Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoCold

Fructose - Some deeper science into how it affects acne sufferers.

I think most will do well enough by cutting out processed foods with HFCS and don't have to avoid fruit which contain valuable nutrients and fiber.

I think most will do well enough by cutting out processed foods with HFCS and don't have to avoid fruit which contain valuable nutrients and fiber.

I believe that most of the fructose in our diet comes from HFCS and sucrose because sucrose is made of 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Just cutting out HFCS won't do it. It will help, but a good chunk, if not the majority, of our dietary fructose comes from added sweeteners, like sucrose (cane sugar), honey (similar sugar profile to HFCS), and fruit juice concentrate-based sweeteners. This also includes fruit juice because the starches in the fruit that would ordinarily balance the fructose when they're converted to glucose by our system, are removed. Wheat is another source of fructose because it contains fructans, which are long chains of fructose molecules. As we all know, wheat is in almost any processed food we eat. Fructose is hidden everywhere in the western diet.

Fruits will not cause acne, and the fructose in them will not cause problems.

You are just avoiding every possible food, and you are all on the wrong track. I am not even going to explain this one.

Are you sure your not a doctor? You seem to have a lot of things in common with doctors, such as claiming to know exactly what doesn't affect acne. You know, stuff like grains and dairy and refined sugar?

I'm avoiding every food possible? Please do explain.

I am avoiding grains and dairy. (Perhaps you also don't think both of these affect acne?)

I am avoiding fruits high in fructose and refined sugar.

I guess I always have all kinds of meats, all kinds of vegetables, seeds, nuts and fruits.

Why post in a thread writing "you are all on the wrong track" without backing it up?

Posters such as LilliG, LivesInABox, and others (myself included) believe that fructose probably does have an important role.

So please, oh mighty one, enlighten us with your wisdom.

Fruits will not cause acne, and the fructose in them will not cause problems.

You are just avoiding every possible food, and you are all on the wrong track. I am not even going to explain this one.

Are you sure your not a doctor? You seem to have a lot of things in common with doctors, such as claiming to know exactly what doesn't affect acne. You know, stuff like grains and dairy and refined sugar?

I'm avoiding every food possible? Please do explain.

I am avoiding grains and dairy. (Perhaps you also don't think both of these affect acne?)

I am avoiding fruits high in fructose and refined sugar.

I guess I always have all kinds of meats, all kinds of vegetables, seeds, nuts and fruits.

Why post in a thread writing "you are all on the wrong track" without backing it up?

Posters such as LilliG, LivesInABox, and others (myself included) believe that fructose probably does have an important role.

So please, oh mighty one, enlighten us with your wisdom.

You included honey in the high fructose list but if I refer to one of Danny's post, real honey has a 1:1 glucose-fructose ratio and is actually VERY healthy, especially for the liver! You should look into it.

Hmm, thanks! I forgot Danny made quite an informative post on honey a while back. According to some sources it is higher in fructose, odd.. :think:

To anyone who thinks I am saying to stop eating fruits: Please, reread my post. Nowhere do I write, or even imply that you should top eating fruits. Fruits are by far my favorite foods, especially oranges and apples. All I am trying to point out, is that it is very easy to succumb to eating a diet of basically 75% or more of fruits, which I personally believe could be a problem for people who already have congested livers.

allo12345, thank you very much for the suggestion and information. I think it was SweetJade who also noticed that she got acne between her eyebrows from peanuts! I am definetly going to put nuts on trial for a bit. :) It really won't be a challenge considering I hardly eat any nuts anyways, I prefer sunflower seeds (which I don't think are the same, correct me if I'm wrong please! )

Since I have posted yesterday emphasizing that I never wrote or implied to avoid all fruits, two more people have now assumed I am trying to say that.

Amazing. :rolleyes:

Since I have posted yesterday emphasizing that I never wrote or implied to avoid all fruits, two more people have now assumed I am trying to say that.

Wow, lol. My only reason for not eating apples/oranges at this time is to exclude as much fructose as possible for a "limited" time. I'm not doing away with fruits for good, that's ridiculous unless you have some sort of allergy directly related to a specific fruit(s). My body probably isn't well (liver maybe), which I believe is why even small amounts of fructose could be causing me inflammation.

I'm simply testing...

Wow, lol. My only reason for not eating apples/oranges at this time is to exclude as much fructose as possible for a "limited" time. I'm not doing away with fruits for good, that's ridiculous unless you have some sort of allergy directly related to a specific fruit(s). My body probably isn't well (liver maybe), which I believe is why even small amounts of fructose could be causing me inflammation.

I'm simply testing...

Avoiding only certain fruits is just as dumb. I seriously think that way too many people on here are way too paranoid.

Acne because fructose is damaging your liver? I doubt it.

Liver damage does not even cause acne so stop worrying about it.

If you have tried avoiding grains and dairy for a significant amount of time with no improvement then you should just start looking into other things besides diet that could be causing your skin problems. You are wasting a lot of your life away by looking for every possible food that could be causing you problems.

So the conclusion is: avoid refined sugars (refined fructose, HFCS, sucrose, sucralose, aspartame etc). Nothing new there. :) Though the Taurine thing is interesting and I am probably gonna try that as a supplement!

So the conclusion is: avoid refined sugars (refined fructose, HFCS, sucrose, sucralose, aspartame etc). Nothing new there. :) Though the Taurine thing is interesting and I am probably gonna try that as a supplement!

I did a quick skim and I undoubtedly will read through it over and over and over again after saying just one thing: What the fuhhh!? This is so retarded that people who have acne/who are prone to acne (whatever the case) have to be so strict and careful with everything involving their skin--inner body health, outer body health. Every food put into our mouths is carefully thought about. Has anyone noticed how most people can eat ANYTHING and can just somehow have perfect skin? Yeah, lame. I hate most food due to my face. Awesome!

this is the stupid hypothesis ever.

It's one thing to disagree and explain your point of view, this comment however, is just as "stupid" as it's claim. I think you may have acne on the brain, lol that rhymes.

I did a quick skim and I undoubtedly will read through it over and over and over again after saying just one thing: What the fuhhh!? This is so retarded that people who have acne/who are prone to acne (whatever the case) have to be so strict and careful with everything involving their skin--inner body health, outer body health. Every food put into our mouths is carefully thought about. Has anyone noticed how most people can eat ANYTHING and can just somehow have perfect skin? Yeah, lame. I hate most food due to my face. Awesome!

this is the stupid hypothesis ever.

It's one thing to disagree and explain your point of view, this comment however, is just as "stupid" as it's claim. I think you may have acne on the brain, lol that rhymes.

I've read these fructose topics, and there is something I wonder about:

You say that the fats that are produced when your liver is congested with fructose, causes inflammation. Well, as far as I know, inflammation comes when your body tries to get rid of a infection, that's why the pimple gets red. Maybe I miss-understood (you mean that the fats causes infection?) Would like some details.

And I don't got a good overview of what foods that contains much fructose. I found this:

-"fructose is found in fruit, some vegetables, honey, and other plants"

But it seems a little short, since I've read here in the forums that some of you even avoid bread and ham (which I eat a lot)... Then I forgot that sucrose also contain fructose, so the list will be a lot longer.. Anyone have a good list of products to avoid?

You say that the fats that are produced when your liver is congested with fructose, causes inflammation. Well, as far as I know, inflammation comes when your body tries to get rid of a infection, that's why the pimple gets red. Maybe I miss-understood (you mean that the fats causes infection?) Would like some details.

And I don't got a good overview of what foods that contains much fructose. I found this:

But it seems a little short, since I've read here in the forums that some of you even avoid bread and ham (which I eat a lot)... Then I forgot that sucrose also contain fructose, so the list will be a lot longer.. Anyone have a good list of products to avoid?

Inflammation is a reaction that can be caused by the immune response like an allergy, or to an injury, as in an infection or a wound. It's basically your body saying "Woah, repair needed!", and sends lymph fluid and t-cells as well as many other chemicals to the area to repair it. It is actually a very complicated process involving many chemical chain reactions within the body. Inflammation can also be caused by compounds in your system like triglycerides, and though I don't know the precise mechanism for how triglycerides cause inflammation, the connection is nonetheless well documented.

The main sources of fructose are:

Sugar aka sucrose which is composed of 50% glucose and 50% fructose

High fructose corn syrup, and related sweeteners like corn syrup, corn syrup solids, etc

Ham is on the list because it frequently has a lot of added sugar to it. Unsweetened ham would not be a problem, but most ham is sweetened.

Wheat is high in fructans which are long chains of fructose molecules. A diet heavy in wheat (which it seems most processed foods are in one form or another) would be another source of fructose, though not as much as added sugar is.