Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JeNNa86

Spiro and bc pills

My doc said that the added hormones in BC pills could be the cause of my acne. I was on spiro and it was working great for the first 5 wks, then I started BC 3 weeks ago and I've been breaking out ever since. I'm on Yasmin, but when he said that I might just be sensitive to the added hormones from the pill I'm considering stopping the Yasmin so I can have clear skin.

My doc said that the added hormones in BC pills could be the cause of my acne. I was on spiro and it was working great for the first 5 wks, then I started BC 3 weeks ago and I've been breaking out ever since. I'm on Yasmin, but when he said that I might just be sensitive to the added hormones from the pill I'm considering stopping the Yasmin so I can have clear skin.

Hi. The clearest skin I ever had was when I took BCP. I loved my skin. After many years I had to stop because it raised my blood pressure too much. Some people do breakout with the pill, but I would think both the pill and the spiro would upset the hormonal balance too much. I think the bcp is also safer than the spironolactone. If you need to take the bcp for birth control, then I would just try that alone and quit the spiro. Good luck!

It's hard to say because everyone has different hormone levels. My daughter took BCP for a couple of years and they worked great. Suddenly they stopped working and so we added Sprio. She broke out badly for the first 3 months but now she's 95% clear. The combo of the two seem to be working fine for her and her doctor didn't seem to think they adversely interact with each other. Actually alot of women on Sprio are also on BCP because with Sprio alone, it's very possible you will have irregular periods. I've known some women who do great on BCP's for acne and others who don't. I'd go with whatever advice your doctor gives you..

I'm on both spiro and BCP. My derm added in spiro because the BCP by itself wasn't enough at the time. She may wean me off the spiro eventually, she said. So it was my understanding that the combo was better than just one alone, but who knows.