Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ironmaiden

Should I be taking the pills with a fatty meal or without a fatty meal?

I am 5'11" male 144 lbs and I'm trying to gain weight. By gain weight I don't mean eat everything in sight. I have a strict diet that includes 40% carbs 30% proteins and 30% fats. The fats that I eat are good fats. But my question is this...some people say they take it WITH high fat meals and others say that were told not to. I wasnt told anything so I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Just take it with a normal meal. As long as it has some fat and you're not just eating lettuce you should be alright.

question: in my case, i normally have non-fat milk in the morning with wheat bread and jam.. is this fine with the isotretinoin? coz i have already started to switch to normal full milk after reading posts around here and i'm not sure if it will do my cholesterol level any good.. btw, all the stuffs in my blood test were normal except for my HDL wc is way low at 23.99 versus the normal range of 41-60.. my derm told me to just eat peanut butter and everything will be alright, but i'm not really a big fan of peanut butter so i don't eat it everyday.. any thoughts?

Read the directions you got with the medication.

Due to its high lipophilicity, oral absorption of isotretinoin is enhanced when given with a high-fat meal.

question: in my case, i normally have non-fat milk in the morning with wheat bread and jam.. is this fine with the isotretinoin? coz i have already started to switch to normal full milk after reading posts around here and i'm not sure if it will do my cholesterol level any good.. btw, all the stuffs in my blood test were normal except for my HDL wc is way low at 23.99 versus the normal range of 41-60.. my derm told me to just eat peanut butter and everything will be alright, but i'm not really a big fan of peanut butter so i don't eat it everyday.. any thoughts?

Get some 2% or whole milk. Accutane can be taken with fatty milk as a substitute for a fatty meal. Bread and jam is not a fatty meal, so you either need to change the food you're eatting with it or the type of milk. Personally, I take it with a glass of chocolate milk :drool:

any normal meal has enough fat in it for maximum absorption, don't be fooled by this fallacy that you have to eat it with maccas. that study above concludes "Therefore Accutane should always be taken with a meal", not "Accutane should be taken with a high fat meal". The study compared fasting with high-fat meals, not regular meal with high fat meal, and dosage says "Take with a meal".

no offense, but the study wasn't to see if high fat meals are good, but to see if not taking with food was bad, which it is. so just take it straight before or after a meal. that linked to information says to take it before a meal.

any normal meal has enough fat in it for maximum absorption, don't be fooled by this fallacy that you have to eat it with maccas. that study above concludes "Therefore Accutane should always be taken with a meal", not "Accutane should be taken with a high fat meal". The study compared fasting with high-fat meals, not regular meal with high fat meal, and dosage says "Take with a meal".

no offense, but the study wasn't to see if high fat meals are good, but to see if not taking with food was bad, which it is. so just take it straight before or after a meal. that linked to information says to take it before a meal.

My link is not from a study. It is from the prescribing information. And as noted in my post, the average diet should be high fat enough. If not, then one must add in additional fats. Simple.

I see what you're saying, but my point is that they compared fasting to high-fat meals, not average meal vs high fat meal. Therefore it does not prove that normal meals are not just as good as high fat meals, which is what the original post is asking about. And it is a study because they obviously performed a research experiment to get the results shown in detail. Don't worry I read the whole thing, I understand it is the PI.

So according to what you're saying, vimes, no study has proven that normal meals are okay. Why are you pushing it so hard, then?

So according to what you're saying, vimes, no study has proven that normal meals are okay. Why are you pushing it so hard, then?

So don't take accutane? Vit A won't dissolve in water!

Some fats are also good and necessary for good health... olive oil, nuts, etc. Also, a lot of food contains some fat, whereas some food contains none. ie, taking accutane with toast, you might as well not take it at all. Or you can do like I did and take it with fish oil tablets, I think it helped.