Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamesiepoo

Jamesie's Accutane Log

I'm a 20 year old male with mild-moderate acne. Usually acne occurs on my skin around my cheeks and jawline. I also have very seasonal acne where my skin gets redder and more inflamed during the winter.

My acne is has always been mild-moderate, and has seemingly gotten worse in the past month or so. I don't think my skin is nearly that horrible for accutane, but I think it was assigned to me because of its persistency. I'm glad that I am getting accutane because if anything has held me back and made me selfconscious in the past, it would be my acne.

So today I visited the derm for another check-up on my skin. I've been currently using Tazorac during the nights, with two doses of 100 mg of minocycline a day (one in the morning and one at night). I've been using mino for about 5 months and the tazorac for about a month. To tell you the truth I was not looking for an accutane handout and thought she would tell me to trek on with the tazorac, but she told me that I should think about accutane. I also think she made this decision because the effects of the mino are slowly wearing off. So tomorrow I am set to go get my blood work done. I'm not quite sure when I'm starting after I finish my bloodwork, but hopefully within this week.

Questions:

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for males to be setup for accutane treatment? I know females have to go through a big month or so before they even start taking medication, but how about for males?

If you could recommend any products that I should use while being on accutane that would be great, too. Recommendations on cleansers, chapsticks, moisturizers, and anything would be great. Thanks!

I went in for my bloodwork yesterday (Tuesday, December 4th). I am currently waiting for the results and hopefully will be put on accutane asap.

I went in for my bloodwork yesterday (Tuesday, December 4th). I am currently waiting for the results and hopefully will be put on accutane asap.

good stuff man. I actually just started my 2nd course of accutane this past monday. once you get the results back (usuallys takes 1 day) you can go the same day and get the script filled.

So I just called to see how my bloodwork went. All my levels are normal. Some of the things that they check for like cholestorol are based on a number of factors, so they said I should check with my doctor. I'm pretty sure that everything is fine though, I don't know why they wouldn't be. So I left a message to my derm just now to let her know that I am done with my bloodwork, filled out the paperwork, and to let me know when she can fill my prescription or what the next step is. I'll update when I get an answer.

Day 1

Okay so I finally got a call today to pick up my prescription. I just picked it up and am going to take my first pill this evening with dinner. I'm on a dosage of 40mg once a day for the first month. My doctor said that she wants to see how I respond with this dosage. I'm just happy that I'm finally starting! I also picked up some Cetaphil and Aquaphor. I'll update once I start to see some changes in my skin or side effects.

Day 4

I haven't experienced any side effects yet. Not quite sure if I'm going to either. Overall my skin looks somewhat better since I started even though I'm on my fourth day. I was breaking out these past couple weeks because of tazorac and was left with acne on my face in places I usually don't get it. I had some problems with my forehead from the tazorac and they have pretty much all disappeared from when I started this course. I don't know if the accutane has helped, but most likely it did. Also, my acne usually resides on my cheeks and jawline and I've seen some drying and healing going on so hopefully that'll continue.

I scheduled an appointment for my derm yesterday for the end of the month. My prescription doesn't run out until Jan. 10th, but when I inquired about a January appointment they couldn't give me one. Something about how there system wouldn't book appointments in January yet. Hopefully my appointment in late December isn't too early though. Anyways, so far so good.

hey jamesie,

i'm glad you're already seeing some difference! i was surprised that accutane could affect my skin within a couple of days. i haven't really experienced any side effects either, let's hope that both of us have easy courses.

i have an appointment with my derm 5 days before i'm supposed to get my prescription but she's just going to post-date one for me so i can get it after the 30 days. i'm sure your doctor can do the same.

Day 7

Okay so I'm on day 7 and things have been going pretty good. My lips are a little drier, but that's pretty much the only side effect that is going on so far. My skin has broken out a little. I'm starting get acne rising under my jawline. I'm pretty sure that it is due to the accutane since I usually don't get so much jawline acne. My face isn't perfect, but I wouldn't expect it to be obviously.

Day 10

It is now Day 10. I don't feel like time has flown by, but I am done with my first pack of accutane, which is nice. I'm finally on a much needed winter break from college and can relax for the next 3 weeks or so.

My skin is doing okay. I'm still getting my initial breakout, but I think it has been calming down a little...don't quote me on that though. I'm just hoping that my face starts to clear up a tad bit before I go back into school. As we all know our social lifes can suffer when all we can think of is the acne on our faces. So I definitely can't wait until I see signs of improvement and can boast around confidently knowing that my skin looks great.

As for side effects, my lips have been dry and peeling a bit. They actually kind of hurt from the peeling. They aren't oddly dry though. I've definitely have experienced my lips this dry in the past. My skin is dry too, but I kind of like it. Also, today I went shopping and noticed that I had a little headache. I don't know if it is part of the accutane side effects, but I rarely get headaches. It wasn't horrible though.

I was able to push back my scheduled appointment to January 4th. I think it is a good day, since the 7th I start back at school. I was considering having the appointment on the 7th since I started accutane on the Dec. 10th, but I'm not sure if I want to have to deal with starting a new batch of classes and having to go to the derm on the same day. I'm definitely stoked for my new school schedule though. I have 1 class M/W/F and 3 T/Th. If only I could make that 1 M/W/F a T/Th class that would be great.

EDIT: I also just noticed that I'm getting dandruff. :(

Day 12

My skin has pretty much landed in the IB stage. It's a little annoying, but luckily I'm on winter break and not in school. I have some forehead spots going on and alot more cheek and jawline acne. I've developed these lumps under my jaw, which I think are similar to cyst or ARE cyst, not sure. They have just been hanging there for awhile now. I'm waiting for some of this acne to dispell out of my body, but I don't know when it will and how it will. I imagine that it'll come out through my skin, but not sure if some of these spots will go away without breaking the skin. Is it usually just one big breakout then you start the healing process? Or is it multiple breakouts?

Day 14

So I'm on day 14, just two weeks in. So far my skin has gone up and down. At first I felt like my skin was healing, but all of a sudden the breakout that I has before starting accutane started to inflame again. This then started what I believe to be my initial breakout. Anyways this breakout is starting to sudside a little. I'm definitely still getting acne here and there, but it definitely is not a full blown breakout. I've noticed that my skin feels much smoother around my upper cheeks (the area right under my eyes) and that my nose feels super smooth. I rarely get acne in these areas and I feel like they are extremely smoother already because of this. As for my lower xheeks going into my jawline they still have acne. My lower cheeks seem to be slowly clearing though. As for under my jawline I seem to have cyst like acne and they seem to be drying on the surface, but they also seem lilke they don't want to heal/are going to stick around for awhile. I also have acne on my forehead which is unusual for me. I generally only get acne around my cheeks and jawline, which I think is the worse place to get it. The acne on my forehead is slowly healing, slowly. They are positioned on the left and right sides of my forehead in clumps. As for side effects my lips are dry and my skin is dry, but that's it. It's definitely noy as bad as people say, but I do find myself having to have chapstick around.

Day 19

Okay so I'm currently on day 19. Personally I feel like my skin is somewhat unexplainable. For some reason I feel like my skin goes up and down day to day. My parents have been taking notice to my skin though and have said that they see improvements and that my skin is clearing up.

My left side of my face has some activity going on. This is kind of strange because it was my clear side before starting the course. As for the right side of my face, it is rather clear. I don't want to say that it is where I would want it to be, but it's definitely liveable. Once again, this is kind of strange because I had a big flare up on my right cheek before starting accutane. I'm still battling with my jawline as well.

Socially the acne sucks. Currently I'm on winter break and I did not expect to spend it at home as much as I am. I mean c'mon I'm 20! Anyways, I've definitely been hiding out because of this whole IB and accutane situation. I've pretty much have ditched my friends and fun nights out. Oh welllll. I'm pretty positive about the whole situation though. I'm definitely not trying to let it get me down because I know soon enough this IB is going to clear and my skin will start to get better.

hey jamesiepoo!

your last post sounds just like what i'm going through! i'm on about day 25, so pretty close to you. the course so far is so up and down you don't know what to expect everyday. only two days ago was make face a huge red bumpy mess. now it's breaking out still but calmed down like 200%. every time i think i'm starting to clear up i just get a few more cysts. but overall it's been better than it was in the very beginning.

i know how you feel about not leaving the house. i've left the house only a handful of times in the past few weeks (i'm on my winter break from college too). it sucks bit time but it gives me an excuse to be a couch potato 24/7 :P just think, within a few months we'll barely have to think about our skin at all :)

anyway i hope your skin improves in time for the start of classes!

hey jamesiepoo!

your last post sounds just like what i'm going through! i'm on about day 25, so pretty close to you. the course so far is so up and down you don't know what to expect everyday. only two days ago was make face a huge red bumpy mess. now it's breaking out still but calmed down like 200%. every time i think i'm starting to clear up i just get a few more cysts. but overall it's been better than it was in the very beginning.

i know how you feel about not leaving the house. i've left the house only a handful of times in the past few weeks (i'm on my winter break from college too). it sucks bit time but it gives me an excuse to be a couch potato 24/7 :P just think, within a few months we'll barely have to think about our skin at all :)

anyway i hope your skin improves in time for the start of classes!

Day 28

So I'm now on day 28. This past Monday went to the derm and took a blood test and came back on Friday for my derm appointment. My derm said that everything was going well and that my results from the blood test came back well. I have all normal levels. I will be starting my second month in 2 days! In month 2 I will be taking two pills a day, 40 mg each. So that is a total of 80 mg a day. She said that it was a little high for me, but that I should be able to handle it as long as the side effects (dry lips, dry skin) weren't getting to me.

Skin wise everything is going pretty good. My cheeks are starting to clear up a bit. My jawline still sucks ass, but atleast that part of my face is starting to dry out, which is good. My forehead has gotten a bit better. I still have acne there too, but it's not horrible. Overall my face still has bits of acne scattered around all over, but there has definitely been improvement in the smoothness of my skin.

Day 55

I'm currently on Day 55 of accutane. So far everything has been going well. My skin has cleared up dramatically and I'm to the point where I am not selfconscious about my skin in public.

The past month or so that I haven't updated has been seen with more highs than lows. My skin has really only gotten better since the first month. I was having problems with my jawline and my cheeks. For the most part, all of the acne that I had on my cheeks and jawline is gone. I only have remnents of red marks now, which are barely noticeable. My forehead still has some drying acne, but I think it'll be all gone within the upcoming weeks.

As for side effects, my lips are always dry and peeling and my skin always needs moisturizer. It's not that big of a deal though, easily handled with moisturizer and lip balm.

For the past month (month 2), I have been on 80 mg/day. My doctor is keeping me on 80 mg/day for month 3 as well. I think that I'll probably be staying on 80 mg/day for the rest of the course, too. My doctor said that I was originally supposed to have a 6 month course, but she might move me up to 7 so that we can make sure that everything goes away for good.

Update//

So my acne obviously got much better after February, so good in fact I stopped updating my log. I was clear for the most part from March till about January - February 2009. However, I have started to get small comodone acne developing around my jaw line, where I previously had problems before.

I went to the derm this past Monday and was placed on Tazorac and duac gel. Unfortunately for me, my old derm has left the medical office I visit and now I have a new derm. I have previously taken Tazorac before and directly after stopping accutane. Previously I have seen no significant results from its use. With this said, I called my new derm back Tuesday (yesterday) to see if I could possibly take Accutane again before my skin worsens to the point where it becomes unbearable and reverts back to how it was before taking accutane. I will admit that my skin isn't horrible at this point, but I would not like it to get any worse.

From my understanding, after taking accutane you should receive the occasional pimple and zit here and there, but not an onset of an breakout on your face.

So finally today, I received a call back from the medical offices telling me that the new derm is willing to allow me to take accutane again. The nurse even said that she had suggested it when I visited (she didn't, had she done so I would've said "yes" with no hesitation). Anyways, I was able to perform blood work today to check my levels since I received the call early in the morning and hadn't ate anything since last night. I will have a follow up appointment this Friday and hopefully will be starting accutane as soon as possible!

With this said, I'm glad that I'm getting this second opportunity to take accutane again, however I have been extremely upset about how my acne has come back to plague me. After my first course I thought I would be out of the clear, but I guess not. I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to take accutane again since I had a new derm. Often times it seems like derms want you to go through the motions with them from step A, just to reach step Z --accutane. However, I'm glad this new derm has realized I have taken those previous steps before my last course and that this is the best option for me. Acne really does effect you emotionally and can be a detriment to your social life.

Question: Anyone that has taken accutane for the second time. Do you have to go through the whole IPledge process again or are you already registered from taking accutane previously? I still have my card and everything since it wasn't that long ago. So I want to know whether or not I will be prescribed accutane right away when I visit this upcoming Friday. Thanks.