Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hadituptohere

What does Allergy-related acne even LOOK like anyway????

I'm noticing on the Holistically Clear Skin club pics, the sufferers had inflamed acne - papules, pustules, cysts - usually all over their faces. Those kind of lesions seem consistent with what I'd imagine an allergic reaction to look like. Can food intolerances cause any other kind of breakouts - like skin colored whiteheads that don't come to the surface? In other words, am I barking up the wrong tree with my allergy suspicion?

With me it was cysts.

Before I discovered oranges to be the main culprit, I got them everywhere, but especially all along the hairline, temples, neck, and jaw. I still get one occasionally on my neck or jaw as a reaction to too much other citrus, mainly lime juice.

Even if you aren't allergic, it could still be some intolerance that causes inflammation that causes clogged pores, per Perricone's theory.

Thank you for replying, Alternativista. It's just so confusing ... I wish any of my derms had even thought to do an allergy test or even tell me that foods might cause my acne. As it is, all they ever did was give me retinoids and antibiotics. My whiteheads are stubborn and haven't left my face in years; in fact, I think the ones I do have now have BEEN here for years. Would stopping a certain food group even get rid of something like them, or only prevent new ones from coming?

my thing was increased oil, which lead to what felt like thousands of white heads/clogged pores under my skin on my cheeks, chest and back. i still have a few left over on my cheeks, and some old but newer ones on my chest and back from eating rice for two weeks which i stopped about a week ago. my acne was less inflammatory, more commedonal, so i'm totally with you. i think food and diet related acne, whether allergy or intolerance, will cause inflammation and come out differently in different people. once i stopped the oil, i stopped the clogged pores, and any inflammation. that's no dairy or grains, and some other foods like nuts.

Thank you for replying, Alternativista. It's just so confusing ... I wish any of my derms had even thought to do an allergy test or even tell me that foods might cause my acne. As it is, all they ever did was give me retinoids and antibiotics. My whiteheads are stubborn and haven't left my face in years; in fact, I think the ones I do have now have BEEN here for years. Would stopping a certain food group even get rid of something like them, or only prevent new ones from coming?

i think my new breakouts are stress ... from this diet!! ;) I came to that conclusion yesterday. It's amazing how stressful it can be ... avoiding all restaurants (I live in Japan and part of the reason I moved here was to EAT!) and being afraid to eat something with gluten in it. I think that's why I'm getting more papules and inflamed things along my jawline. I'm also stressed about my trip back home in a couple of weeks - how am I supposed to be in NYC and not eat all of my old favorite foods, which I've dreamed about for a year? Also, I'm sure my family won't be understanding at all about it. See? Stress.

I'm considering going off the diet, or at least when I'm back home as it seems impossible to keep up. If anything, at least I won't look worse than I do now - I've had all of these skin problems since I was a teen so it's not like I'll look any different to my family. It's just the ice pick scars are worse and I had really wanted to get rid of all comedones so I could get them taken care of. Where, I don't know since I don't trust dermatology in Japan AT ALL. I continued eating buckwheat since it's gluten-free ...

Ugh. So frustrated.

nuts, too? Great. Just great.