Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

I have severe acne and that makes me verry depressed. Im 15 years old and everyone at school stares at my pimples. Even when i wear makeup...

I went to a dermatologist last week and she prescribed me accutane. I did a blood test and she called today but i wasnt home. My mom has to recall her after tomorrow. I cant wait to start using it.

I feel so sad these days. Every girl in my class has a perfect face.

I dont even go out of my house as often as i used to. Im so embarassed..

Even teachers stare at me. I have suicidal toughts sometimes. It really affects me emotionally.

I cant even do gym. I know its weird but im so unconfortable with my body that i dont like to be with a lot of people and to move a lot. The gym teacher broth me to the principals office and i had to explain why i dont want to do gym. I couldnt talk. i started crying.

When im at school, i cant even look at myself in the miror.

Do you have some advice that could make me feel better?

Julia xox

:cry:

I don't know about advice, but I do know that you're not alone. That so many of us have felt like that - like no matter what we did, there was no way we could face the world outside with the face that we wear.

Please keep sharing, we're listening.

Yes, keep sharing, whether it's on this forum or to a family member or friend, it's best to let out all your feelings and emotions, you'll feel much better after.

Hello,

I have severe acne and that makes me verry depressed. Im 15 years old and everyone at school stares at my pimples. Even when i wear makeup...

I went to a dermatologist last week and she prescribed me accutane. I did a blood test and she called today but i wasnt home. My mom has to recall her after tomorrow. I cant wait to start using it.

Even teachers stare at me. I have suicidal toughts sometimes. It really affects me emotionally.

I cant even do gym. I know its weird but im so unconfortable with my body that i dont like to be with a lot of people and to move a lot. The gym teacher broth me to the principals office and i had to explain why i dont want to do gym. I couldnt talk. i started crying.

Julia xox

ohhh...its like such a hard time in your life right now :( i totally get you....and like everyone has said pleez keep posting..its the best way to deal. and i know it seems that everyone has clear skin but also remember that everyone has their insecurity or their weakness...like my bff has great skin..i DON"T...but she is totally insecure about her weight and her self esteem is shot...thats her thing...and i got mine...so you see we all have our insecurities..its just that when it comes to acne people just do not know how to deal or approach it! only people who have had acne can really understand each other..this is y this forum rocks...please keep us posted!!

Julia, take it from an old guy like me....YOU HAVE TO LOVE YOURSELF! NO MATTER WHAT! I used to spend so much time stressing out about my appearance and not socializing, but it's not worth it. You miss out on alot when you walk around with your head down all the time. Keep your head up, and be happy & confident with who you are! In my opinion, it's the first step in beating IT!

Smile! :angel:

It saddens me to read this, and is definately something I can relate to. It's such a shame that having bad skin affects us so badly and seems to crush our confidence in everything we do. I wish there was some advice I could give you to make you feel better, but in all honesty.. I don't think anything I can say will help. Just know that you are not alone, and it will get better. Also, people don't pay as much attention to your skin as you think.. It's hard to see that, but it is true. I wish you all the best with your accutane course and hope you clear up quick. Stay strong.

Don't worry about it too much, Julia, these tough times will be over soon enough.

Accutane has worked for so many people, it'll surely work for you. And don't be discouraged if you need more than one course of it.

Also keep in mind, nothing is permanent. Acne isn't permanent. School isn't permanent. So although you might be depressed in school right now, just remember that one day you'll be out of school and out of acne. Look forward to being acne free, but for now, stick with this site, it'll help you cope better with acne and enjoy life more. :dance:

For the time being, try to do all you can for your acne: stay away from junk food, milk, too much chocolate, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Also, go for runs :) If you're stressed, exercise is a good way to relieve it. I like to go for runs in the evening, so that I come back to my room all sweaty and I can do my evening face washing right away. (Don't wash your face more than twice a day).

If evening doesn't work for you, go in the morning before you shower.

Thanks for all your replies! I really appriciate it. Im verry happy that i found this site. My friends dont undersand me that much. Its not just pimples. Its big. When you have it, its horrible. Its not easy to deal with it.

Today i went to the hairdresser and she asked me if i was doing something about my acne. Everywhere i go, people ask me questions about it. They dont realise that i dont like talking about it and that it makes me depressed. I really hope that accutane is gonna work for me.

Notsobad: No, i didnt try hormonal contraceptions before accutane. 2 years ago, i had the same problem, but creams helped me a lot.

I just tried a lot of creams and 2 sort of pills. When i stoped using everything, all this came.

*Sorry about my low english level, i express myself better in french..

Everyday, is a bad day for me. Everyone reminds me that my face looks horrible. Example, i was talking with my project partener on the phone and i asked her what should i do with my hair and she replied: You should think about your face first!

At school, all those kids and some teachers stare at me. Specially girls. I feel like the whole school is staring at me. I feel like the younger ones pass near me and laugh.

that project partner of yours is really something.... :evil: i mean how mean can you be? i have gotten comments like that before..and its like now looking i understand that maybe they were just trying to help in their own narrow minded way but daaaaamn use some tact!! i remember having a neighbor knock at my door,mind you i barely ever spoke to the woman before, to tell me about my acne and what could help...now she was actually sweet about it..but i was mortified :ninja: so yea i know where you are coming from...

This might sound kind of extreme, but have you thought about maybe some form of homeschooling, or opting to take online courses at home rather than go to school? I know a girl, a senior, who simply didn't like school. She wanted to work and take more dance classes to prepare for college...she's loving it. Maybe that might be a good thing for you. If being in school brings you down, which it REALLY sounds like it does, it is a good choice for you. The online courses are usually challenging and sometimes more in depth than what the teachers "teach" you anyway. You would have more time to yourself to practice whatever hobbies it is you have, etc. And when your skin starts clearing up and you get your confidence back, perhaps you could go back to school.

It's soooo hard to stay positive, TRUST ME I know. I've had an eating disorder. it's basically as bad as acne. like i didn't even see the point in living anymore...i couldn't live like that.

but now, I AM COMPLETELY BETTER! I'm myself again...like completely recovered. I see this in comparison to acne...you can't let it affect who you are. continually TELL YOURSELF that it WILL EVENTUALLY get better, and that having clear skin does NOT equal happiness anyway. it does not equal confidence. when i was 100 pounds i was neither confident, happy, OR healthy, but i did have clear skin. this is because i had no hormones due to no body fat.

instead of focusing on your appearance, you should build up other qualities in yourself like kindness. read a lot of books, get really smart. get really good at music. find something you love and focus on that.

OH and another thing that helps...Help others! make others happy in need! volunteer! today I volunteered at an event called fantasy flight for terminally ill kids in hospice. it sounds dumb, but i was one of the entertainers in a big tellietubby costume hugging these adorable kids and making them laugh. most of them wouldn't even make it to see another christmas. just walking around seeing them so carefree, and looking at the parents' faces, such expressions of pain, makes you feel like all your problems are so petty and you have no will or right to complain anymore. it makes you just appreciate everything x10.

all in all, think of it this way...it's better to be happy with acne than totally depressed with acne.

i totally feel your pain. and sometimes, you really just need to let yourself be depressed and wallow in your sorrow for a while before you tell yourself to chin up and feel better.

Julia,

When I was 15-16 I had severe acne. I had it for at least 4 or 5 monthes before my mom even decided that it was bad enough that we should go see someone about it.

I had giant cysts along my chin line which were extremely painful to touch, they were a purplish color. It was really kind of disgusting to look at myself in the mirror most of the time.

I never went on Accutane, but on some antibiotics, some which you eat, and another that was a topical, and it cleared me up for the most part.

Im way better than I was almost 2 years ago!

So dont despair! I wish you good luck on accutane!!

15 is such a difficult year. It was for me anyway.

Well, I think that the replies to your problem offer wise and very true advice. Things really will get better. This too shall pass.

As someone already said, you have to learn to love yourself for who you are. This probably sounds so "blah" right now, but as you grow older you will hopefully understand how much that statement means.

There is so much more to you than your skin my darling.

Embrace yourself. Make yourself the best you that you can be.

And don't ever let someone make you feel like you're below them just because you have acne. If they attempt to make you feel this way, look them in the eye and prove them wrong. I'm sure you will find this liberating.

P.S. You said the girls at your school have "perfect" skin. Don't ever feel like you are alone in this. Heck, if you get really down, email me! I'll send you some pictures that will make you thank the heavens for your skin! lol.

Thanks for all of the replies! :wub:

I love to help people. I already tought of volontering in the hospital that is near my house, but i dont think that it would make me feel better. The way my grand ma looks at my face..... I cant imagine how people in the hospital would react. It would make me more depressed. Everywhere i go, theres always someone talking to me about my acne. I dunno if i already mentioned it, but i went to the entrepot l'Oréal with my momand her friend. Everything was really cheap. There were so much womans! At the end, my mom and me went to a table to look at our products and there was a security gard that was standing near. I asked him of these products were somebodys. He said no and told me that i could take whatever i want. He asked me if i eat a lot of chocolat. I was so tired. I asked him why and he said because chocolat = acne. I was sooooo sad. I almost cried. He didnt want to be mean, but still.

But i promised myslef that when its gonna get a little better, i will go volontier to the hospital.

Im verry good at school. I like getting good grades; it makes me happy. I stoped working that hard these days because i dont feel verry well but i keep telling myslef that now that i ahve accutane, it will go away.

After tomorrow, i have an oral to do in front of the class. I dunno how i will do it... + Its a scene that you have to do. At least were gonna be 3... 10 minutes! Oh my god..

After tomorrow, i have an oral to do in front of the class. I dunno how i will do it... + Its a scene that you have to do. At least were gonna be 3... 10 minutes! Oh my god..

Hello,

Julia xox

Thanks for all of the replies! :wub:

I love to help people. I already tought of volontering in the hospital that is near my house, but i dont think that it would make me feel better. The way my grand ma looks at my face..... I cant imagine how people in the hospital would react. It would make me more depressed. Everywhere i go, theres always someone talking to me about my acne. I dunno if i already mentioned it, but i went to the entrepot l'Oréal with my momand her friend. Everything was really cheap. There were so much womans! At the end, my mom and me went to a table to look at our products and there was a security gard that was standing near. I asked him of these products were somebodys. He said no and told me that i could take whatever i want. He asked me if i eat a lot of chocolat. I was so tired. I asked him why and he said because chocolat = acne. I was sooooo sad. I almost cried. He didnt want to be mean, but still.

But i promised myslef that when its gonna get a little better, i will go volontier to the hospital.

Im verry good at school. I like getting good grades; it makes me happy. I stoped working that hard these days because i dont feel verry well but i keep telling myslef that now that i ahve accutane, it will go away.

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO REMIND ME OF MY ACNE EVERY SINGLE DAY?!!!!!!!!

I really cant take it anymore!!!!!!!! i would do anything to make it go away. At least half of it! To insult me, everyone uses my acne! everyone talks about it. It makes me so sad. A guy in my class really hates me for no reason and is insulting me about my acne. What did i ever do to him? I never talk in class, i try to make myslef invisible. People are so cruel.

Remember i told you that i had an oral to do this week? It went good. I was with 2 girls. One of the girl, as i already told you, told me that i should think about my skin first, before my hair.

The other: She has no friends since her best friend is in a fight with her. I saw her at the library the other day and i felt really bad for her because i know what it is having no friend. I told her that if she ever feels lonely she can always come talk to me or call me. She was really nice too. We talked a bit and all. YOU KNOW WHAT I HEARD TODAY FROM ANOTHER PERSON?! She told him that i was a stupid bitch.

I really dont feel like going to school tomorow. At least its just for 2 hours...

PLEASE GOD MAKE MY ACNE DESAPEAR! I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

I know it has been said before, but while acne may and will get you down, people dont have too.

(most) people are bad and you have to strengthen yourself to deal with the delinquents. The best way to deal with it is too stand up for yourself and insult them back.

Insulting someone is like an art, it takes skill to do it correctly, never say *you f****** blah blah* because nobody cares about that, the best way is to use wit. Find something they dont like or hate about themselves by analysing them. Examples are if their nose is (ever so slightly) big or are their eyes are sunken in, stupid shit like that may not leave a visible hit but the person will likely think about it afterwards and possibly leave you alone to avoid being embarrased or degraded again.

Obviously, for that too work you need social status and a high amount of confidence. If you cannot do this, the tale of going to the teacher for help is a myth, the only solution is to toughen up and disregard anything that person says.

Also dont trust anyone, ever, hold a constant mental state of 100% distrust to the rest of the human race and you will be fine and can never be betrayed.

It just makes me so mad that we have advanced so much in technology but this is swept under a rug. Its one thing to try and be accepting of your reflection buts its another to have to put up with the rude remarks of the naive population. I know this may not change anything but I asked Oprah to help us. I don't know if anyone watches the show but she does many similar topics. I'd say alleviating depression and educating the world is right up her alley. Hell, Ill even take advice from Dr. Oz!!! No one laugh, she has to get topics from somewhere!

:)

The good thing is you're starting accutane early enough that it will clear up your acne so that you will not get any bad scaring. My acne started when I was 13 and I didn't get to go on accutane till I was 17 and because of that I unfortunately have some scars on my temple and nose. Just remember that your acne is temporary and with proper treatment it will improve. There are brighter days ahead :surprised:

I also commend that you are taking the time to share your feelings. The best thing you can do is talk about it and get as much information as you can wtih people who are going through the same thing.

Good luck with accutane and stick with it!