Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's time for Accutane again! I was on it for only three months a month or so ago....but had to stop because I moved. My mild acne (thankfully not my crazy bad cheek acne) rapidly started coming back so I'm starting up the meds again. I'll be on 40 mg daily for a week, then alternate between 40 mg and 80 mg per day. I'm 120 pounds/~54 kilograms. I'll be on this course for about six months.

I haven't filled my prescription yet because I'm waiting for my dermatologist to look over my bloodwork....but I will update this soon!

Here is a pic of my current situation. You can't see but I have many skin-colored bumps on my face as well.

My Faceee

PS wow I need to pluck my eyebrows in this pic. :shifty: Hehe oh well.

Day 1

Bloodwork's fine and it's time to start. I was originally going to start at 40 mg daily for a week, and then alternate between 40 and 80. However, my pharmacist gave me 90 40-mg capsules, so I can start alternating right away if I wanted to....hmmm.

So as mentioned, I've been on Tane before. I wasn't on this high of a dose though, so we'll see what side effects that brings on. I just hope my face doesn't get TOO red because my boyfriend is coming to visit me in a week....haha. We will be snowboarding up at Whistler when he comes; ye gods, if I don't wear a bandana or facemask, my face will be BRIGHT red from the windburn!

Acne-wise, currently a few small whiteheads and many small bumps on my forehead, nose, and chin area.

Day 7

I'm on a higher dose than last time, and I can tell.....last time I was on 40 mg and didn't get side effects until about three weeks in. This time I'm alternating between 80 and 40 mg and have noticed a couple side effects already:

-very slightly dry skin

-slightly chapped lips

Snowboarding Whistler three days this week only exacerbated the lip problem....so maybe they will get better.

On the positive scale:

-No new breakouts

-No redness (hope I didn't jinx it)

-Skin feeling okay EXCEPT for the keloids.

I'll update with ya'll probably on......the 23rd. My unoffical boyfriend is coming in to visit on the 15th. I always am so self conscious about my skin around him.....so I hope everything goes okay!!!!! :pray:

mental note: do NOT type Keloid into google images *shutters*

good luck! hopefully you dont experience any more side effects other than the dryness ^_^

Day 8

Wow! I can definitely tell my dose is increased...........I am SO thirsty! I am literally gulping water all the time when I'm at home. Whenever I laugh my face is hot pink. How becoming. :hand:

Let's just hope these symptoms aren't too bad when the guyyyyy comes tomorrow. Tonight I took 80 mg though so tomorrow I will probably be pinkkkkk as hell.

Oh, and I realize I didn't mention this before... I'm around 5'5" or 5'6" and 120 lbs, or around 54ish kilograms.

day 17

Side Effects - Thirst, flushed face, slightly chapped lips

Skin - Goooood. No initial breakout this time since it'd only been like a month since stopping the Accutane....at least that's why I'm guessing.

So the course is going well. However, as of now, I HATE antibiotics!!!!!!! I'm talking Minocycline, Tetracycline, Doxycyline, etc etc. I was on antibiotics for around a year to two years total. A few weeks ago I developed a UTI. I took your generic antibiotics and thought it went away. However it came back as a kidney infection! That was sooo much pain. I almost had to be hospitalized and I had to be put on Ciprofloxacin, as well as Percocet for the pain. Talk about an experience. :mad:

day 19

Merry Christmas everyone..........Skin is alright. I wish the texture was better and that it wasn't flushed, but other than that, side effects are currently at a minimum. My friend gets here tomorrow to snowboard with me at Whistler for the next couple weeks. I hope my lips don't get painfully windburned/chapped!

Day 27

Skin is great on this higher dosage! I feel like my scars are actually slowly fading moreso on this higher dose than on my previous lower dose of 40 mg.

However, I have developed a small patch of exzema on my upper left arm. I feel this could be from the combination of Accutane and snowboarding for 7 days in a row. My lips are also slightly chapped......mainly from the winter elements up at Whistler though! I almost got the side of my lip split, but I put some shea butter lotion on it and it healed. Thank GOD, lip splits are so painful and take FOREVER to go away!

So I'm in a decent mood. Tomorrow is the last day snowboarding for this week......my classes start next week. Plus I'm listening to Slightly Stoopid. :)

day 33

Blehhh! Skin is dry and peelyish and lips are shredding themselves to pieces! I am almost out of Aquaphor so I got some medicated Blistex. I actually like it more than the Aquaphor......just because Aquaphor makes it look like I've been sucky on a juicy greasy pork chop for hours. Hehe.

The excema is still there a little...my derm appointment is Saturday! I have enough Accutane for like another 1.5 months but I still have to see her to make sure everything is a-okay.

My mood is a bit on the down side however. I am deciding where to transfer colleges and I think I want to go back to Hawaii. However the boyfriend is back east coast. :cry: That would suck being not together with him and being so far....but Hawaii is really the only place I fit in and feel myself, besides when I'm snowboarding here of course! Hopefully things will work out in our favour in the longterm. :/

day 42

Lips...peely and cracked. Not so much painful right now, just very irritating.

Skin...clear except for this stubborn blackhead above my lip that I played with (I know, bad me). The bad thing is that my skin doesn't look so good cause of the Accutane...it just looks reddish and not very smooth texture; I'm sure everyone can sympathesize there....lol.

I want my work visa to come!! I am SO bored. :wall: On Canada's website it says 41 days to process.....so it better damn well come by then!!!!!

Day 61

Skin - My face is pretty clear, except for the keloids and some marks. I had some slightly raised clogged pores but nothing major. My skin is flaking off like crazy now.

Side Effects - My lips were practically falling off my face, but after slathering them every 30 mins with Aquaphor for about a week straight, they are now very nice and manageable. My excema is gone but...I think I have somehow gotten some sort of nasty fungal rash possibly ringworm (which is not a parasite). :cry: So I'm glad I'm going to the doctor on Saturday....

For those who don't know I had a kidney infection in mid-December and recently it's been a bit achy there on and off. :| Hopefully that's okay and I just need to drink more water.

Life - Boyfriend leaving for Australia on Saturday. Sadness. I visited him before he left which was very fun and got some delicious dark chocolate truffles along with other stuff for V-day. I'm still waiting for my work visa to come.... My family is probably moving back to Virginia sometime in the next year. No offense to any Canadians or anything, but my mom HATES living here.

Well that's all I hope everything with everyone else is goin well.

Face

You can see the large keloid way in the backside of my face....blahhh. They make me so self conscious of people touching my face.

From the first picture I thought you had freckles but I guess it was the acne, nice improvement.

day 63

Just had my derm appointment earlier. She told me to switch from lotions to creams, which I just did today. She also injected my keloid scars with cortisone....she recommended lasering for my face after Accutane, especially on the keloids. Apparently it softens the core the keloid, and then cortisone can work better.

So nothing new other than that. Still alternating 40/80 mg a day.

day 68

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!!! My valentine is all the way in Australia but my parents got me stuff too! Haha. :wub:

My skin is SO much less dry now that I started using creams instead of lotions. I got the Neutrogena Comfort Creme for my face. For my body, I'm using George's Dry Skin Cream. It's made by some dermatologist in Alberta.

The skin is okay. I had a few slightly inflamed zits; I don't know if it's because my skin is still purging or because of the creams. Luckily they went away fast!! As soon as I started using creams my excema went down to a bare minimum as well. I do have some annoying irritated little bumps on my chest though. I never had these before Accutane so I'm just going to moisturize a lot.

day 68

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!!! My valentine is all the way in Australia but my parents got me stuff too! Haha. :wub:

My skin is SO much less dry now that I started using creams instead of lotions. I got the Neutrogena Comfort Creme for my face. For my body, I'm using George's Dry Skin Cream. It's made by some dermatologist in Alberta.

The skin is okay. I had a few slightly inflamed zits; I don't know if it's because my skin is still purging or because of the creams. Luckily they went away fast!! As soon as I started using creams my excema went down to a bare minimum as well. I do have some annoying irritated little bumps on my chest though. I never had these before Accutane so I'm just going to moisturize a lot.

your skin looks great!!

im on day 30 and tomorrow starting 40/80 alternating..kinda nervous that im gonna breakout hardcore and have even dryer skin than i do now..which is pretty dry

i hope it goes well and almost un-noticed

happy valentines day!!!

Day 70

Skin is well. I'm mainly updating just because I'm a little sad! This guy who lived in the dorms last year with me died from a moped accident. I wasn't close to him or anything but it really makes you think. . . there is an article about his death in the Honolulu Advertiser online. His organs are helping to save at least ten people.

Other than that, not much going on lately....going up to Whistler this weekend def.

Day 74

Skin is doing pretty well. I was snowboarding at Whistler the other day, it was so nice and sunny, and the sun actually made my skin look pretty nice....haha probably because I'm vitamin D deficient during these cloudy winter seasons.

No more excema thanks to using creams to moisturize! My skin is also no longer flaking and my lips aren't bad anymore thanks to large amounts of Aquaphor every night. I'm still alternating between 40 and 80 mg a day, so roughly 60 a day....I REALLY hope this keeps me clear.....

So Josiah Leming was on Ellen Degeneres the other day! I looove his songs. He's too good for Idol. :)

Only a few weeks until Hawaii <333 ALSO!!!!!!!!! I might be going to Australia in maybe May or something! My bf is studying abroad there. Then in June it's Mexico for my brother's wedding......oh gosh I'm excited for everything!

Day 80

I am leaving Canada on April 1st (haha, April Fools Day.....not!) because I cannot for the life of me obtain this stupid work visa. So I'm going back to live with a friend and work! I hope this works out with my derm though......I've been on Accutane since the beginning of December, and I'll make a last appointment with her on like March 31st. Then I can probably get my last two months prescription. :) So that'll make me have been on Tane for December, January, February, March, April, May...I hope my cumulative dose comes out to be enough! I'm on 60mg a day! Maybe I just shouldn't tell my derm I'm leaving after March......I don't need monthly appts here in Canada. Haha I don't know.

Skinwise I'm alright I had a small inflamed zit on my chin but nothing else. I just REALLY hope my skin doesn't go back to being shitty later on after the treatment. :'(