Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marcg

peppermint oil reduces sebum

youve gotta wonder why these spices and herbs smell and taste so good to us, its your bodys own sense of intelligence telling you that you should eat them!!!!!!!

and then science comes along with some other method of gathering intelligence and knowledge, and confirms it.

there are obviously different ways of knowing!!!!

so dont be to quick to discredit things like chinese medicine and ayurvedic medicine,

the chinese(gunpowder) and the vedas(mathematics and philosophy of science) were very sophisticated, but there tends to be some sort of common belief that modern humans are some how more intelligent in every way, while we may be true in general, there still may be more to learn from ancient cultures. And how they knew what they knew, the pyramids for example are f'n crazy what did they know and how did they find that out to achieve this?

youve gotta wonder why these spices and herbs smell and taste so good to us, its your bodys own sense of intelligence telling you that you should eat them!!!!!!!

and then science comes along with some other method of gathering intelligence and knowledge, and confirms it.

there are obviously different ways of knowing!!!!

so dont be to quick to discredit things like chinese medicine and ayurvedic medicine,

the chinese(gunpowder) and the vedas(mathematics and philosophy of science) were very sophisticated, but there tends to be some sort of common belief that modern humans are some how more intelligent in every way, while we may be true in general, there still may be more to learn from ancient cultures. And how they knew what they knew, the pyramids for example are f'n crazy what did they know and how did they find that out to achieve this?

Is anyone trying this? My experience is that dilution of less than 10 to 1 water to oil is too irritating - it has caused flare ups. At the same time, this has definitely decreased the oiliness of my skin. I'm going to see what happens when I dilute 30:1 and add some tea tree oil (diluted 20:1). My sense is that it doesn't take much peppermint oil to work, but we'll see.

Just a note, several people seem to be using peppermint oil to prevent hair loss. It apparently decreases facial hair, which means it should increase hair on the head. So I guess be warned -- if you want a full beard, long term use of peppermint oil could be a problem for you.

I own and love the peppermint soap - liquid - as the bottle says though- dilute, dilute!!

Yeah- it is strong stuff, but good!

FWIW a study I read somewhere or other on peppermint said it killed P.Acnes at concentrations as low as 100:1 (in test tubes), so it should still work well below 10:1 concentrations.

I don't know what concentration any anti-oiliness effects cut off at, but in my experience anything that kills P.Acnes seems to make my skin less oily anyway.

so you guys are telling me this magic oil will drip drip down deep into the pores and down into the sebum glands and conflict with the glands and stop it from functioning so rapidly, posssibly slowing it down more and more after usage to eventually make it function slowly and norma?l

so you guys are telling me this magic oil will drip drip down deep into the pores and down into the sebum glands and conflict with the glands and stop it from functioning so rapidly, posssibly slowing it down more and more after usage to eventually make it function slowly and norma?l

I don't think there is a known mechanism of action, to the extent to which this works.

I've only used it once at 1:15 dilution, which was rather stingy (broken skin doesn't help). I will attempt an experiment similar with the oxy one; Bryan said he would do sebutape with it. I don't have sebutape so I can't coordinate with him for baseline, but if you guys have access to sebutape and a knack for discipline you should coordinate with Bryan.

I think we as a community (of sorts) can muster the discipline to enroll in a decent experiment (N>=10), while following a strict assessment protocol. It won't qualify as a medical study, but just controlling for baseline would give it some credibility.

Come on, this stuff (the oil) is cheap and can be easily found - if you have access to sebutape and you're good at following instructions enroll for the greater good of us all.

i guess i'll have a go at it.. i tried using a soap that had peppermint oil in it for awhile, didnt see any effect but i didnt use it long.

i do tea tree/peppermint baths....they are oh so tingly and nice. after i draw a full hot bath i put in about 10 drops of tea tree oil and 10 of peppermint. i like it strong, obviously you could make it weaker as desired. it does AMAZING things for your body, complexion, and hair!

let me just start this post off by saying i have -extremely- oily skin and congested pores... i usually blot once every hour... mostly non inflammatory acne, very slight inflammatory acne

The polyol-soluble licorice extract used in this test is commercially called Licochalcon... its the main ingredient in eucerin's redness relief. I went out and picked up a bottle of eucerin redness relief (moisture lotion, not the green tinted perfecting lotion) and have been using it for about 3-4 days... im still blotting fairly regularly, so its hard to tell... but i believe there has been a slight reduction in oil production. it says '4 weeks' on the bottle, so im going to give it 4 weeks. HOWEVER, this moisturizer has not made me more oily and has not clogged my pores, and its the first (out of SO many) to do that which in and of itself is a miracle as moisturizers usually increase my oil production by 10 fold.. so i'm going to stick with it regardless.

i also picked up a bar of dr bronners peppermint bar soap to use on my body... and to my surprise.. in 2 days its smoothed out my back significantly. im going to start using it on my face at night and see how that goes.

i will report back every few days to this thread and let everyone know how its working.

my current regimen looks like this

morning:

cerave cleanser

eucerin redness relief

pm:

nivea (men) sensitive skin cleanser (soon to be replaced by dr bronners peppermint bar)

eucerin redness relief

tazorac .5% cream (every 3rd day)

HOWEVER, this moisturizer has not made me more oily and has not clogged my pores, and its the first (out of SO many) to do that which in and of itself is a miracle as moisturizers usually increase my oil production by 10 fold..

Are you sure you're not confusing the oiliness of the moisturizers themselves with your own "oil production"? The reason I ask is because almost every other person on this forum (I'm one of the few exceptions) believes that a moisturizer DECREASES, rather than INCREASES a person's oil production.

let me just start this post off by saying i have -extremely- oily skin and congested pores... i usually blot once every hour... mostly non inflammatory acne, very slight inflammatory acne

The polyol-soluble licorice extract used in this test is commercially called Licochalcon... its the main ingredient in eucerin's redness relief. I went out and picked up a bottle of eucerin redness relief (moisture lotion, not the green tinted perfecting lotion) and have been using it for about 3-4 days... im still blotting fairly regularly, so its hard to tell... but i believe there has been a slight reduction in oil production. it says '4 weeks' on the bottle, so im going to give it 4 weeks. HOWEVER, this moisturizer has not made me more oily and has not clogged my pores, and its the first (out of SO many) to do that which in and of itself is a miracle as moisturizers usually increase my oil production by 10 fold.. so i'm going to stick with it regardless.

i also picked up a bar of dr bronners peppermint bar soap to use on my body... and to my surprise.. in 2 days its smoothed out my back significantly. im going to start using it on my face at night and see how that goes.

i will report back every few days to this thread and let everyone know how its working.

my current regimen looks like this

morning:

cerave cleanser

eucerin redness relief

pm:

nivea (men) sensitive skin cleanser (soon to be replaced by dr bronners peppermint bar)

eucerin redness relief

tazorac .5% cream (every 3rd day)

Careful with that soap .... I seem to recall that the pH is quite high. If you like it and want to stick with it, I recommend using an acidic toner immediately afterward to restore healthy skin pH.

Are you sure you're not confusing the oiliness of the moisturizers themselves with your own "oil production"? The reason I ask is because almost every other person on this forum (I'm one of the few exceptions) believes that a moisturizer DECREASES, rather than INCREASES a person's oil production.

i have weird skin. its oily but very sensitive... moisturizer definitely increases my oil production significantly for about 12 hours. bha/aha also significantly increase my oil production... as does tazorac (which is why i only use it every 3rd day)

Careful with that soap .... I seem to recall that the pH is quite high. If you like it and want to stick with it, I recommend using an acidic toner immediately afterward to restore healthy skin pH.

i'll email them and ask. what determent is there to using a high PH soap? it has cleared my back by about 80% in less than a week.. its pretty amazing.

Healthy skin pH is around 5.5 - 6.0 .... mildly acidic. This deters the growth of bacteria, which don't care for an acidic environment.

The acid mantle becomes damaged by the regular use of alkaline soaps over time, and you lose this natural protection against bacteria because your skin surface pH becomes alkaline as well.

You can counteract the effect by using an acidic toner immediately after cleansing. (Lots of people here use a 50% solution of apple cider vinegar and water.) Personally I prefer to stick with pH-neutral or slightly acidic cleansers -- but if you really love the Dr. Bronner soap, then be sure to use a toner with it.

Healthy skin pH is around 5.5 - 6.0 .... mildly acidic. This deters the growth of bacteria, which don't care for an acidic environment.

The acid mantle becomes damaged by the regular use of alkaline soaps over time, and you lose this natural protection against bacteria because your skin surface pH becomes alkaline as well.

You can counteract the effect by using an acidic toner immediately after cleansing. (Lots of people here use a 50% solution of apple cider vinegar and water.) Personally I prefer to stick with pH-neutral or slightly acidic cleansers -- but if you really love the Dr. Bronner soap, then be sure to use a toner with it.

they said it was 8.9... what is ideal?

i used it twice on my face yesterday, and today its broken out into quite a few inflammatory spots which is odd. wont be using it on my face anymore.

hey everyone!

i'm trying peppermint oil (mentha piperita) mixed with purified water (1:20) since a week now and it decreases my sebum excretion in a quite impressive way. Thanks to marcg for the idea (i also read the post of the guy on the hair loss message board who talk about that).

My skin is just a little bit irritate, hope that wont make me break out , all it's ok so far.

(sorry for my spelling mistake i'm french ^^)

Ok, I have been using the pure peppermint oil mixed 1 to 15 ( 1 part peppermint oil to 15 parts water) twice a day for a total of approx. 15 hours a day for about 1 week now. I can say that it has helped reduce my oil output. I can't say that about too many things I have tried over the years. Aside from being first applied, there isn't any redness of irritation I have received from using it.

I have tough skin and at 1 to 15 it took some getting use to. The stuff is very strong but you get use to it. I have no idea if the effects get better with time and longer usage but I will continue using it as long as I can.

I will be starting scar reduction therapy soon with a dermaroller and I'm not sure if I can fit the peppermint oil into my routine but we'll see.

For all those thinking about trying it, for less than $6 peppermint oil gets two thumbs up.

Thanks again for starting this thread.

Sounds interesting, I might try this peppermint idea (especially with it being Christmas time and all- the perfect time to smell pepperminty!).

any updates on Sebutape tests? Bryan? Anyone?

any updates on Sebutape tests? Bryan? Anyone?

I definitely plan on doing that, but it'll take a while. Give me a month or so...