Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
colleenie

Anyone know whats considered "low" dose and "high" dose?

Right now I'm on 40mg for the first month, and going up to 80 mg Dec 26. I am about 5'7 and 130 lbs.... is an 80 mg does considered high? Especially for my height and weight?

Hi there -

General prescribing guidelines for Accutane is .5 - 1mg per KG of weight. Low or lower dose is the .5 mg per KG of weight or less and higher dose is at or above the 1mg per KG of weight. Going over 1mg per KG of weight is a bit risky (more side effects) and most Derm's will only consider over 1mg per KG, if the acne is very severe and the skin is very oily and sturdy (ie. thick skin and not thin skin). High doses of Accutane for sensitive skins (or thinner skin and less acne) can irritate and sensitize the skin, so Derm's and patients should keep this in consideration and be watchful.

I'm 50kg (about 105lbs) and am on low dose as my acne is mild but my skin very sensitive and thin. My Derm. had me on 20mg most of my treatment, then bumped me up to 30mg. I'm ending my treatment this month. My treatment term is longer since low dose - 8 months. Accutane is GUD! My skin is sooo smooth, clear, and no acne!

Hope this helps.

Yvette

Hi there -

General prescribing guidelines for Accutane is .5 - 1mg per KG of weight. Low or lower dose is the .5 mg per KG of weight or less and higher dose is at or above the 1mg per KG of weight. Going over 1mg per KG of weight is a bit risky (more side effects) and most Derm's will only consider over 1mg per KG, if the acne is very severe and the skin is very oily and sturdy (ie. thick skin and not thin skin). High doses of Accutane for sensitive skins (or thinner skin and less acne) can irritate and sensitize the skin, so Derm's and patients should keep this in consideration and be watchful.

I'm 50kg (about 105lbs) and am on low dose as my acne is mild but my skin very sensitive and thin. My Derm. had me on 20mg most of my treatment, then bumped me up to 30mg. I'm ending my treatment this month. My treatment term is longer since low dose - 8 months. Accutane is GUD! My skin is sooo smooth, clear, and no acne!

Hope this helps.

Yvette

So I am going to be on a high dose.... grr. Great.

Thanks for answering, and congrats on finishing treatment!