Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smckay2

Accutane in the WINTER?!

I'm considering going on Accutane soon, and have been thinking of the pros and cons.

If I start taking Accutane now, I will be taking it in the dead of winter, and being that dryness of the skin and lips is pretty much an inevitable side effect, I'm really worried that my skin is going to be extra dry.

Who has taken accutane during winter? Is it horrible? I live in Chicago and the winters are pretty brutal, so I don't know whether or not this is a good idea.

Honestly though, I'm at the point where I can deal, because I'm just so desperate for clear skin.

I'm on Accutane right now and where I live, winter isn't a fun season either.

Look at it this way....in the winter your skin is going to dry. Accutane makes your skin dry also. Seems like a good time to go on Accutane, you're skins going to be dry anyways. And your skin should be clearer leading into summer.

Summer is fun and you don't want Accutane to slow you down then! My vote will always be for winter. I live in Central IL, by the way. There are products for the dryness, but I'm not sure what can be done about the things Accutane does to your body (muscular & joint aches and pains, etc). Of course, if you're more of a winter sports person, then that should factor into your decision, too.

Aquaphor easily takes care of the dry lips. Dry skin (body) for me was made better by using a dab of olive oil with each pump of lotion right after a shower. Really helps seal in the moisture, and I still do that to date. Dry skin (face), use a gentle cleanser, apply lotion to your nose & eye lids as those do feel uncomfortable when dry-- well, not so much the nose, but I did look weird after the first couple weeks with a peeling nose :D There are lots of recommendations for effective face lotions. Unfortunately, the ones I use are either discontinued (Eucerin Skin Renewal + SPF 15), or expensive & only available online (Dr. Perricone's Face finishing moisturizer). Sunscreen is not as critical in the winter but should still be worn to protect your skin while it is healing. I use Coppertone's oil free sun screen, because it doesn't cause me to break out.

Other than that, I drank plenty of water, and took fish oil (which really should aid absorption of 'tane because it is fat soluble), and Vit E (night time only, I think they mentioned something on the handout I was given during my first visit).

Good luck on Accutane!! :D

the dry winter months will be hell for your dry skin. but it's better to get it over with now then to take it in the summer and not be able to go out and enjoy the sun!

Ya that makes sense. I would like to have it over with for spring break, or at the very least summer. And people won't second guess my dry skin; they'll just assume it's because of the cold. Thanks! Now I have to actually get the accutane. Wish me luck!

I would imagine winter would be the BEST time to go on Accutane. Do you really want to be on medication that pretty much encourages you to stay indoors all the time in the heat of summer?

It's going to dry you out either way. At least in winter you don't have to worry so much about getting burned to a crisp.

Winter. Because in the summer if you get dry flaky skin you'll need to moisturize but 10 minutes later because of the heat, your face is going to be oily as shit. So winter gets my vote.

im not so sure about winter... i would hav to deal with crazy IB and all these stuff when im goin to school

rite now im b!tc#ing about a one big pimple i hav rite now... what if i hav to deal with like 20 on my face during school days??

I definetely prefer it in the winter. My face doesn't feel so oily then. Also, i'm starting my 4th month and I still have some massive cysts on my chest, so I'm glad it's not summer so I don't have to go swimming with my friends..

Today is Day 100 of Accutane for me ... so I started it toward the end of summer and will be finishing up in February. For me, I think winter will be better because in the very beginning of my treatment I was so sensitive to the sun (even wearing a 55 spf every day). I am still diligent about SPF every day, but the sun really isn't an issue now. We have had very cold weather here for the last several weeks and so far (knock on wood) I am managing the dryness. My lips are really the only problem for me and if I stay on top of that they are okay.

Accutane has been an absolute miracle for me. I was one of the lucky ones that cleared up within the first month of treatment. At 38, I only wish that I had tried it sooner. I told my dermatologist at my last visit that she was my new best friend! :angel: