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 01/30/2008 9:09 am

Why are people saying that Iodine causes acne? I'm a bit confused. I take iodine for my thyroid, which is slowly helping my skin with all the other things I'm doing. I just don't see the logic in iodine causing breakouts.
MemberMember
(@mango1)

Posted : 05/01/2013 12:40 pm

Iodine is an essential nutrient, and necessary for your thyroid to function. If milk causes you to break out, it's probably because of the hormones in milk (all milk has hormones). Or some say that the pasteurization denatures some of the proteins in milk and that raw milk doesn't make them break out. But if iodine itself seems to cause breakouts for you, that's most likely because it actually detoxes toxic heavy metals out like fluoride and bromide, which get embedded in your body and bones. If you have too much fluoride and bromide floating around in your body, that can make you break out. The skin is sometimes called the third kidney because a lot of toxins come out that way. I noticed I was breaking out a lot less when I stopped drinking the fluoridated tap water, and it went away even more with the iodine supplement. I think I was deficient before though, but if you avoid all iodine you will probably eventually get hypothyroid, dry skin, low energy, cold body temperature and feel cold all the time, and even acne. I had all of those things and they are getting better fast just from iodine supplements & avoiding fluoride.