Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oli

Teen acne sufferers read.

Ok i just thought write this message even though my skin is clearer than it has been for the past year.

Why do you all go into so much detail about these new diets or cleansers that help clear acne. If you think about it realisticly as a teenager theres little you can do without spending alot of money to make your acne barable in public. I think we must understand this is a part of our lives. Its NORMAL to get spots regardless of how many.

I think the best you can do is bare it, as you cant stop puberty.

I currently wash my face twice a day with hot water and thats doing me quite well.

Im not making a big statement here but just think about what your buying and doing to your skin and just ask yourself if its really necessary or is it just to make you feel better?

Ok i just thought write this message even though my skin is clearer than it has been for the past year.

Why do you all go into so much detail about these new diets or cleansers that help clear acne. If you think about it realisticly as a teenager theres little you can do without spending alot of money to make your acne barable in public. I think we must understand this is a part of our lives. Its NORMAL to get spots regardless of how many.

I currently wash my face twice a day with hot water and thats doing me quite well.

Im not making a big statement here but just think about what your buying and doing to your skin and just ask yourself if its really necessary or is it just to make you feel better?

I agree with most of what you said. That's why I don't spend a lot of money or more than 10 minutes a a night/day dealing with it. However it still is important because besides for the temporary aspect of acne, it can leave scars if you don't take care of your face when your younger. So the more steps you take against it, the less spots you'll have, so less scars when you're older.

But that's just me. There are other people whose acne emotionally affects them, so they have a good reason for caring so much. I'm no doctor, but I don't think they bring the emotions on themselves because they take it seriously, rather I think it's kind of "built in" them so they can't change it.

Also other teenagers are also going out and stuff like that and since those relationships are SO artificial, looks matter a lot, no matter how nice of a person you are. But that's the world these days.... :(

I think that many teens with mild acne could agree with you, but it's hard for someone with more severe acne to understand your perspective (and you theirs). You're writing from a position of mild, apparently pretty manageable acne. Just realize that there are teens (and adults!) out there whose acne is more severe than what could be considered a normal puberty-related nuisance, and if you had to deal with what they did when their acne is untreated, you might change your opinion on buying skincare treatments to become happier.

both good points there but thats why i posted in mild to moderate acne. I feel for the people whos acne could potentially scar them, but i have no knowledge of what treatments are availiable for severe acne.

I would say both but I probably will tip more to the feel better side. Yeah everyone has acne as a teenager but there is inequality here, some people have worse acne then others during their teenage years so they sort of try to create this equality by buying more products thus making them feel better for at least they are doing something about it. The media is also evil in this sense by advertising products that says to help clear acne giving the idea that clear skin is the way to go. Models in magazines are also touched up giving that clear skin conclusion in which girls should have to look pretty and I know many girls wish to look like that.

Why I feel it may be necessary, acne can sometimes affect people emotinally. High school is not a very nice place to be around especially around teenagers who have no reservations about hurting people's feelings with or without knowing it. I have been there and I can tell how frustrated I am when my friend points out every time I have a pimple. The frustration of having breakouts really did affect my self-esteem as well so that is when I feel its necessary. Of course you can argue that it could be a vanity problem.

As for treatment of severe acne, haven't you heard of accutane?

Well I'm 18, which i technically when you're classed as an adult. I see the people in my year with clear skin and the people in year 9-11 who have quite bad acne because they're hormones have just gone mental. Surely at 18 I shouldn't be battling with reguarly occouring, inflamed acne.

I also have become so accustomed to acne that I feel it's the way skin is supposed be, almsot as if spots are part of how the skin should function. It's gotten to the point where when I see someone with clear skin I wonder how on earth they don't have acne, I mean our skin produces semen and dead skin cells, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM!!?!? I also feel my skin is just always gonna be acnefied as it is very oily to touch and I'm a male and I feel that we have thicker skin and more testosterone so i'm always gonna battle it.

I mean our skin produces semen and dead skin cells, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM!!?!?

I'm assuming you meant sebum? :crazy2: :lol:

Its NORMAL to get spots regardless of how many.

:think: But lots of teenagers don't have acne, so wich one is normal? All I know

is my skin can look a heck of a lot worse than it does now, so I feel my treatment

of the condition is not in vain :D

P.S. Your avatar is :wub: :drool: :wub:

That's kind of harsh, maybe accutane doesn't work for everyone...think about it.

Eh harsh? In what way? I'm confused, isn't accutane one of the treatments for severe acne.

Normal? I've never seen kids in my high school with a face like mine..

Must have been an early developer in the way of hormones cause my face has been screwed looking like that since i was 11....

God must have a grudge against me.

post-36932-1199651128_thumb.jpg

That's probably a big part of why you can ask why other people are worried about thier skin - because yours is admittedly clearer. Think back to when your skin wasn't so clear - did you fuss, fight, and worry? Of course you did. We all do.

And even if it is to make us feel better - what's wrong with that? I like feeling better and I like knowing that other people are feeling the same as me.

Out of interest Oli how old are you? Do you make any effort to control your diet? Also by looks of avatar you work out, do you take any protein supplements or creatine. If you do.. do you find they make a difference to your acne?

I've temporarily stopped my whey protein supplement in fear of it worsening my acne. Don't know how it's going to affect my gains or acne though :(.

I don't really think there is a normal for how much acne teens have. I think it all depends on hormones for many teens (especially girls), and thats why the majority of ppl grow out of their acne by their mid-20s. My hormones are a little more messed up than most teens, so my acne is worse than a lot of the ppl I know (I'm 16).

I kind of wonder what my skin would look like had I just left it alone when I only had mild acne. I think that there's a good chance I screwed it up by using cheap products with false claims and that my face would look soo much better if I didn't use anything on it. The more products I tried, the more worse my skin got.

So I think that Oli's advice is good, especially for young teens, or a teen going through their first breakout, because it could be a one time thing and by leaving it alone, their skin will recover more quickly. If breakouts are continious and worsen with out any products, then they should research to find good products that actually work.

Just my two cents.

Well I'm 18, which i technically when you're classed as an adult. I see the people in my year with clear skin and the people in year 9-11 who have quite bad acne because they're hormones have just gone mental. Surely at 18 I shouldn't be battling with reguarly occouring, inflamed acne.

I also have become so accustomed to acne that I feel it's the way skin is supposed be, almsot as if spots are part of how the skin should function. It's gotten to the point where when I see someone with clear skin I wonder how on earth they don't have acne, I mean our skin produces semen and dead skin cells, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM!!?!? I also feel my skin is just always gonna be acnefied as it is very oily to touch and I'm a male and I feel that we have thicker skin and more testosterone so i'm always gonna battle it.

sigh. how depressing.. :[ i have these spots and they get all red at night and oily and i try to exfoliate day and night and sometimes in the middle of the day if i feel all gross and self conscious, i just use an exfoliating whipe and gently whipe away then i stare at the sheet lmao.. but ACNE BOOO.. if acne were a person, i'd kick their ass! woot. lol :\

but with what the dude, said, what a pointless thing to say? who says that?? people go on this forum obviously to find a cure or some sort of reassurance for their acne, and to have the audacity to come onto this forum and accuse them of over thinking their acne is outrageous. go somewhere else. people have issues on this forum, they feel bad about their acne and dont need someone like you saying that they should feel any differently. a person has the right to feel bad about their acne and want to do something about it, and doesnt need someone telling them that they shouldn't. its not like acne is an enjoyable thing, far far far from it; be it mild or severe.

The people who post their skin care regime are people trying to find the cure for their acne. I joined this forum in order to perhaps find a cure for my acne and it has provided me with information that no dermatologist has provided me. I've had moderate "very stubborn" acne for about 6 years and it got better AFTER I stopped going to a dermatologist. I stopped going to a derm because my only option from several derms was accutane. I had no idea before I stopped going to a derm about two years ago that the sugar in sweet foods combined with a unbalanced diet (I barely ate back then but if I did it was only healthy food) contributed to my spotty skin until I started reading forums and information about acne on the internet. Even with a healthier eating habits now, I still have spotty skin compared to my clear-faced friends who don't mind eating junk food since they have clear skin.

I really respect the people that are willing to write about their diets and daily regimes with comments about possible results.

Also, instead of saying things like "I'm not making a big statement here but just think about what your buying and doing to your skin and just ask yourself if its really necessary or is it just to make you feel better?", think about what you would do if you had the worst skin out of all your friends. You would look for a cure, maybe even desperately to look better. It doesn't come off to me at all that people who post their regimes want to feel better about what they are doing. I didn't feel better at all telling others with clear skin how much antibiotics, ointments, and chemical peels I had to do when they saw my acne medications in my room back when I was going a dermatologist. In my opinion, people here just want to share what they are doing in order to possibly help another person find a cure for their acne.

Well first of all not all teenagers have acne. I'm shocked to see how many kids in my high school don't have acne. Which makes me and others who have it feel even more alienated.

Although I do agree that sometimes not worrying about your face or just washing with water is the best way to go, it's so hard when you go through it day after day, regimen after regimen, and nothing gets better, nothing improves, nothing changes. It's so discouraging and you feel alone. That's why this site is so fcking awesome. Makes you realize you're not alone in the world, although you might feel that way even around your best friends.

Basically...I agree with everything Emerald said.

I can't really agree to everything said here to be completely honest. Acne isn't brought on solely by being a teenager, i mean for me it is definitely heriditary if not caused by stress. Also this doesn't really cater for people who have acne after their teens, which is more common than you may think, or why even adults get acne.

I fail to see what is so bad about wanting to treat acne if it is something that bothers you. Yes, I spend money on products to keep my skin clean, but that is just part of a hygenic routine that works for me, and without those products my skin would be extremely painful. That side of acne is nothing about looks; when I can't sleep at night because I cannot get into any position that isn't pressing against inflamed skin, the last thing I am thinking about when I use my BP or get my repeat prescription from the doctors is my physical appearance.

But even being worried about physical appearance is nothing to be ashamed of, and its a very feesible reason to want to cure acne. Why do you work out? Is it essential for your survival or just something you do to make you look good?

Should we stop buying the latest fashions just because we only do it to make ourselves look good?

The simple answer is no. We are all entitled to look whichever way we wish to look, and if we want to spend money on acheiving that, then as long as it makes us feel better then there's nothing wrong with that at all. Being conscious about our appearance is a totally natural part of life, especially in our teenage years, which is probably why you have identified a large amount of teenagers unhappy about their skin. During puberty we become more subconscious about ourselves, and this is why acne has so many emotional and psychological strings attached to it.

I agree partly on your statement that getting spots is normal, and I agree in the sense that getting spots should not change your everyday lifestyle (such as avoiding people), or force you to change your personality and characteristics because of your anxiety over your skin, however cosmetic research, science and dermatology has discovered so much about curing acne, and there are so many drugs and treatments on offer it seems to silly to sit and suffer in silence when there are so many products that can effectively treat acne once and for all. If you were having trouble with your back, you wouldn't wait the pain out, you would immediately see a doctor - I believe the same should be done when you are having trouble with your skin.

I just think saying we should try nothing totally contradicts the hard work so many inspirational people put into this community to help the wider world combat acne. If people weren't that bothered and were willing to wait acne out, why are there so many posts here every single day of people begging for support and help? I'm sorry, but I just can't seem to see your viewpoint when the evidence is clearly all over this forum.

this forum is so helpful to young acne sufferers here...I would have killed to have this source of information earlier in my life...i learned through my own mistakes...some youngin's here are fortunate to learn from others if they research correctly...