Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marcg

peppermint oil reduces sebum

Activity of herbal extracts on the control of sebum secretion.Accession number;04A0230063

Title;Activity of herbal extracts on the control of sebum secretion.

Author;UCHIUMI YOICHIRO(Maruzen Pharm. Co., Ltd., JPN) YAMAMOTO SUSUMU(Maruzen Pharm. Co., Ltd., JPN) MIZUTANI KENJI(Maruzen Pharm. Co., Ltd., JPN)

Journal Title;Fragr J

Journal Code:G0987B

ISSN:0288-9803

VOL.32;NO.3;PAGE.53-57(2004)

Figure&Table&Reference;TBL.4, REF.13

Pub. Country;Japan

Language;Japanese

Abstract;Potential activity of herbal extracts onapl sebum secretion was studied. Among the herbal extracts tested, polyol-soluble licorice extract P-U (product name) derived from Glycyrrhiza inflata showed the most potent testosterone 5 .ALPHA.-reductase inhibition, androgen receptor binding inhibition and antimicrobial activities, which are closely related to sebum secretion. In addition to the findings on polyol-soluble licorice extract P-U, clove extract and peppermint extract showed testosterone 5 .ALPHA.-reductase inhibition, arnica extract and rose fruit extract showed androgen receptor binding inhibition, alpinia speciosa root extract and scutellaria root extract showed estrogen receptor agonists, and sophora root extract showed antimicrobial activity. (author abst.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to experiment with peppermint oil, since it is really easy to acquire at any place that sells aromatherapy oils. I was afraid of systemic absorption with licorice (which looks more promising in some respects) which can do all sorts of nasty things.

Well to put it succinctly, I diluted peppermint essential oil with distilled water 1:5, shake just prior to application (as invariably they will separate somewhat) and rub a few drops into my skin after showering. This is done twice daily. It has been a week now, and there is a marked decrease in sebum secretion. only the slightest trace of oil can be seen after 12 hours or so. I have a few acne lesions which have "dried up" and appear to be going away. I also have not had any new lesions form. I didn't have a lot of acne to begin with, but oily skin that would result in at least a few pimples, that seems to be largely taken care of now.

The smell is a bit strong, and your eyes might start watering upon application. Also the addition of extra water to the skin after application will make your skin tingle to the point where it's painful. I'm not sure if a weaker solution will have the same effect.

So if your willing to shed a few tears and come away smelling like a breath mint, this could be a solution to oily skin.

Take care.

I decided to experiment with peppermint oil, since it is really easy to acquire at any place that sells aromatherapy oils.

Well to put it succinctly, I diluted peppermint essential oil with distilled water 1:5, shake just prior to application (as invariably they will separate somewhat) and rub a few drops into my skin after showering. This is done twice daily. It has been a week now, and there is a marked decrease in sebum secretion. only the slightest trace of oil can be seen after 12 hours or so.

I've been adding peppermint and clove oils to my toners for years - they work very well, and feel wonderful. I do use them at a much lower ratio though - peppermint probably more like 1:15; clove 1:20 or 25

a 1/2 ounce is usually about $5 for peppermint, maybe $7-10 for clove

Most health food stores sell it.

Jojoba oil closely mimics skin's own oil, and for that reason does not exacerbate acne in many people. I personally can't use it, but I've had great success with Emu oil, which scores even lower on the comedogenicity charts (a good thing).

This seems interesting, because I got really oily skin. Does Peppermint oil have moisturizing qualities to it? How can someone on the DKR incorporate this in the regimen.

I've been adding peppermint and clove oils to my toners for years - they work very well, and feel wonderful. I do use them at a much lower ratio though - peppermint probably more like 1:15; clove 1:20 or 25

a 1/2 ounce is usually about $5 for peppermint, maybe $7-10 for clove

:D I love the smell! Especially in the morning when I'm groggy. To a 4 oz bottle I add 10 drops, then increase by 2's if it wasn't enough.

You can, but it doesn't dissolve. You'll have to 'emulsify' the the mixture at every use - shake it like till it looks milky/bubbly - then apply with cotton rounds/balls. It disperses well in Propylene Glycols, Polysorbates, and alcohols - I find alcohol too drying personally.

Does the oil absorb quickly into your skin? Also, do I have to dilute it with water or another substance? Can't I just apply it directly to my skin? I'm thinking I can use this oil after I apply the BP, then moisturize. In the mornings I moisturize with Aloe vera and jojoba oil. Can jojoba oil and peppermint oil be used together? Like applying the peppermint oil before the application of jojoba oil and aloe vera gel.

Peppermint oil kills P.Acnes BTW in quite low percentage mixes; and it's fat soluble, so it soaks right into the pores and does the business.

But be warned, it's well known to be irritating as f***.

I sometimes use a tea tree oil and peppermint shower gel product, and it dries my bacne right out, but when I used it on my legs, my legs came out in a rash in a few days.

Does the oil absorb quickly into your skin? Also, do I have to dilute it with water or another substance? Can't I just apply it directly to my skin? I'm thinking I can use this oil after I apply the BP, then moisturize. In the mornings I moisturize with Aloe vera and jojoba oil. Can jojoba oil and peppermint oil be used together? Like applying the peppermint oil before the application of jojoba oil and aloe vera gel.

Essential oils are different from animal and vegetable oils - the viscosity is much lower, they don't 'slick' across your skin in the same manner, nor do most of them moisturize.

They don't dilute with water, you have to shake like mad then apply while the two remain emulsified, a matter of minutes.

You can make a suspension with aloe gel - Lily of the Desert is a good brand you should be able to find at the same health food store.

I would personally use it either in my toner or my moisturizer. Using it with Jojoba would be ideal. Jojoba would be the carrier oil - this is the traditional method to use EO's (essential oils) in topical skincare.

Never apply it neat (directly to skin):

Peppermint may be either cooling or warming depending on the dilution used. In low dilutions (less than 2%) it is very cooling. In HIGH dilutions, greater then 5%, it will be warming (a rubecacient), and serve as a counter-irritant in pain relief blends. Applied topically in low dilution it is an excellent headache remedy.

WARNING:Peppermint cools by constricting the capillaries and needs to be used in extremely low dilutions. It is also an irritant. One or two drops in a bath is sufficient, use a 1% dilution for massage or other skin applications.

A very small amount. Mix the jojoba and aloe equally - add about 1 drop of peppermint oil per Tablespoon.

For example:

*to a small container add*

1 and 1/2 teaspoons aloe gel

1 and 1/2 teaspoons jojoba oil (or any carrier that you prefer)

1 drop peppermint oil

Mix well, apply sparingly. Avoid eyes - fumes willirritate.

A very small amount. Mix the jojoba and aloe equally - add about 1 drop of peppermint oil per Tablespoon.

For example:

*to a small container add*

1 and 1/2 teaspoons aloe gel

1 and 1/2 teaspoons jojoba oil (or any carrier that you prefer)

1 drop peppermint oil

Mix well, apply sparingly. Avoid eyes - fumes willirritate.

I like Ayla's idea because I've read that smelling peppermint helps wake people up and invigorate them (they've done studies on it) so I sometimes eat one before I take an exam :)

If anyone does mix in peppermint oil with a product, before you use it on your face, you might want to do a small test patch behind your ear or something...like others have mentioned, it's relatively easy to add in too much and irritate your skin.

^Good call on the patch test - do that for sure!

I use NOW brand 100% peppermint oil - I've also used aura cacia and some other randoms - peppermint oil is pretty universal, though some of the more exotic oils NOW makes are crap.

I own and love the peppermint soap - liquid - as the bottle says though- dilute, dilute!!