Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xcrossmyheartx

I go to the derm tomorrow *nervous*

I was told to list all of the products I've tried and came with a whopping list of 48.

I really want accutane and don't want to 'try' anything else! I mean, who wants to use a tube of acne medication for the rest of their life :/

Anyone get accutane their first derm. visit?

I did. Well I didnt get it on the first visit obviously I had to get blood tests first. But he agreed with me that it was the only thing left for me to do. I didnt use too many topicals, just BP and oxy pads, they never worked. But when I went my face wasnt too bad but I did have a few inflammed cysts. I told him this is my face on a good day. I was also 7 months into minocycline with minimal changes.

Usually if it's your first visit to a derm they will try and prescibe you anti-biotics if you've never tried them.

It really depends on the doctor and how you explain your problems.

I was told to list all of the products I've tried and came with a whopping list of 48.

I really want accutane and don't want to 'try' anything else! I mean, who wants to use a tube of acne medication for the rest of their life :/

Anyone get accutane their first derm. visit?

It was suggested by my derm (during my first course of treatment) on the first appt. However I denied it. He gave me a flyer, and I thought my skin "was not that bad." But after months of antibiotics I realized I had no choice. This is my second course of treatment, and when I told the derm I was on it before, she said right away I need to get back on it. I do have cystic, scarring acne though.

Doesn't that just suck though? You waste the time going on antibiotics, it gets worse, and you are put on accutane anyways. blah, i dont know if mine is severe enough but i dont want to be taking something for the rest of my life!

I've got mild to moderate acne and I said to my doctor "I'd like to be put on Accutane" and my doctor asked "Do you have a history of depression?" I answered "No" and he asked "Do you suffer from dry skin or exema?" I answered "No" he asked if I'd tried more than ten topical treatments and modification of my diet. I said that I had, in fact tried probably about ten treatments, over the counter and mail order and I had been on the clear skin diet for 3 months with no results.

He said "Alright, here is your prescription. Stock up on moisturizers and chap stick... call me tomorrow when your blood work is done and if everything is good you can fill your prescription."

And that was it. I'm now on 50mg.

I have severe acne. I've tried many topicals and antibiotics and washes and stuff and nothing worked. I went to my dermatologist appointment in the early afternoon and by supper time I had already taken my first Accutane pill.

Hey guys-

Just an update if you're wondering. I didn't get Accutane. I am still fairly happy thogh, my dermatologist was extremely nice and resourceful when I had any questions. I was prescribed Differin 0.1 and Mono something to work together. I asked her about Accutane and she said that she would love to put me on it if the Differin didn't work. She is fairly new, around 3 years in that office, and said that it is just recommended that I try a topical atleast first. She also said that I'm lucky to be a guy because they only give Accutane to male patients now. Phew.

I'm going to be making a log so I hope you guys look forward to it :)

P.S. She told me to stop the dairy :( Makes me sad, since it IS my food group.

Sounds like me. I have been going to the derm since this past summer and he had me try 2 different kinds of antibiotics. After several months and my skin still hadn't changed, i started hoping for accutane. He asked me if i ever got depressed, and stupid me said "yes" so he denied me accutane; if only i had known i would have said "no"! gah.

my skin is worse than before seeing the derm, so yes, it does suck that they make you waste time on antibiotics when i could have been clear by now on accutane.

but hopefully my next visit on monday he will see that nothing is working and will finally give me accutane.

seems like a recurring theme, so at least i know i'm not the only one in this situation...

OH and btw, are any people on generic brands of accutane? that exists, right? and how much of a price difference is there from the generic and accutane?

i also got on tane the first day i visited a derm. i got bloodwork, signed up for ipledge, and picked up my prescriptions in a matter of hours.