Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorax

My Story, What I've Done, & What I'm Doing Now

*Any advice is appreciated*

Where to begin... I'm an 18 y/o male and have had moderate acne since 13, as is the norm for most, just typical. What's not typical is I've either been vegetarian or vegan for these years, vegan for last 3. No meat at all in these years, only dairy in the earlier, and removing it from my diet had no effect on my acne as it does for some. I've tried countless home remedies, *nearly all* prescription drugs, vitamin B5, benzoyl peroxide, over the counter stuff... the list goes on, though I'm sure some of you could top me. :redface:

I have below a comprehensive list of everything I've tried in the past, & what I'm now doing in hopes of clear skin. Here goes...

Prescription -- I went to a dermatologist for over a year, and in this time tried numerous oral & topical drugs, he went all out to try to clear me up as we both shared a common desire not to pursue Accutane, but finally we had run out of options and this was brought up. I declined.

Over-the-Counter Products -- Countless washes, cream, scrubs, potions, exfoliants and oils, I've honestly lost track of the many dozens of products I've tried. NONE have worked in healing active spots or the prevention of more.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) -- Bragg's brand of course, I took this internally for a few weeks, as well as applied it topically. This definitively has some healing properties, as it helped digest food and sped up the healing of red marks, alas it had no effect on my acne. I now take a little with heavier meals to aid digestion.

Jojoba, Tea Tree, Vitamin E, Camellia (Pure Organic Oils) -- Each of these has different properties that have helped my skin heal from the aftermath of a pimple. I still use Vitamin E & Jojoba for this, but none, not even the tea tree oil has helped existing acne or for prevention of future acne.

Dan's Regimen -- I went into this fully thinking it would be the answer, bought all the recommended supplies and set out, and for over 2 months I was on this. This was a horrible decision right from the start, benzoyl peroxide does nothing but harm my skin, causing endless redness, flaking, itching, peeling and burning at even the mildest concentrations. I ended these wonderful 2 months looking like a ripe tomato who had picked a fight was a pair of scissors. Acne intact.

10% Benzoyl Peroxide -- What the hell was I thinking?! If you've read this far, you know what this did for me. (See above)

Vitamin B5 - Taken for 6 months, the only real results I ever saw was while taking this. Although not perfect, It did still cleared up about 60% of my acne, the trade off to all this was I lost weight RAPIDLY to the point I was seriously underweight, I'm still trying to regain what was lost. *(Recommended if you've exhausted other options, Maybe you're body will respond better to it than mine)

AHA Souffle 12% -- I saw nothing, nada, zilch with this product, it didn't take away the dead skin cells at all. Thankfully though it didn't adversely affect my skin as many other products have.

Sexual Abstinence -- Alright, a taboo subject, just what we need. - I've chatted with a few who swear by this, they've said it's the only way they manage to stay clear, unfortunately there's little scientific evidence back this up. I have personally tried this, went a full month without anything, and although I did notice a spike in my overall energy(!), it did nothing for my acne.

Omega-3's -- Through the overconsumption of flaxseed oil, avocados and nuts, I still regularly eat these because of my usual diet and have noticed they contribute a little in the reducing the size and longevity of pimples, but it's no cure for me. (I'm very aware that fish oil is better for omegas, but I'm vegan!)

There you have it, my experiences so far, If you read all that I truly commemorate you.

With thanksgiving being over with, I've decide to embark on a more dietetic approach. As I'm nearly out of options and am beginning to think this all might be karma. :confused:

Here's another list of what I've been doing since November 25'th, & what I plan on continuing for now...

-My First Liver Flush - Successfully eliminated some gall stones, vegans can have them too!

-No Sugar

-No Grains - This one is tough

-More fruit & vegetables - This makes up the bulk of my diet already.

-Running 1 mile every day

-Steaming my face twice daily

-Shower morning & night, only using water on my face - Scrubs & Washes are too harsh/don't help me.

-Probiotic Supplement, Saw Palmetto & Evening Primrose supplements.

(Along with a multi & B complex that I've been taking for the last year)

I'll be sure to update this thread at weekly intervals should these new routines actually improve my acne. As a parting note I'll wish you all good luck in your endeavor's, and say this for the third or fourth time - Advice Is Appreciated. :surprised:

I may get flamed for what I'm about to suggest to you but here goes:

See an alternative health professional.

I'm going to tell you so far what my experience has been like;

1st Naturopath: Homeopathic practitioner; gave me these little sugar pills with a tiny bit of what was supposed to cure me diluted in them (I believed in it at the time, gave it a shot, didn't do a thing); I looked into it and the homeopathic medicines are sometimes so dilute they don't even have a molecule of the actual "remedy" in them.

2nd Naturopath: More holistic; she focussed more on diet and stress and gave me supplements and diet recommendations. Saw her a few times and she would modify a little bit of my regimen here and there, but overall no real dramatic change.

Currently seeing: Chiropractor who practices functional medicine; Man o man.. she has such a refreshing view on healthcare and believes what I'm being taught now in university, in health sciences, that the current medical model we have in place isn't sufficient and does not effectively treat the majority of chronic conditions (acne being one of them for some). If you haven't looked into functional medicine; do it :surprised: , it focusses on the body as a whole and how your organs are interacting with one another, it also has a suprising amount of scientific data to back it up. I just went for my follow-up today and was presented with her findings as well as results of tests she did to back them up. I've got adrenal fatigue and thyroid insufficiency which were caused by the extremely demanding/stressful summer I had (this also correlates with a worsening of my acne so I'm crossing my fingers I kill 2 birds with one stone here). I'll be sure to update if you like on the results of the treatment but so far I can't see this failing; it's an answer to pretty much all of the symptoms I've had for a while (inability to stay asleep, difficulty falling asleep, low body temperature, frequently cold extremeties, and the list goes on).

If you go to http://www.ultrawellness.com/tools/find-a-doctor you can search for a doctor in your area who practices functional medicine. You'd be surprised to know that there are many MD's that practice this as well :whistle: .

Anyways best of luck to you, I've had acne for a while too now and it's been persistently bad in the last 7 months so hopefully this helps us both out.

1st Naturopath: Homeopathic practitioner; gave me these little sugar pills with a tiny bit of what was supposed to cure me diluted in them (I believed in it at the time, gave it a shot, didn't do a thing); I looked into it and the homeopathic medicines are sometimes so dilute they don't even have a molecule of the actual "remedy" in them.

2nd Naturopath: More holistic; she focussed more on diet and stress and gave me supplements and diet recommendations. Saw her a few times and she would modify a little bit of my regimen here and there, but overall no real dramatic change.

Currently seeing: Chiropractor who practices functional medicine; Man o man.. she has such a refreshing view on healthcare and believes what I'm being taught now in university, in health sciences, that the current medical model we have in place isn't sufficient and does not effectively treat the majority of chronic conditions (acne being one of them for some). If you haven't looked into functional medicine; do it :surprised: , it focusses on the body as a whole and how your organs are interacting with one another, it also has a suprising amount of scientific data to back it up. I just went for my follow-up today and was presented with her findings as well as results of tests she did to back them up. I've got adrenal fatigue and thyroid insufficiency which were caused by the extremely demanding/stressful summer I had (this also correlates with a worsening of my acne so I'm crossing my fingers I kill 2 birds with one stone here). I'll be sure to update if you like on the results of the treatment but so far I can't see this failing; it's an answer to pretty much all of the symptoms I've had for a while (inability to stay asleep, difficulty falling asleep, low body temperature, frequently cold extremeties, and the list goes on).

If you go to http://www.ultrawellness.com/tools/find-a-doctor you can search for a doctor in your area who practices functional medicine. You'd be surprised to know that there are many MD's that practice this as well :whistle: .

Anyways best of luck to you, I've had acne for a while too now and it's been persistently bad in the last 7 months so hopefully this helps us both out.

Hey man, welcome and thanks for your story. A lot of us went through a similar experience...god knows I tried every acne treatment known to man before I found out what worked for me.

I highly recommend you check out the link in my signature of the regimens and pictures of people who have cleared their skin using diet. You can learn a ton from these people and use their techniques to form a regimen that works for you. That's how I figured out what works for me; I copied other people's regimens to see if it worked.

One other thing is that a lot of people have a really hard time integrating a vegan or vegetarian diet with an anti-acne diet. You should expect some serious challenges if you want to avoid all animal products. So far I have never seen evidence of someone with chronic acne achieving clear skin using a vegan diet.

1st Naturopath: Homeopathic practitioner; gave me these little sugar pills with a tiny bit of what was supposed to cure me diluted in them (I believed in it at the time, gave it a shot,

didn't do a thing); I looked into it and the homeopathic medicines are sometimes so dilute they don't even have a molecule of the actual "remedy" in them.

The practitioner I'm seeing is a Chiropractor who's been trained in functional medicine/naturopathic medicine, etc. and who has a more holistic view of health; she's treating me using this training and not with any chiropractic manipulation as I don't require it.

I'm a big believer of acne being a manifestation of a deeper problem so it's just my opinion that if your diet is as impeccable as you say and you've tried all these other supplements; why not go to a professional who can assess/diagnose what's causing your acne.

I was anti-hollistic for a while, until OTC products stopped working, then I totally re-vamped my diet w/ advice from the naturopaths with very limited improvement which eventually led me to believe something was wrong internally if I was feeding my body this "premium quality food" and it wasn't performing at an optimal level.

I also had other symptoms that worsened which caused my acne to worsen (anger, stress, heavy physical labor, difficulty sleeping, staying asleep); it might be good for you to take a step back and really think about times when your acne was at its worst and think about what you were going through in your life, what you were eating, what sort of lifestyle you had, etc.

One more thing (sry for these long posts); I know Healthoid is an advocate of this and I'm becoming more of one as the time that I've eliminated wheat/gluten goes on. Even if you don't have celiac or a wheat/gluten intolerance, both of these are difficult to digest, why put your body through the process if you don't have to?

Again, best of luck, I hope you find success.

Thank you shavingwoes, I'll keep options open at this point.

I've spent the morning thoroughly reading through all the threads that Healthoid linked, and I'm going to take some of the routines I had not heard of and incorporate them into mine, for example; chewing my food more & not drinking with meals.

Also, I'd forgotten to add these to the original post on my diet;

-I don't drink anything but water and tea, and haven't for years - usually 7-14 combined glasses a day.

-I don't eat fried foods or in general junk food.

Just a quick question that might help others give advice; do you ever feel your meals don't sit well with you? ever get abdominal cramps? bloating? excessive gas?

My diet doesn't seem far off from some of those regimens though, I'm reading through one right now that's so close the only major difference I see is the intake of meats (non-red) & eggs, but not dairy, and a slight variation in supplements.

Could you tell me what it is in meat that would be beneficial to acne sufferers?

Do you include blended leafy greens in your diet? This is extremely important for clear skin!! Check out my green smoothie post - there's a link in my signature. I was vegan before adding lots of greens to my diet, and my skin didn't clear up until I included the greens.