Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShockBotkins

Creme or Lotion For 10% AHA?

Which is best for the use of AHA? I read creme was the better option but wanted to make sure before I buy some from alpha hydrox.

I recommend the lotion for delivering AHA. Lotion is thinner than cream and will absorb better/more easily. You'll especially want the thinner consistency since you're applying the lotion to your face along with other topicals like bp (assuming you're on the regimen).

Where did you read that the cream was better? It likely is better if that's the only thing you use since cream will be more moisturizing and probably a little less irritating (possibly because the glycolic acid doesn't absorb as well). The best thing to do, though, is to use the AHA lotion along with your moisturizer of choice. This way you don't rely on the AHA lotion to do the moisturizing. For example, I usually mix my moisturizer and AHA lotion together in my hand and apply them at the same time.

Probably does not matter much. The lotion may be preferable for two reasons:

1) Cream usually contain thickening agents that pose some more potential for clogged pores.

2) lotions are lighter and easier to work into the skin. A cream could take longer and require more rubbing which could lead to increased irritation.

Just find a product you like and suits your skin, though. Experimentation is everything.