Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been using retin a micro .1% for 16 weeks now. I started using it mainly for whiteheads and blackheads. About 3 weeks in my skin started breaking out quite a bit. It calmed down about a week ago but now the whiteheads and blackheads seem to be coming back. Also, now I have quite a few red marks from the breakouts. Should I quit? I can’t decide if it’s time to move on or if I should stick with it. I’ve read some posts that say it can take months but most posts I read people say they were clear long before 16 weeks. Please help, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I would talk to your derm. I don't think it's unusual to still be having some trouble at 16 weeks with a retinoid, but if you are concerned, then ask. You should have seen some improvement by then though. If you don't have any improvement, that's a sign that it's not working for you.

I would talk to your derm. I don't think it's unusual to still be having some trouble at 16 weeks with a retinoid, but if you are concerned, then ask. You should have seen some improvement by then though. If you don't have any improvement, that's a sign that it's not working for you.

Thanks! I have definitely seen some improvement, I guess I just expected more at this point.

Thanks! I have definitely seen some improvement, I guess I just expected more at this point.

After doing some research, I have decided to add Paula's Choice 8% AHA to the mix. I've only been using it since Saturday and I can already see a significant difference. Blackheads seem to just be falling off. You would think using the retin a all this time would have already done this. Anyway, I will try to update my progress. :)

Yeah, just definitely remember that with retinoids, it's usually about how long you can stick it out.

The best thing to do is have a healthy mentality - just try to forget about the progress of your skin while you're on Retin-A Micro (because if you're constantly waiting for it to clear up, you're going to disappoint yourself).

But if it goes nearly for a period of 5 months and you don't see improvements, then you should definitely talk about it with your dermatologist.

Good luck!

if your looking for something else try tazorac (retinoid) and benzmycin....my derm always said u need a retnoid and something else...i think he said antibiotic like the benzomycin a topical antibiotic that is the combo is really great