Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMern

Interesting Situation...I'd Appreciate Some Input.

Okay, well to give you some background: I started getting bad acne on my face, chest, back, and neck about 2 or so years ago. Went to a dermatologist, he prescribed me Tetracycline and Retin-A. Used these for a year and half and they worked well, got me clear.

Then, about six months ago, my acne started to come back, regardless of my medication and topical use. Went to the derm again, he switched my meds from Tetracycline to Minocycline. This did not help, and the acne got worse. Went back to the derm, switched me from Minocycline to Erythromycin. This also did not help, and it got worse. They also gave me Differin, which I thought to be working somewhat although it was irritating the hell out of my skin, but it proved to not be very effective.

I had one of my worst breakouts ever around Thanksgiving, and I decided to take a different, holistic approach. Bought an acne book that gave me some suggestions, and I learned how Candida can cause acne. So, this is my daily regime:

Barley Grass

Fish Oil supplements

Evening Primrose Oil supplements

Vitamin E supplements

Threelac (For Candida)

Cutting out sugars and fats from my diet as best as I can.

Now, this has cleared up my face tremendously, and I'm just waiting for the red marks to fade. BUT, and here's the kicker, the acne on my chest and neck seems to be coming in as bad as ever! I was thinking something Im taking may be aggravating the body acne, but how does something work on acne in some parts (my face) but not others (my body)? I've read about Candida die-off, and thought maybe that might cause a breakout or two, but I'm not getting much acne on my face at all! Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Do NOT cut out fats from your diet, that would definetly be a mistake. Eat more meats and less dairy. I found that dairy always caused acne on my back and chest. Nuts giving me acne on my neck.

Why is cutting out fats a bad idea? I thought that eating too much saturated fats and oils and such can cause/aggravate acne?

I'll say that I've mainly been eating like a vegetarian these past couple weeks. LOTS of salads and veggies, and occasionally some chicken or a sandwich or something.

Why is cutting out fats a bad idea? I thought that eating too much saturated fats and oils and such can cause/aggravate acne?

I'll say that I've mainly been eating like a vegetarian these past couple weeks. LOTS of salads and veggies, and occasionally some chicken or a sandwich or something.

Many members, including myself, have found that the opposite is true. A high fat and protein diet has proved beneficial for many people and has completely cleared others like Glein and Healthoid.

There is nothing wrong with saturated fats, that myth has been disproved long ago. And oils like olive oils are a great addition to any salad. You should check out the book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. :)

Before you take my word for it, check out this thread.

Okay, I will definitely try and use more olive oil. Thanks for your replies, guys, but what is really bugging me is how my chest and neck acne are at their worst ever, and my face is clearing up completely...has anyone ever experienced this?

Improve the ratio of good fat (monoinsaturated and polyinsaturated), and limit saturated fat (especially from animal sources) as well as completely avoid consuming trans fat /hydrogenated fat.

Yes transfats are horrible. Not only will avoiding them lower your cholesterol, it will most likely prevent you from having a heart attack later in life. Plus it will probably help your acne ;)

Okay, well to give you some background: I started getting bad acne on my face, chest, back, and neck about 2 or so years ago. Went to a dermatologist, he prescribed me Tetracycline and Retin-A. Used these for a year and half and they worked well, got me clear.

Then, about six months ago, my acne started to come back, regardless of my medication and topical use. Went to the derm again, he switched my meds from Tetracycline to Minocycline. This did not help, and the acne got worse. Went back to the derm, switched me from Minocycline to Erythromycin. This also did not help, and it got worse. They also gave me Differin, which I thought to be working somewhat although it was irritating the hell out of my skin, but it proved to not be very effective.

I had one of my worst breakouts ever around Thanksgiving, and I decided to take a different, holistic approach. Bought an acne book that gave me some suggestions, and I learned how Candida can cause acne. So, this is my daily regime:

Barley Grass

Fish Oil supplements

Evening Primrose Oil supplements

Vitamin E supplements

Threelac (For Candida)

Cutting out sugars and fats from my diet as best as I can.

Now, this has cleared up my face tremendously, and I'm just waiting for the red marks to fade. BUT, and here's the kicker, the acne on my chest and neck seems to be coming in as bad as ever! I was thinking something Im taking may be aggravating the body acne, but how does something work on acne in some parts (my face) but not others (my body)? I've read about Candida die-off, and thought maybe that might cause a breakout or two, but I'm not getting much acne on my face at all! Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.