Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is the beginning of my scar journal. I have had some success with DAILY use of retinoids/AHA/BHA to control acne and they have a slow effect on scarring. For acne I take B-Complex and Zinc, Omega 3 6 & 9, Vitamin C, and Biotin EVERYDAY. I have seen a slight improvement doing HIGH strength retinoid peels on ice pick scarring.

6/5/08-Subcision on two rolling scars

HELPFUL LINKS

Dermarolling

http://www.mesotherapyworldwide.com/images...%20Protocol.pdf

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:O1VgV...lient=firefox-a

http://www.medcareindia.com/images/6.JPG

http://www.transitionspmc.com/needling.htm

Acne.org Threads

Apeel and Needling:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Apeel-Nee...NG-t168153.html

TCA peels videos:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:8vreC...lient=firefox-a

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/tca-facial-peel/969799490

Hey,

This is my journal to keep track of my progress. I went to a dermasurgeon today. So before I was sent back I read a binder full of thank you notes from patients. I talked to the nurse who was a doll! She said my scarring was very minimal and it was not that bad. She then discussed treatments with me and was very honest. I'm interested in Smoothbeam lasers and she said they don't always work. I asked about the C02 laser, which is an ablative laser. She showed me photos of their patients who are older people and have very deep wrinkles and explained it wasn't for young skin and involves a lot of down time! After that I saw the doctor and she recommended Retin-A, Jessner's peels, and 6-12 smoothbeam treatments. She said I might be happy with the results of the peels and Retin-A and might decide I don't want the smoothbeam. I've been to plenty of doctors before and this was the one I like best because the staff was honest. She prescribed me Retin-A. I made an appt. to have a Jessner peel done. Hopefully, this works. When I left I got depressed thinking about how my skin may never look perfect. My goal is a 50% improvement in 4 months.

I've been on Retin-A for a few weeks now. This stuff is awesome. I'm going to stay on this for a longgggg time! Next week I'm having a Jessner's peel and I can't wait.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my dermasurgeon's PA said she didn't know if the effects of Smoothbeam are permanent or not. If anyone has had smoothbeam in the past do you think the effects were permanent?

I just wanted u to know I am reading ur journal, and am eagerly awaiting ur results :) I am working on scars myself but cannot afford a Derm at this time.

Also, love the avatar - as a boston owner myself..... I must say they are the best breed ever!!

I just wanted u to know I am reading ur journal, and am eagerly awaiting ur results :) I am working on scars myself but cannot afford a Derm at this time.

Also, love the avatar - as a boston owner myself..... I must say they are the best breed ever!!

A lot of people say Retin-A works for their scarring I haven't been on it that long so I'm not sure myself. That's my sisters Boston, she is the cutest. I love Bostons and Pugs.

Last night I got a Jessner's Peel done. It unclogs pores and has no effect on scarring. It didn't burn too bad. I got a nice flaking reaction to the peel which means it penetrated well. I'm going back in a month to have another done. After that I'm having the laser done. I've been reading a medical book on skin resurfacing lately so I can educate myself. It has a lot of before and after photos of patients and is more realistic than the photoshopped before and after photos.

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me which Retin-A you're using? I'd like to start a retin-A regimen but am clueless as to which brands are good. Do you think this really is helping? Thanks!

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me which Retin-A you're using? I'd like to start a retin-A regimen but am clueless as to which brands are good. Do you think this really is helping? Thanks!

It has helped me a lot at least 50-75% with acne. Even after acne my acne is gone I'm going to continue to use it because it helps with scars and under-eye shadows. I'm using Renova .025% cream. The cream is the least irritating according to my medical book.

Today I woke up and my skin was peeling off. My pores look smaller and there is a definite reduction in blackheads. My first derm told me I had enlarged pores and this one says I have ice pick scars. My scars look better though so I'm not sure what they are.

I woke up today and my skin is still peeling but I can see that the Jessner's peel really helped me. Some parts of my skin are a little pink but this will fade in time. I'm considering dermarolling, needling, or subcision in addition to my chemical peels and laser.

hello

I'm not trying to scare or deter you in your progress I just wanna say that if your scarring is really minimal then you might wanna hold off on the laser treatments....

cuz lots of people have made their scarring worse.... ive had a few my self and most of the time they helped (but only very very little for scars and nothing for enlarged pores) and the last laser treatment i had (palomar starlux) [a fractional laser] left tiny little holes on my cheeks that look like enlarged pores.

so i dunno just be careful if your scarring isnt bad ask yourself if its worth the risk of further scarring..... and u cant really trust the doctors after all it is a business..... if u do decide to get the laser treatments make sure its done by a DOCTOR and not some guy from a spa with a certification.

and yea your scars and pores will look better after peels becuase it makes ur skin stretchy but unfortunately it is only temporary.

check out the acv thread started by bruin him and some others have seen some fantastic results in their scarring and enlarged pores and i too am going to try it soon and it doesnt cost $1000's of dollars and they say it has worked much better than the pricey treatments

$5 for the acv (apple cider vinegar) and toothpicks is much better than $1000 of dollars for little and not permanent results compared to better and permanent results from what i understand. but of course everyone is different and results will vary but bruin said many ofhis scars look like enlarged pores now and his enlarged pores have closed up from this method.

so u might wanna try this first before spending $1000's and it seems to be more beneficial than the TCA cross treatment that has worked wel for so many.

That's my sisters Boston, she is the cutest. I love Bostons and Pugs.

Awe - how cool is that -- I have a boston and my mom has a pug :) LOL

Redhotlight, RetinA is EXCELLENT for blending in scars and making your complextion fresher. My old dermatologist told me that she puts everyone over 25 on it. You might also want to try something called APeel from Perfectcomplextion.net. It's a peel being used in spas, ect, that is 10x stronger than normal RetinA...

Jan31

A lot of people say Retin-A works for their scarring I haven't been on it that long so I'm not sure myself. That's my sisters Boston, she is the cutest. I love Bostons and Pugs.

Redhotlight, RetinA is EXCELLENT for blending in scars and making your complextion fresher. My old dermatologist told me that she puts everyone over 25 on it. You might also want to try something called APeel from Perfectcomplextion.net. It's a peel being used in spas, ect, that is 10x stronger than normal RetinA...

Jan31

I heard a lot of good things about Julie. I just order Apeel! Hopefully, I get it soon, I can't wait. Oh and I ordered the TCA cleanser too. My dermasurgeon is way overbooked until March so this will help me keep my skin decent until then.

That's my sisters Boston, she is the cutest. I love Bostons and Pugs.

Awe - how cool is that -- I have a boston and my mom has a pug :) LOL

We have a pug X, I have to post a pic of her, she's soo cute. She half Pug and half American Eskimo. We got her from the shelter.

hello

I'm not trying to scare or deter you in your progress I just wanna say that if your scarring is really minimal then you might wanna hold off on the laser treatments....

cuz lots of people have made their scarring worse.... ive had a few my self and most of the time they helped (but only very very little for scars and nothing for enlarged pores) and the last laser treatment i had (palomar starlux) [a fractional laser] left tiny little holes on my cheeks that look like enlarged pores.

so i dunno just be careful if your scarring isnt bad ask yourself if its worth the risk of further scarring..... and u cant really trust the doctors after all it is a business..... if u do decide to get the laser treatments make sure its done by a DOCTOR and not some guy from a spa with a certification.

and yea your scars and pores will look better after peels becuase it makes ur skin stretchy but unfortunately it is only temporary.

check out the acv thread started by bruin him and some others have seen some fantastic results in their scarring and enlarged pores and i too am going to try it soon and it doesnt cost $1000's of dollars and they say it has worked much better than the pricey treatments

$5 for the acv (apple cider vinegar) and toothpicks is much better than $1000 of dollars for little and not permanent results compared to better and permanent results from what i understand. but of course everyone is different and results will vary but bruin said many ofhis scars look like enlarged pores now and his enlarged pores have closed up from this method.

so u might wanna try this first before spending $1000's and it seems to be more beneficial than the TCA cross treatment that has worked wel for so many.

You have a point, doctors can be scums and money may be more important to them than patients. I'm comfortable with the doc I'm going to now because she seemed very honest. She didn't pressure me into getting the laser, she said I may be happy after I have a few peels and the laser doesn't allows work. I wish I could find someone in this area who performs needling, I have heard a lot of good results from that. I had a curiousity, if you don't mind, what type of scarring do you have?

I use Julies TCA Latte and LUV IT! I cannot seem to get it to peel me much, as i have very oily skin. But it seems to work phenomenally in even out my oiliness AND it seems to clear up my acne in a day or two - Normally acne would take weeks to heal! I bought it in the combo with the TCA Complex, which i used in the past, and LOVED! I haven't got around to doing the Complex cuz i am having such phenomenal acne luck with the latte!!

Julie is a great vendor tho - I have ordered from her since 2004 and never had an issue.

Ok here's my dilemma, my doc said to go with 2-3 Jessner's peels and then try smoothbeam if that doesn't work. I want to have chemical peels every 4-6 weeks. I had one last Thursday however she is booked until March. I scheduled an appt Feb 28th but Idk what to do until then. She only does cosmetic surgery on Thursdays from 1-5 so she books up fast. I called and asked them about subcision but they said the area I have is minor so it wouldn't be a candidate. I have ice pick scars but I have a LOT of them everywhere so subcision wouldn't be able to treat them. I might buy the 1.5mm dermaroller on ebay because I have a scar that's not from acne and I want to see what it does. I also have two rolling scars I want to treat. I also can't find anyone who does needling in my area. Can I use the Apeel at all in between the seven weeks between chemical peels?

I use Julies TCA Latte and LUV IT! I cannot seem to get it to peel me much, as i have very oily skin. But it seems to work phenomenally in even out my oiliness AND it seems to clear up my acne in a day or two - Normally acne would take weeks to heal! I bought it in the combo with the TCA Complex, which i used in the past, and LOVED! I haven't got around to doing the Complex cuz i am having such phenomenal acne luck with the latte!!

Julie is a great vendor tho - I have ordered from her since 2004 and never had an issue.

I was afraid to try TCA but hearing that encourages me.

I was afraid to try TCA but hearing that encourages me.

Julie's is really the only ones I trust - It's a low 12.5% with buffering agents. I think it is the only one with those added. And they are mild - I used to do them as often as every 3-4wks and yielded great results!! I went from some pretty bumpy rolling/box cars....to very superficial type scars that can be mostly covered in mineral makeup!! It's a great product - You don't frost or burn like some nasty pics I've seen.... It is very gentle for a TCA - but effective if you use it regularly! Most ppl at my ofc never even knew i was peeling unless i pointed it out!!

I talked about it some here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2146263

I must be imaging things-

I have this scar from when I was a child that is 20+ years old and it looks like it's improving, it's still there but it looks less noticeable. I wonder if it was the Retin-A. Other than that, my skin looks better than it has in a longggg time.

My skin after Retin-A and Jessner's

GORGEOUS skinwhat is jessners?

Awww, thank you. It's a peel that's supposed to help with acne but not scarring. It has salicylic acid in it which helps with blackheads too. Unlike the description below my skin didn't flake for seven days, it only flaked for three days. It might be because of the Retin-A.

Here's more info:

Jessner's Peel: This is a medium depth peel designed for more extensive damage than AHA's can improve. It is made from salicylic acid (a beta hydroxy acid), lactic acid (an alpha hydroxy acid) and resorcinol. Your surgeon or skin technician will apply a glycolic cleanser over your face to fully remove the oils and horny layer so that your Jessner's solution will penetrate properly. Then he or she will apply the Jessner's solution to your face, it will then burn slightly (although this uncomfortable sensation can be relieved by a fan blowing cool air on your treatment area). you may have several layers applied depending. You may develop a whitened look, known as "frosting" that will dissipate within a few hours. Then your skin technician will neutralize the acid and remove your solution with cool water. Your technician may apply a calming mask and you will be sent home. You will peel and flake for about 7 days and turn pink or brown afterwards. After you heal nice, smooth skin will be revealed.