Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are B5 and accutane similar? Are they nearly the same??? Both are forms of vitamin A, right???

lol isnt B5 vitamin B?

ok, well I just sounded really dumb. I ment that they both work the same right...

Well, no. Some people claim that taking huge doses, like 20 or so B5 pills a day has a similar effect to Tane but is safer because B5 is water-soluble and isn't stored in the body (see the Holistic Treatments forum here for more details). If it works for them, great, but it hasn't been widely studied or conclusively proven. Also I figure if I'm going to take a possibly dangerous megadose of vitamins, I would rather do it under a doctor's supervision and take 2 pills a day vs. 20. :)

ok, well I just sounded really dumb. I ment that they both work the same right...

Well, no. Some people claim that taking huge doses, like 20 or so B5 pills a day has a similar effect to Tane but is safer because B5 is water-soluble and isn't stored in the body (see the Holistic Treatments forum here for more details). If it works for them, great, but it hasn't been widely studied or conclusively proven. Also I figure if I'm going to take a possibly dangerous megadose of vitamins, I would rather do it under a doctor's supervision and take 2 pills a day vs. 20. :)

B5= one poorly done study 12 years ago sparked hype in people taking what is NOT a safe drug in the doses recommended. NOT under a doctors supervision with NO guarantee it will work or remain working once you stop treatment. Theres also no standard protocol.

Accutane = Hundreds of studies, millions of prescriptions for over 25 years. Doctors supervision.

Similar?

B5= one poorly done study 12 years ago sparked hype in people taking what is NOT a safe drug in the doses recommended. NOT under a doctors supervision with NO guarantee it will work or remain working once you stop treatment. Theres also no standard protocol.

Accutane = Hundreds of studies, millions of prescriptions for over 25 years. Doctors supervision.

Similar?

Couldn't have been stated better.