Notifications
Clear all

Redsquirrels Accuntane Log

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/10/2007 6:33 pm

Hi,

I started accuntane on the 7th december and am currently on 40mg a day.

This is my second course of accuntane (first being 1999-2000) and it massively cleared my acne, especially my back which got very bad at times. My face acne really improved (it was severe) but after a month of finishing the course, my acne slowly returned - but not as bad.

I had tried all types of stuff after that to various results - B5 and Dans regimen worked for 1-2 years, it didnt completly clear but i was only getting a couple spots a week at most.

Tried dieting etc again to various results but after a few years i just got fed up and slowly started eating like my old ways.

Anyway decided enough for enough a few months ago and and now back on it.

DAY ONE

After a lot of hassle being able to get accuntane from the pharmacy I started that night. I was actually really considering to leave it off till after xmas because i remembered the terrible experience i had with it the first time (nose bleeds, severe breakouts, dry skin etc) but I took it anyway and have done since.

This pics were from that day.

left7thdecmediumze3.th.jpg

right7thdecmediumco1.th.jpg

DAY FOUR

So far I do not think I have had any major side effects. I had a bad headache earlier but I can't say whether that had anything to do with accuntane. I might be going a little dry, but it doesnt really seem that different. I expect in a few more days..

Im not sure if it shows in the pics, but i thought it looked better than day one - although not sure if my skin going a little red? (I did have a wash about 15 mins before taking pics so who knows..)

left10thdecmediumeq8.th.jpg

right10thdecmediumnc4.th.jpg

Anyways I will keep upto date with my log and see how things go! I hope it goes!!

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/12/2007 12:05 pm

Day Six

No pictures this update, maybe on the weekend.

Anyway nothing too major. My lips are dry-ish. Well dry enough to use lip balm anyway. Face feels a little dry, kinda burns a little but apparently doesnt look red or anything.

Thought I had a IB this morning, but i dont think its anything major. Sure i had a couple spots, but they seem to have calmed down.

I had been using zineryt lotion at night, but i stopped doing it last night because at the end of the day i want to stop using lotions etc and leave it to the accuntane.

Headaches seem to have eased off. So far so good.

MemberMember
(@xxxxx)

Posted : 12/12/2007 5:23 pm

What is this IB everyone is talking about?

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/12/2007 5:26 pm

IB is Initial Outbreak. For the spots to go, obviously the old spots must be pushed out.

I think Im having a small outbreak, but the past few days have been pretty good so it hasnt made much difference.

MemberMember
(@xxxxx)

Posted : 12/12/2007 5:35 pm

Ok, thx. Oh and keep posting pic throught the process, I really want to see what it does to you, I might be going on it :(

/scared

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/13/2007 5:37 pm

DAY SEVEN

Ok big change today.

# Face is dry as hell

# Face feels like burning sensation and appears very red!

# had a small breakout, mainly right side lower jaw area. No big spots, there is a few smaller areas with them.

Still, I can deal with it. I just need to try to get up earlier to probably make sure its got enough moistuiser to not shivle up!

MemberMember
(@xxxxx)

Posted : 12/13/2007 6:28 pm

Pics pics pics!! Please?

MemberMember
(@jessikak)

Posted : 12/13/2007 8:55 pm

What kind of moisturizer do you use?

You said you took accuntane before, when did the really bad side effects kick in?

I hope your course goes well. :D

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/14/2007 12:15 pm

DAY EIGHT

Okay picture time again!

Left Side

Right Side

I only just had a shower 15 mins ago so could look redder than it usually is.

Anyway as you can see, skin looks red but I don't really seem to have many (if any) active spots. Had a couple of whiteheads earlier that easily went away, just left with some nasty red marks while they are healing.

This morning when i washed and was getting ready for work, my face was burning like crazy!! After a couple hours it calmed down, and i hope the redness dissapeared.

Jessikak - I use some Euricin moisturiser at night and some other moisturiser during day. Why do I swap? Becuase the euricin stuff is good but it leaves my face pretty greasy and i dont like sticking that on if im going out.

When I was accuntane in 1999 i think it took 1 week to kick in, but i was on 60mg i think. As long as these are the only side effects i get Ill be happy!

Going out in a couple of hours for a friends birthday. Ill have a few drinks, in moderation of course Hopefully skin will be less red by then!

MemberMember
(@loelle)

Posted : 12/14/2007 3:54 pm

I noticed that my skin is really burning as well, mostly where the IB is. I hope that calms down soon, its quite distracting.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/15/2007 7:44 pm

DAY NINE

Not too bad today. I had a lie in and face wasnt too bad. Have had a few little whiteheads appear, nothing too bad.

However Last night i was running down the road and in the evening my feet were so sore that I couldnt walk! They still hurt now! Is this anything to do with the accutane? Im sure normally i wouldnt have such pain as this? Very strange.

Lip keep drying out badly.. and i just gone and lost my chap stick, lol.

Maybe pics tommorrow.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/16/2007 2:19 pm

DAY TEN

Meh. Before I had my wash, my skin looked awful. All dry, about 3-5 spots and a couple of lumpy ones forming under the skin. Is that a start to the IB? Just put me in a slightly bad mood regarding that. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't get a IB as my acne isnt too bad.

Anyway ill see what happens this week! No pics today as I didnt really want to take photos..sorry!

MemberMember
(@loelle)

Posted : 12/16/2007 5:18 pm

DAY NINE

However Last night i was running down the road and in the evening my feet were so sore that I couldnt walk! They still hurt now! Is this anything to do with the accutane? Im sure normally i wouldnt have such pain as this? Very strange.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/17/2007 4:57 pm

DAY ELEVEN

Was gonna take pics but left my camera charge lead at work. Hopefully ill remember tommorrow to take it home with me.

Anyway, definatly some sort of break out occuring now. Little patch by my left ear on the cheek has a few nasty spots, well thankfully turned into whiteheads and popped those

I had a patch on my right cheek that is really weird. Like loads of little pin prick spots under the skin, about 5 of them. Thankfully giving them the tiniest sqeeze cleared them out.

I have a few others but thankfully they cleared up pretty quickly, so just marks.

I got a couple of evil ones under my chin that are cyst like. Weirdly, i never had problems under my chin/neck until a few months ago. I don't know why they started appearing there when i never had problems before.

Besides that, skin is VERY dry. I wasnt expecting this dry only on 40MG. But since all my acne treatments started i found my skin always was dry so had to use moisturiser all the time anyway. It was the worst its been today, god knows what people at work thought when they saw my peeling chin and nose!

Ah well nearly two weeks done, and i finish up for work on friday for two weeks so that might make things easier. I'm hoping it kinda behaves itself for thursday as I got a work meal and some old work mates coming that i havent seen in 6 months or so.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/18/2007 5:23 pm

DAY TWELVE

Wow, time seems to be flying by now.

Anyway after yesterdays dissapointing results things seem better today. Most of the old spots are healing pretty quick. Infact my left check is pretty damn clear besides the red marks.

The right side is also not too bad, although still some weird spots under skin that seem to just be nesting there. Nothing major, just tiny areas with stuff in 'em

I hope under my chin clears soon because it sometimes hurts. Still cysty like, but not that big. Just very sore especially after shaving in the morning.

Started using my nighttime moisturiser in the day too which mostly keeps my skin okay, although chin still drys out by lunchtime.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/19/2007 5:57 pm

DAY THIRTEEN

Wasnt too bad this morning. Infact pretty much left side was looking very clear. The right still had some spots but meh. Face been dry as usual, lips are a pain in the ass that they are so dry.

Some family issues at home, which hasnt helped... i dont feel like this stuff will cause me depression but it doesnt help.

Anyway come home from a mates house, he started a conversation about moisturiser as he has a few spots recently.. i nearly said i was taking accutane but he said something else so i didnt bother. Have not told any mates or workmates about it, as I kinda feel embarrased in ways.

Anyway what I was leading onto is that the left side has now a few spots,nothing major but the right side is still flaring a little in a small area.

I have included photos this update but it surprised me - looking at photos from day eight it seems to have improved considerably - i dont seem to have as many red marks on my face which is good. Just looks redder now. I dont like how my face has this red haze that ends on my kneck. Kinda like a red beard heh

Left Side

Right Side

MemberMember
(@aubergine)

Posted : 12/19/2007 11:50 pm

DAY NINE

MemberMember
(@cavillor)

Posted : 12/19/2007 11:58 pm

I empathize with the foot pain! Mine is for a different reason (four different broken bones in my feet), but it's just the worst. There's no worse place to feel pain than in the feet, because it's impossible not to put weight on them (unless you're in a wheelchair).

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/20/2007 7:20 pm

DAY FOURTEEN

Well today was simular to yesterday. Had a couple small spots, but nothing major. Looking pretty clear in parts.

Hoping over next few days the old spots will dissapear, and should be a lot better. I am actually quite hopeful that i should be clear for new years actually. If I have had my IB then i will be happy with what i got in the past week or so.. its not been too bad.

Also my feet/legs have finally stopped aching. Really weird that. Still get the occasional ache and pain but nothing major.

One weird side effect (i think i had this the first time i went on accutane - the backs of my hands are full of little red marks. My red hand is covered in them, my left isnt as bad.

Red Marks on my right hand

MemberMember
(@ocjmakaveli)

Posted : 12/21/2007 11:25 am

DAY FOURTEEN

Well today was simular to yesterday. Had a couple small spots, but nothing major. Looking pretty clear in parts.

Hoping over next few days the old spots will dissapear, and should be a lot better. I am actually quite hopeful that i should be clear for new years actually. If I have had my IB then i will be happy with what i got in the past week or so.. its not been too bad.

Also my feet/legs have finally stopped aching. Really weird that. Still get the occasional ache and pain but nothing major.

One weird side effect (i think i had this the first time i went on accutane - the backs of my hands are full of little red marks. My red hand is covered in them, my left isnt as bad.

Red Marks on my right hand

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/21/2007 8:19 pm

DAY FIFTEEN

Relatively the same today. No new spots (well maybe under my chin) and still clearing. However had another side effect today - nose bleeds. Had one this morning when washing and one just now when i had a wash for bed. Nice.

Lips so sore, they keep bleeding too cos i keep eating bits of dry skin of them.. yuk.

Havent been eating the best recently (alot of junk food!) but has not appeared to have done any damage.

I got the same little spots on both of my hands my body has always been very very symetrical i always get acne in pairs on my face or body its so damn wierd. i've been on accutane for 5 weeks and barely got the rash a few days ago but it went away after 3 days or so. My face personally cleared up all around my cheeks but my jaw and forehead are worse than before.
MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/22/2007 9:18 pm

DAY SIXTEEN

Nothing much to report. Got a few new spots, although in general pretty good. Still having nosebleeds and my lips are so dry all the time. They keep bleeding, so i constantly have sore skin! (and yes i do use lypsyl).

Been eating pretty bad recently, should behave myself.. but again it doesnt seem to be having an effect on my skin which is good. Still getting the occasional aches and pains and a few headaches here and there.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/24/2007 1:15 pm

DAY SEVENTEEN - DAY EIGHTEEN

Yesterday wasnt too bad but i started to get some nasty spots appear on my otherwise flawless-ish left cheek. I also got a huge spot under my left nostel on the lip which was huge.

Today however, i woke up and my face has exploded. My left cheek has a good 6 spots (nasty red loooking ones) and the right cheek has a few too. Great xmas present eh!!! really feel crappy as I thought things were getting better.

Oh well. I guess its better it happened now as I doubt ill be seeing many people for a few days.

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/25/2007 1:11 pm

DAY NINTEEN

Merry xmas all

Anyway wasnt gonna update today but i took some time out on my pc so what the hell.

Anyway woke up this morning. HOLY CRAP! My face has erupted like nothing before

Left side has completly broken out. A good 10-15 spots. Under my chin is another 5 or so and under the left jawline i have a huge cyst which feels the size of a marble.

Right side isnt as bad, but had a cluster or a few minor spot and a small cyst or some weird spot.

I not sure if this is a delayed IB or is it down to me eating/drinking crap!! I hope it clears down a bit in the next few days...

MemberMember
(@redsquirrel)

Posted : 12/26/2007 5:35 pm

DAY TWENTY

After santas present arrived on my face yesterday, things were not so good this morning.

The cyst like thing was huge. It had a head to it, i tried popping but only a bit come out. A few spots on the left side where calming down a little. The right side isnt so bad, although still a few small ones.

Compared to the photo last week there is a huge difference. My mum even told me its the worst its been in ages! At least she is honest.

I was gonna hide away in the house but i thought sod it and went to see some friends, and im glad I did. I really should mention im on the drug just incase they are wondering why its getting bad.

After dinner today I stuck an ice cube on the cyst and a bit of tea tree oil - by the time i got home tonight the size has dropped considerably! Im hoping tommorrow it will have gone done even more.

Really hoping this was my IB..

Pics! (you can see the cyst on my left cheek, just under jawline)

Left Side

Right Side