Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nevelfee

nutrition advice for a veggie girl with mild acne?

Hey everyone.

Allow me to introduce myself =). I'm a 19-year old girl from the Netherlands. I've been "struggling" with mild, but persistant acne since age 14. At the moment, the skin of my face looks fairly good. I only get 2-3 spots on my chin during PMS week. I have some clogged pores and small impurities, but I go to an esthetician every 6 weeks to take care of those. Overall, it's not that bad, but there is still room for improvement.

The situation on my back and chest is a little worse. I usually have 10-15 small spots on my shoulders and chest. It looks ugly and makes me feel pretty insecure.

I have tried using BP but I had an allergic reaction to Dan's 2,5% gel. I started off with a small amount but it itched and burned like hell and made my face turn red/purple. It gave me a rash on my chest and back. It was the same with the 5% from another brand, so I guess BP just isn't for me. Here's what I'm doing at the moment:

morning

Wash with Eucerin's salycic acid cleanser.

Apply Eucerin's 2% lactic acid gel.

evening

Apply pure Aloe Vera gel.

I've been taking zinc supplements, 50 mg zinc gluconate / zinc citrate daily, for about 2 months. I'm under the impression that my skin is improving from it. I'm still getting zits, but they tend to heal faster. My skin looks The best part: my t-zone isn't oily anymore! My skin is now normal-dry.

Than there is the diet part. I've been a vegetarian since age 12. Before that, I used to eat a small serving of meat about 3 times a week. I don't eat fish, but I do consume eggs (about 2-3 a week) and dairy (mostly yoghurt). Besides that, my diet mostly consists of cereals, whole-wheat bread, pasta, rice and *lots* of veggies and fruits. As for drinks, I like water (2 liters a day, mineral when I can afford it), herbal teas and wine. I don't eat junk food and rarely eat sweets. Oh, and I have been caffeine-free for two weeks :dance:. My worst vice has to be pot, but I don't really plan on quitting. I smoke only during the week-ends and it makes me feel happy and relaxed.

Well, to make along story even longer... I was hoping you holistic guys can help me to improve my skin through supplements and/or diet. I don't want to use high-dose b5, but besides that, any advice is much welcomed! Thanks in advance =).

Hey everyone.

Allow me to introduce myself =). I'm a 19-year old girl from the Netherlands. I've been "struggling" with mild, but persistant acne since age 14. At the moment, the skin of my face looks fairly good. I only get 2-3 spots on my chin during PMS week. I have some clogged pores and small impurities, but I go to an esthetician every 6 weeks to take care of those. Overall, it's not that bad, but there is still room for improvement.

The situation on my back and chest is a little worse. I usually have 10-15 small spots on my shoulders and chest. It looks ugly and makes me feel pretty insecure.

I have tried using BP but I had an allergic reaction to Dan's 2,5% gel. I started off with a small amount but it itched and burned like hell and made my face turn red/purple. It gave me a rash on my chest and back. It was the same with the 5% from another brand, so I guess BP just isn't for me. Here's what I'm doing at the moment:

morning

Apply Eucerin's 2% lactic acid gel.

evening

Apply pure Aloe Vera gel.

I've been taking zinc supplements, 50 mg zinc gluconate / zinc citrate daily, for about 2 months. I'm under the impression that my skin is improving from it. I'm still getting zits, but they tend to heal faster. My skin looks The best part: my t-zone isn't oily anymore! My skin is now normal-dry.

Than there is the diet part. I've been a vegetarian since age 12. Before that, I used to eat a small serving of meat about 3 times a week. I don't eat fish, but I do consume eggs (about 2-3 a week) and dairy (mostly yoghurt). Besides that, my diet mostly consists of cereals, whole-wheat bread, pasta, rice and *lots* of veggies and fruits. As for drinks, I like water (2 liters a day, mineral when I can afford it), herbal teas and wine. I don't eat junk food and rarely eat sweets. Oh, and I have been caffeine-free for two weeks :dance:. My worst vice has to be pot, but I don't really plan on quitting. I smoke only during the week-ends and it makes me feel happy and relaxed.

Well, to make along story even longer... I was hoping you holistic guys can help me to improve my skin through supplements and/or diet. I don't want to use high-dose b5, but besides that, any advice is much welcomed! Thanks in advance =).

Ok, a lot of vegetarians eat too many grain products and you said you eat a lot of wheat bread, pasta, rice, cereals. try replacing a lot of those with beans, nuts, starchy veggies like potatoes or squash and in general just cut down on the grains. make sure you are getting healthy fats as well. i used to smoke pot a lot and i didn't notice it making my acne any worse so i don't know if that is a problem. try shifting to a diet that is considerably lower in grains and includes more healthy fats.

Thanks for the advice, Samariah. This really helps :). Could you recommend me some good sources of these healthy fats? Are avocados any good?

By any chance, do you know what bloodtype you are? I follow the advice of the blood type diet Dr. Dadamo. It could be you are sensitive to dairy, or maybe wheat. You could still eat

grains, but avoid wheat. Like quinoa instead of wheat......But what Samariah said sounds helpful. Also, have you heard of Gillian McKeith from the UK? She recommends zinc rich foods and efa's for acne, which I think you may be doing. She does like avocados, but she

also recommends fish. Maybe you could take a supplement for that instead....

If you are mainly getting it on your shoulders, chest, or back, it might not be acne. It could be Pityrosporum Folliculitis. Search it on google.

I also know that people in my family sometimes get acne on their back, chest and shoulders during the winter when it gets more dry, and using a heavy moisturizer can help. My upper back and hips get really dry, and if I don't use moisturizer on those two spots, I get some acne, and red bumps.