Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Justin Time

What's the Next Step for Me?

I have had acne ever since puberty, and it has been the most psychologically damaging thing in my life. This year I started getting nodules and cysts, so I guess I am classified as a severe case now, though I think I am so used to it now that I hate myself less then I did when I just had mild-moderate acne.

For the past year I have been taking minocyclin twice a day, and alternating between using differin and benzoyl peroxide 2.5% every night. For a couple months it worked, at one point I almost had no acne at all. But lately it has been back, and worse than ever. I do not think that I am severe enough to qualify for accutane, and I think my dermatologist would be reluctant to give it to me, so anyways finally on to my question: When I go to my dermatologist tomorrow, what is the next step in treatment for me? What would be treatments that I should reasonably ask for?

I need something to work, I hate this stuff. I don't want to go to school somedays, and have an avoidance of mirrors, as I don't even want to evaluate myself. If I could choose between finding the cure for acne or for cancer, I know which one I would choose in an instant.

Hey, have you heard of accutane?? If you are really tired of acne and you have tried lots of stuff, your docter will probably let you get on it. It has amazing results for people, but some harsh side effects if you aren't monitored closely by your Dr. Atleast look into it and decide what is best for you. I'm 84 days into accutane and although I'm not real clear yet, I'm still SO glad I've done it. Treatment usually lasts five to six months (150-180 days).

Thats what I was thinking. But I was not sure if my acne was bad enough to warrant accutane or not. But I have had many failed treatments.

But you say it requires close monitoring by my dermatologist. I might be moving soon, would he still prescribe it to me? Is it something you take every day like a pill, or is it something you get at the doctors or what?

maybe try only salycic acid and differin?

I find BP to be very drying and it irritates your skin to no end when used with other products

Salicyclic acid did not seem to work back when I tried it, and that was when I had mild acne. But I might try it again because I personally hate benzoyl peroxide.

Differin and Mino dident do shit for me eather man. I went to a new derm thinking he would choose accutane but he gave me Tazorac and Tetracycline. Tazorac is kinda like a topical form of accutane i have head. Maybe you will get put on Taz to.

Thats what I was thinking. But I was not sure if my acne was bad enough to warrant accutane or not. But I have had many failed treatments.

But you say it requires close monitoring by my dermatologist. I might be moving soon, would he still prescribe it to me? Is it something you take every day like a pill, or is it something you get at the doctors or what?

Hey, I totally understand where you're coming from. I had severe cystic acne all through junior high and high school. I know how much damage it can do psychologically. If you have truly tried all other options for an extended period of time then I don't see why your dermatologist wouldn't let you try Accutane. It was the only thing that really got mine under control and the same can be said for many other people. It might not last forever though as I'm finding out now at 30. My acne is still no where near as bad as it used to be, and I greatly regret not going on Accutane sooner. I would've had many more happy years if I had.

If Accutane is truly something you want to try after educating yourself to the risks, then you have to make sure your dermatologist understands how much your acne is effecting you. They have to know just how damage it is doing to you and how its ruining the quality of your life. If they think you aren't bothered by it, it's doubtful they'll prescribe it to you.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.