Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
No_MerCy

Lower Protein Intake?

anyone ever notice that your acne goes away when you lower your protein intake? everytime i eat very little protein i never break out no matter what and the lower i go the more clear my skin gets of course ive only been able to maintain this a few days because I start to lose rediculous amounts of muscle mass and im sure its not from food allergies either because ive tried whey, beef, chicken even soy with the same results

anyone ever notice that your acne goes away when you lower your protein intake? everytime i eat very little protein i never break out no matter what and the lower i go the more clear my skin gets of course ive only been able to maintain this a few days because I start to lose rediculous amounts of muscle mass and im sure its not from food allergies either because ive tried whey, beef, chicken even soy with the same results

This may be the case for you, but many on here have also said that when they became vegetarians or cut out red meat, their acne got worse- so to each their own.

Also fyi, I've found that even if i cut out most protein, as long as i intake extra calories as carbs and fat, i can still gain muscle. You do have to take in some protein, though.

hard to get scars when you have NO acne though and thats exactly what i have when i cut protein unfortunately it makes my body look like a piece of shit I feel like i physically look best when i take in 1 gram/lb everyday unfortunately my skin is the opposite so obviously god is fuckin with me hardcore

hard to get scars when you have NO acne though and thats exactly what i have when i cut protein unfortunately it makes my body look like a piece of shit I feel like i physically look best when i take in 1 gram/lb everyday unfortunately my skin is the opposite so obviously god is fuckin with me hardcore

Protein definitely is not the culprit. It might be something else you are eating or doing.

Agreed. Three things necessary for skin to heal are protein, vitamin c, and zinc. Surgeons have known this for decades.

Protein definitely is not the culprit. It might be something else you are eating or doing.

Everyone is different. Protein is good for the skin, but if your digestive system has trouble digesting it for example, it could cause problems. Why everyone could say protein cant cause acne i dont understand. Gluten is a protein. Some people react poorly to red meat etc etc. Also, keratin is protein- thats probably nothing to do with excess protein intake but its worth considering....

And heres an article about consuming too much protein. I'm not saying I agree or disagree so dont bother arguing, but if you go on google and type something like "too much protein kidneys" etc you will c plenty of studies about the downsides of too much protein.

I highly doubt it for example i can consume liters of soda, cakes, fried foods, etc. in massive amounts everyday without getting 1 zit (from experience) but when i take protein in any form it gets worse. I dont really see what else could be affecting it when i clear up completely once i keep it extremely low

Do you take protein shakes? Or protein powder? If so they might be what is causing you problems, but it is not because of the actual protein it is because of the other stuff in the protein supplements. Eating more protein from clean meat and other animal sources will only help your skin.

Do you take protein shakes? Or protein powder? If so they might be what is causing you problems, but it is not because of the actual protein it is because of the other stuff in the protein supplements. Eating more protein from clean meat and other animal sources will only help your skin.

Agreed. If by protein, you mean protein supplements, then that could easily cause problems. Try all natural protein sources like meat, fish and fowl. A lot of people only break out from dairy protein as well.

Assuming your not taking dirty protein for bulking (all protein in powdered form is dirty) which would no doubt cause you problems with acne, as a lot of body builders suffer from this from time to time.

Protein is very hard to digest, and theres lots of ways to improve it. Eat lots of smaller meals, eat your protein portion first, don't mix protein with certain other foods, take some Bromelain & Papain supps with your protein. Don't eat fatty protein or fats with/before your protein (this slows down protein digestion which is not what you need). A bit of Lemon juice/acv before your meal may help. Buy quality whole foods and try and cook them the best way you can, and watch what you cook them in.

However, high protein diets are usually fine for most people for short periods, or even long periods if your super healthy and have no kidney problems what so ever. If you already have or are susceptible to kidney problems then the extra protein will cause you problems no matter how many doctors posts in this thread about how protein is fine for everyone - without knowing a thing about you or your medical history!

While there was initial suspicion that high protein diets increased the risk for renal failure, studies have shown that kidney problems occur only in people with pre-existing kidney disease [3]. (Still, it should be noted that such problems may become apparent only when the stress of extra protein is applied to the kidneys.)

Agreed. If by protein, you mean protein supplements, then that could easily cause problems. Try all natural protein sources like meat, fish and fowl. A lot of people only break out from dairy protein as well.

Don't talk dirty about protein supplements. I got a lot invested in Optimum Nutrition!

The key is to take in quality protein, mainly from meat or animal by-product sources like cheese. The other non-essential amino acids mostly go into forming carbohydrates anyways, so it be kind of useless to consume high protein foods like soy or peanuts as the quality of protein is not that high compared to animal sources.

But you do not need to eat a lot of protein a day. I would tend to agree with the 50-75g/day that the USDA recommends.

I think that having too much protein can be a culprit for acne in some situations. I don't understand why people try to eat fat and carbs in moderation, but assume that it's okay to eat as much protein as they want just because its used in the creation of muscle. In excess, it has side effects just like any other nutrient, and 300 grams, being nearly 6x the RDA, is definitely an excess. Too much protein (less than 300 grams, I might add) is linked to kidney problems and malabsorption of minerals.

Protein is very hard to digest

Protein is actually the easiest of all macros to digest. Fats are next. Carbohydrates(esp. complex ones) are most difficult to digest. But this only applies to animal protein. Vegetable sources of protein are generally difficult to absorb.

I dont take any protein supps right now I basically get all my protein from chicken which seems to work the best beef sucks cause it takes like 5 hours to eat a steak and i seem to have some sort of allergy to eggs (meaning i break out extra). I have talked to a professional gastroenterologist awhile ago and he said stomach acids have very little importance in todays society since we eat so muched processed foods there are people who have efficient nutrient absorption while possessing very little to no stomach acid. I also notice if I eat alot of carb with the protein, especially quick absorbing stuff like soda it feels like it digests better.