Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sufferinginpa

Yasmin to Yaz. Please help!!!

Help. I'm thinking of taking Yaz instead of Yasmin to see if my dreaded Y infections stop every month. However, Yasmin has been a blessing for my skin. I wonder since it's the same DRSP amount if I will break out. Has anyone done this or advise from anyone who has taken both???

The progestin is the same, so most likely you will not break out worse. However there is a chance, of course. Sometimes it's the combination of the estrogen and the progestin in a pill that affects you certain ways. The yaz has much less estrogen. It's worth a try! I took Yaz before, and didn't break out at all. But I had all kinds of other nasty side effects. But I determined I just can't tolerate that particular progestin.

I saw some improvement maybe the 2nd pack after finding a good pill for me...but a real change didn't happen until about 6 months. My derm says it takes 2-8 months to see an effect on your skin from the pill.

Back in 2005 while a Sophomore in HS I was put on Yazmin, and had a horrible experience. I was also in the worst phase of my life with an eating disorder, severe depression, body & self-image issues, and a desire to be "perfect." Being on Yazmin made me soo emotional, and took my already severe depression to a new level. I was extremely suicidal and did other things to harm myself.. basically a horrible time. I have PCOS, but didn't believe the doctor who diagnosed me that year, since she didn't test me for it, but simply gave me a look and decided that's what I had. Turns out she was right, though I never saw her again and stopped the Yazmin after my first pack. I also gained weight with that, but everything was such a mess. Getting off the Yazmin and spending time out of the country is what gave me some happiness, though I feared weight gain and didn't try other BC methods.

However, now I'm on YAZ, and so far have had zero problems. As for depression and all of those areas--I've worked hard to overcome a lot of things, which I'm sure is making this a better experience. I'm seeing a nurse practicioner who knows what she is doing and is aggressive in treating PCOS. Her estimate for my face to clear up is 4 months. I'm keeping positive about it and am confident I will get cleared up, with everything else I'm doing. Although I don't know when, of course. I don't have much experience so far with the YAZ, but I will keep you posted.

I did the same thing- switching from yasmin to yaz, and after about 7 months on Yaz, i just switched to Apri. Anyway, when I switched to the yaz, the first few months i broke out really bad- large, painful cysts, which i usually don't get very often. After the first few months my skin calmed down a bit and got a little better. I ended up switching because i had other side effects from both the yasmin and yaz, so now i'm on a pill with different hormones.

I did the same thing- switching from yasmin to yaz, and after about 7 months on Yaz, i just switched to Apri. Anyway, when I switched to the yaz, the first few months i broke out really bad- large, painful cysts, which i usually don't get very often. After the first few months my skin calmed down a bit and got a little better. I ended up switching because i had other side effects from both the yasmin and yaz, so now i'm on a pill with different hormones.

K so this is a gross question, but what is the difference between a "cyst" and a "zit" ?

I decided to go back to Yamin because I immediately noticed an increase in oil. I'm back on Yasmin and dealing with the side effects. I really do recommend it to anyone thinking of trying the pill

The difference between a pustule (zit) and cyst is the size, depth, and duration it takes to heal. Cysts are deep, large, red, and take a while to come to a head. They are painful. My derm. qualifys them as the difference between moderate and severe acne. If it's cystic it's severe. I've had one or two ever and they are horrible.