Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been through a weird sequence of events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmh6e1W9EM

Had laser hair removal on my beard a couple years ago. I got bad acne as a side effect and had to go on accutane. Now I have no acne, but the laser hair removal left me with patchy hair loss on my face.

My skin is essentially perfect. But I'm really depressed about my beard hair. It's so patchy and because my skin is pale it even looks weird when I am clean shaven (see picture).

I won't go for more laser hair removal to try and fix it. I've already been for about 20 sessions and the patchiness only kept getting worse. Also I don't want to have acne as a reaction again.

So I'm kinda stuck with my face like this. All the doctors I've seen tell me that the hair will NOT grow back. I'm so upset.

post-64023-1197463145_thumb.jpg

post-64023-1197463145_thumb.jpg

Your not that hidious, in fact I would consider changing places with you. Im sorry to hear about the beard but you must be so glad your acne has cleared. Why dont you try Hair clinics like Belgravia? if this fails you you really want hair then consider using false hair. Change your perspective, dont think you dont have a beard, think you dont have acne.

heh. a fake beard. that's a good one.

well after posting this i decided to shave really close for the first time in a year. i looked at myself in the mirror and the patchiness doesnt look near as bad as in the old picture i posted.

i guess some hair has grown back. there are only about 10 bald spots instead of them being all over in a checker pattern. but it still looks weird.

plus i cant shave this close everyday. i get too much irritation. i can only shave this close once a week.

i wish i could grow a beard. thats when it looks the worst.

if i could go back in time i would have grown a full beard from puberty and never shaved. the reason i got it was for shaving irritation (ingrowns).

Not just saying this to make you feel better or trivialize your feelings, but it really does not look that bad. That is an upclose shot you have posted and even in that it is not super obvious. I guarantee you many people do not notice it.

That said, I understand why you are upset. I have a lot of problems with hair removal on my legs & getting them presentable to wear a skirt. I have pale skin & dark hair too.

Here's my advice: If you can't get a clean shave so that the hair pattern is not visible, try hair removal from the root, like plucking or waxing. Yes, they can cause ingrown hairs sometimes, but every form of hair removal will (as you know, I am sure). You can treat ingrowns & prevent with a little 2.5% salycic acid applied to the area everyday. Also exfoliate gently before any hair removal to also prevent ingrown hairs. Do it at night so your skin has time to calm down from any irritation. Plucking may take time, but it might be the way to go; it seems to be the least irritating way to remove hair cleanly.

I cut down on the irritation on my legs & can get a clean shave if I'm careful. Of course I am lucky they are my legs & I can just wear pants sometimes...

why did you get laser hair removal on your beard bra?

wat about a tan?

i dont know what to recommend, this seems to dwell in the realm of serious dermatological stuff so i suggest thats who you go to for answers, keep trying different ones if you have to

modern science is a miracle they say

i got laser hair removal cause i was in the marines and had to be clean shaven twice a day. i got really bad folliculitis from shaving so much. so a military doctor did laser. they use it a lot on the african american soldiers cause they get scarring from shaving to close.

thanks for the suggetions about salycic acid. i tried that and it makes things worse. i dont get ingrowns anymore since i am not in the military. and i can shave only once a day with an electric trimmer.

its really only a cosmetic problem now. im sure when i got out places there are people who dont notice. and people who notice but dont even care.

the problem is that I care. i pretty much have locked myself at home since my discharge and only go out at night when stores have no one in them. i stopped socializing altogether.

my only hope is an article i read from japan. doctors figured out how to inject some modified skin stem cells into your skin. and they grow new hair follicles. that would be great because the problem is that laser hair removal kills hair follicles forever. and you are only born with a certain number. so once its dead you are bald for life.

only thing is this treatment has only been done in mice. and it causes cancer. so its a long way off from me getting it. probably ten years or more if ever.

i got laser hair removal cause i was in the marines and had to be clean shaven twice a day. i got really bad folliculitis from shaving so much. so a military doctor did laser. they use it a lot on the african american soldiers cause they get scarring from shaving to close.

thanks for the suggetions about salycic acid. i tried that and it makes things worse. i dont get ingrowns anymore since i am not in the military. and i can shave only once a day with an electric trimmer.

its really only a cosmetic problem now. im sure when i got out places there are people who dont notice. and people who notice but dont even care.

the problem is that I care. i pretty much have locked myself at home since my discharge and only go out at night when stores have no one in them. i stopped socializing altogether.

my only hope is an article i read from japan. doctors figured out how to inject some modified skin stem cells into your skin. and they grow new hair follicles. that would be great because the problem is that laser hair removal kills hair follicles forever. and you are only born with a certain number. so once its dead you are bald for life.

only thing is this treatment has only been done in mice. and it causes cancer. so its a long way off from me getting it. probably ten years or more if ever.

anyone ever see the HBO show Entourage? I'm just watching it now. The gorgeous main character always has beard stubble. It looks really good . . .

I don't know why society says men have to be clean shaven. I wish I could go back in time. I'd never have gotten that stupid laser hair removal. A much more effective treatment is just to use a beard trimmer and keep a close stubble.

are you a girl or something?

why the fuck would you get laser hair removal, if youre a girl then sorry

anh, solution: WAX your beard? :shifty:

ou remove whats left :think:

btw, your "ingrowns", are called folliculitis.

easily treated. The doctor who consulted you probably just wanted money -_-

That's what I said :shrug:

I mean, he's isolating himself anyway, so deal with a few ingrowns for awhile and remove the rest, either permanently or temporarily.

Even if not SA, there's a lot of other products to help with folliculitis (OTC and prescription). I got a prescription for my legs that was great, but it ran out so I looked for OTC options. I'm still looking for something better than Paula's Choice SA, but it's okay in the meantime. I heard Mandelic acid might be good, and I had some success with a witch hazel toner before.

Just keep trying. It's not hopeless!

That's what I said :shrug:

I mean, he's isolating himself anyway, so deal with a few ingrowns for awhile and remove the rest, either permanently or temporarily.

Even if not SA, there's a lot of other products to help with folliculitis (OTC and prescription). I got a prescription for my legs that was great, but it ran out so I looked for OTC options. I'm still looking for something better than Paula's Choice SA, but it's okay in the meantime. I heard Mandelic acid might be good, and I had some success with a witch hazel toner before.

Just keep trying. It's not hopeless!

are you a girl or something?

why the fuck would you get laser hair removal, if youre a girl then sorry

lol

hirsutism that severe? haha guess not

He's man. of course.

One of the other side effects of the laser was very bad acne (which I never had before). The derm said it stimulated my oil glands. So I had to go on Accutane.

The tane cleared me up but now my skin is super sensitive. I can't even shave regularly like most men. Waxing would be a BIG mistake for me.

P.s. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience. But after laser hair removal I started getting blackheads with burnt hairs trapped in them. I would squeeze them out of bulging pores. They were really hard like a bead of amber with a bug trapped in it. Except there was a dark, burnt beard hair in it. Really nasty stuff . . .

this isn't critisism but getting your beard lasered, omg, i just would never do that. its not like i enjoy shaving either but still