Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beckwith

what else have I not tried?

I've had acne since I was a teenager, and I'm over 30 now. My acne is basically like this: every week I'll get a big pimple somewhere, cheek or chin usually, that seems to just come out of nowhere. Big ones, although I don't know if I'd characterize them as cysts. If they end up coming out, they're usually a solid, little white pellet sort of thing (papule?).

Here are a few of the things I've tried for my acne (over the course of many years):

-several dermatologists and their very short attention spans

-retin-A, clindamycin

-about a dozen or so BP and SA products, including Proactiv, Dan's, Murad, Kiehl's, Johnson & Johnson Clean and Clear

-toners with alcohol, toners without, masks made of this and that, moisturizing and not moisturizing, washing often and washing only twice a day

-Zeno

-Omega 3 capsules

-some other supplements that I heard about from this site that for some reason I'm still buying... Guggul bolic and Beta Sitosterol

-green tea

-changing my diet in the following ways: cutting out red meat, dairy, soy, sugar, gluten, oil, fried foods, nuts

-most recently, I tried to follow this theory that certain foods, like grains, are spiking my blood sugar and causing an improper insulin response, something like that, I might have it wrong. But in any case, I'm eating as clean as I can think...

And possibly a bunch of other things that I'm not remembering right now.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any ideas of anything I haven't tried yet?

I don't really want to try accutane, because there's no way I can near afford it right now, plus I don't know if I could find someone who would put me on that with the kind of acne I have.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

I've had acne since I was a teenager, and I'm over 30 now. My acne is basically like this: every week I'll get a big pimple somewhere, cheek or chin usually, that seems to just come out of nowhere. Big ones, although I don't know if I'd characterize them as cysts. If they end up coming out, they're usually a solid, little white pellet sort of thing (papule?).

Here are a few of the things I've tried for my acne (over the course of many years):

-retin-A, clindamycin

-about a dozen or so BP and SA products, including Proactiv, Dan's, Murad, Kiehl's, Johnson & Johnson Clean and Clear

-toners with alcohol, toners without, masks made of this and that, moisturizing and not moisturizing, washing often and washing only twice a day

-Zeno

-Omega 3 capsules

-some other supplements that I heard about from this site that for some reason I'm still buying... Guggul bolic and Beta Sitosterol

-green tea

-changing my diet in the following ways: cutting out red meat, dairy, soy, sugar, gluten, oil, fried foods, nuts

-most recently, I tried to follow this theory that certain foods, like grains, are spiking my blood sugar and causing an improper insulin response, something like that, I might have it wrong. But in any case, I'm eating as clean as I can think...

I don't really want to try accutane, because there's no way I can near afford it right now, plus I don't know if I could find someone who would put me on that with the kind of acne I have.

(haven't logged in for wow a long time :}

here's what i decided to do about 4-5 months ago.. i quit EVERYTHING, wash my face with warm water in the morning, and at night with liquid soap (shall look at the brand tonight) my GP prescribed..

skin feels good... have the occasional pimple, maybe 1-2 per month if that but for the rest it's doing great, no more cremes and ointments on my face when i go to bed, no more pills..

for me this was the best thing i did... and keep in mind i had moderate/mild acne for +25 years.

I have 2 for you, both worked.

-Dandruff shampoo-

That's what I'm using now, I wash my face twice a day with it and it is doing awesome!!! I have very sensitive skin and the shampoo doesn't bother it at all. Just make sure you moisturize, I use Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing gel. It has cleared all the acne from my lips up and the acne on my chin is starting to go away too. I've been doing it for 2 weeks.

-Urine-

Don't gross out, urine is not a waste product so hear me out. Your blood travels to the liver, where all the toxins are removed and also sugars (removed or added). These toxins are transferred to the gal bladder and leave the body in the form of bile in the stool. After being cleaned by the liver the blood moves to the kidneys where they remove any access material and balance your blood. It removes water (depending on what you drink your urine will be around 98% water) and access minerals, vitamins and even antibodies, just anything that is in excess in the blood. I have tried the urine and it did work, it also work wonders on taking the red out of your skin. I think the dandruff shampoo is working faster for me, but many here use and swear by the urine. If you've tried everything else give it a go.

Urine?

Are you talking about drinking it or applying it topically?

I use urine in my morning shower, and I think it's been working somewhat. Urine has antibacterial properties, and I also noticed it works well for removing oil from my face. I just cup my hands and splash it over my face a few times, gently rubbing the face to further remove the oil from it (I have very oily skin).

You could try zinc supplements, I hear those work. I'm taking some right now. Zinc monomethionine (commonly called Opti-Zinc) seems to be the most effective form of zinc, although its a bit tougher to find where to purchase. Both pharmacies near me don't stock it :(.

In terms of your diet, I think red meat should be fine. Also, try cutting out chocolate if you haven't cut that out yet. And you didn't mention iodine, make sure to cut that out for the most part too. Watch out for high iodine things like kelp, seaweed, iodized salt. Also, vitamin supplements sometimes contain kelp as an inactive ingredient, so make sure to check that if you're buying vitamins.

You mention a lot of things that you cut out, but what does your diet consist of? Are you making sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and good oils?

I find that a salad with olive oil is really good to get omega fatty acids and vegetables, and I try to eat about 3 fruits a day (kiwis are great for vitamin C and a bunch of other things).

Are you drinking 8 cups of water a day?

Sleeping enough?

That's all I can think of for now.

-retin-A, clindamycin

-Zeno

-Omega 3 capsules

-green tea

Some people on the forum are having some success with Finacea. It is Rx in the states but over the counter in Canada and Australia. Other names for it at Skinoren and Azelex (sp?). Do a search for Finacea and read some of the posts. Maybe it is something to consider. I'm planning on giving it a try myself.

-Cram

Have you looked into the possibility of Blue/red light treatment? Its fairly expensive for a light machine but could be a great investment if it works for you?

As for my diet, I eat mostly chicken or fish, salad and some brown rice. I eat apples for snacks, usually. I drink plenty of water. The one thing I do not get enough of is sleep. I have horrible insomnia. The other thing is I'm stressed out almost all the time. So those things could definitely be contributing factors.

The dandruff shampoo idea sounds interesting, but I've heard sodium laurel sulphate is bad for the skin, although I guess I haven't really experimented enough to know if it would affect my skin.

The urine thing... yeah, I'll hold out a little longer lol..

The blue/red light thing sounds interesting. I'm reading the FAQ on the other page. The fact that it could damage your retinas if you don't wear goggles is a little frightening, though...

Try Psyllium husk, it really clears your inside, hence it shows on the outside.

3 tablespoons after each meal.

Helps with blood sugar levels too.

The blue/red light thing sounds interesting. I'm reading the FAQ on the other page. The fact that it could damage your retinas if you don't wear goggles is a little frightening, though...

Why not try Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Castile Soap.

1 - All natural ingredients

2 - Won't dry you out

3 - Won't break you out

4 - Rinses clean without that residue feeling

5 - Smells great

I use it for shampoo as well, works fine!

Why not try Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Castile Soap.

1 - All natural ingredients

2 - Won't dry you out

3 - Won't break you out

4 - Rinses clean without that residue feeling

5 - Smells great

I use it for shampoo as well, works fine!

Funny enough, I actually just bought the Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree soap maybe... two weeks ago(?). I think I might've actually read the thread by you guys (Amber and Bruce) and decided to give it a shot. I remember years and years ago, seeing it on my mom's washing machine and thinking how odd the label was. But I've been shopping at Whole Foods for over a decade, so I just popped in there and got some. So far, it seems to be pretty good. I have still gotten some blemishes, though, so I'm staying *cautiously* optimistic. I don't know how long I should keep with it, but I just bought a second bar and a small bottle of the liquid version, too, so I'm sure I'll be using it for at least several months.

As for the light machine, yeah, my acne is not really what I'd consider mild, so I'm not sure how effective it would be. I don't have a ton of zits, but the ones I get are warriors; they don't just run up the white flag after a couple days of BP. :(

Anyway, yeah, this is what I'm doing on Christmas Eve. Yikes. Happy holidays everyone...

every week I'll get a big pimple somewhere, cheek or chin usually, that seems to just come out of nowhere. Big ones, although I don't know if I'd characterize them as cysts. If they end up coming out, they're usually a solid, little white pellet sort of thing (papule?).