Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marcg

peppermint oil reduces sebum

this shit def work like magic. i have used for 2 days and has completely cleared me up. nothing has ever worked for me except tane. this is amazing. I got a 4oz bottle put in distilled water and put peppermint oil in it. not sure how much just kept adding til it felt right

ok, i just ordered some peppermint oil. gonna mix it with water and whatnot. my oily skin is badass, so if this makes a dent in it you'll know its the real deal :) will update next week or so

I didnt even read the topic just the title and I think thats inaccurate. Pepperment is actually a comedogenic ingredient.

Most health food stores sell it.

Jojoba oil closely mimics skin's own oil, and for that reason does not exacerbate acne in many people. I personally can't use it, but I've had great success with Emu oil, which scores even lower on the comedogenicity charts (a good thing).

I didnt even read the topic just the title and I think thats inaccurate. Pepperment is actually a comedogenic ingredient.

why bother posting if you're not going to actually read the thread?

Most health food stores sell it.

Jojoba oil closely mimics skin's own oil, and for that reason does not exacerbate acne in many people. I personally can't use it, but I've had great success with Emu oil, which scores even lower on the comedogenicity charts (a good thing).

What is emu oil?

oil squeezed from the fat glands of dead birds. Emu birds. Peppermint oil is not comedogenic, though can be an irritant.

The study cited in the OP stated that a licorice extract was the most potent. And I just noticed that Dan's AHA contains a licorice extract. Something to consider. Also in eucerin products.

would incorporating peppermint and jojoba oil into a moisturizer with AHA+ be something to be leery about?

would incorporating peppermint and jojoba oil into a moisturizer with AHA+ be something to be leery about?

Peppermint oil is an irritant, so probably. Licorice extract is apparently soothing, which is probably why Dan chose it.

Peppermint oil is an irritant, so probably. Licorice extract is apparently soothing, which is probably why Dan chose it.

yea I think I will just try and dillute it in with jojoba oil into my moisturizer without AHA instead....

It seems the original poster made a pretty outstanding claim. I'm not here to challenge it.

has anyone seen any more research regarding peppermint oil, the particular method discussed by the original poster. Anyone still swear by this after months of doing it? Or just a fad?

please offer well-reasoned results or ideas with some element of research (i.e. you did a test of some sort)

writing "this shit works great" or "this shit sucks" helps no one.

So everyone is applying it topically? What about eating it? Wouldn't that be even more effective? I'm reading up on it now of people taking it in capsule form and apparently it's very good for digestion.

Edited by uncle buck

So everyone is applying it topically? What about eating it? Wouldn't that be even more effective? I'm reading up on it now of people taking it in capsule form and apparently it's very good for digestion.

I tried drinking peppermint tea for a couple weeks and had no observable results. perhaps I'll try capsules - never seen capsules - but never looked either..... anyone else have anything to say regarding using it topically. something conclusive or valid preferably...

I've been using it for a few years.

I think it works wonderfully. Might be a bit harsh around the eyes, but other than that, it really helps regulate my sebum.

I also use it as a breath freshener from time to time. One drop will do more than anything you could possibly try

I've been using it for a few years.

I think it works wonderfully. Might be a bit harsh around the eyes, but other than that, it really helps regulate my sebum.

I also use it as a breath freshener from time to time. One drop will do more than anything you could possibly try

I'm curious - what is your method? - do you mix it with water? leave it on? wash it off after a certain amount of time?

What is Sebutape?

Sebutape is a test-strip made by a company in Dallas that's widely used in the medical community to measure sebum deposition on the skin. It uses a special kind of plastic film which forms dark spots when you press it against your skin and it absorbs sebum. The more sebum, the more spots. It's what I used to measure my own sebum production in that test I did a few years ago which disproved the "feedback theory".

I read that licorice is a bit stronger than peppermint -- so has anyone looked into combining the two oils for a topical solution?

It seems the original poster made a pretty outstanding claim. I'm not here to challenge it.

has anyone seen any more research regarding peppermint oil, the particular method discussed by the original poster. Anyone still swear by this after months of doing it? Or just a fad?

please offer well-reasoned results or ideas with some element of research (i.e. you did a test of some sort)

writing "this shit works great" or "this shit sucks" helps no one.

here, I found this

Cool discovery: menthol triggers cold-sensing protein

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m120...61/ai_83477553/

because you know... i knew where to look ;)

I've been using a homemade aloe gel based moisturizer with Sweet Almond Oil and a few drops of peppermint oil. I've used Aloe and SAO with decent results, so hopefully the peppermint oil will make all the difference :) So far, my skin seems smoother and less oily. We'll see how it goes.