Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Case#

50% Glycolic Chemical Peel Gone Bad- HELP!

I NEED HELP!!!

I applied 50% glycolic acid peel to skin 2 Nights Ago. It was AWFUL. I left it on too long and am experiencing now red face and scabbing. First my face turned white which I now know is something called frosting. I've had antibiotic ointment on my face (Bacitracin + 1% Hydrocortisone) for two days straight and not going outside. The cheeks are the most sensitive area on the face and I know thats why I have redness there. I had swelling on my cheeks for the last two days but that has subsided a lot now.

Basically, I have dark scab/purplish spot on my right cheek and I have antibiotic ointment packed on it. I have brown redness in the creases around my mouth - smile/nasiolabial folds (I dont have folds or wrinkles there - but in that area it is darker reddish). I have this dark reddish on the right side of my chin and jaw line. My forehead has tiny scab spots in the middle and beyond that the area in general is darker reddish. My templeshave scab spots too.

I am DESPERATE TO KNOW IF I HAVE PERMANENTLY SCARRED MYSELF. Can anyone offer me advice asap. I can only wash with lukewarm water right now - anything warmer stings my face -- I wash 4 times a day and then pack on the antibiotic ointment with hydrocortisone over that in the more injured places. My face is REALLY TIGHT right after I wash my face and dry it. The only way I can talk or move it is when I put the ointment on. I have read that 100% all natural Alow Vera will help as well and I have a friend going to the whole foods store to pick some up for me.

Please Help if you have any ideas, anyone. I am desperate to know if I have permanently scarred myself and Christmas and NEW Years are right around the corner...

~ Help!

I am DESPERATE TO KNOW IF I HAVE PERMANENTLY SCARRED MYSELF. Can anyone offer me advice asap. I can only wash with lukewarm water right now - anything warmer stings my face -- I wash 4 times a day and then pack on the antibiotic ointment with hydrocortisone over that in the more injured places. My face is REALLY TIGHT right after I wash my face and dry it. The only way I can talk or move it is when I put the ointment on. I have read that 100% all natural Alow Vera will help as well and I have a friend going to the whole foods store to pick some up for me.

Please Help if you have any ideas, anyone. I am desperate to know if I have permanently scarred myself and Christmas and NEW Years are right around the corner...

~ Help!

Hi,

Relax - it will all pass though you feel scared now. If desired then take Vitamin E capsules (400 IU's) of vitamin E geltatin capsules and cut a small hole and put the vitamin E oil on the affected areas twice daily. Vitamin E - especially when in concentrated form not only speeds up healing but also significantly decreases the risk of scarring. You used glycolic acid chemical peel can chemically not penetrate very deep - not even at high concentrations. Yes, you will be red and it could take up to 3 months to recover and to get normal color of your skin. I know this as a fact because I got a laser peeling 10 years ago and it took 2 months before the redness dissaperead (I looked totally like a lobster for 2 monts). And I just did a TCA peel with 35% TCA and prepared my skin with 20% salicylic acid - and again parts of my face look like lobster and got all swollen up..But now, 3 weeks later it is much better and will continue to improve.

Though you feel scared right now then you will be fine. Vitamin E could help as mentioned above. Make sure to stay out of the sun - that is a must.

Everything you describe is normal - including the frosting part and scabs - it is part of the healing proces.

Hopefully this will make you feel better.