Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Fructose, Insulin, And Taurine!

Kind of off-topic post

I have braces. Do you think that can contribute to acne?

I read on the Acne Flowchart that Chromium and Magnesium deficiency leads to insulin resistance.

My theory is that the iron or whatever metal the braces is made of causes an imbalance in minerals. So the iron takes up a lot of space from the Chromium and Magnesium causing an imbalance. Like B5 does with the other B-vitamins while mega dosing.

Chromium and Magnesium deficiency leads to insulin resistance. And then eventually the insulin resistance leads to more testosterone and IGF1. Creating oilyness and over-production of skin cells.

Wouldn't we all benefit from Chromium and Magnesium supplementation? That would improve our insulin sensitivity and give us have a higher tolerance for sugary foods like fruit (which is the thing I probably miss the most right now in my diet).

Do I have a point or is this just crazy talk?

While I don't know if braces on their own could cause a mineral imbalance, there is no doubt that a mineral imbalance can cause sugar metabolism problems, so no crazy talk there! Since fructose has been shown to bind and eliminate these important minerals from the body, I'm looking for a multi mineral supplement with magnesium, chromium, zinc, copper, etc in them that 1) isn't ridiculously expensive, 2) is in bio-available forms, and 3) is in a capsule, or a tablet that has been shown to dissolve completely within at most 1/2 hour in water. For me personally, the citrate form gives me bad symptoms, so for me it can't have citrate in it, and that's where my hang up has been so far. But as soon as I find a good brand multi mineral that meets my requirements I will be including it in the regimen.

keep us updated! :D

Well an update from me and my Taurine experience: To my dismay, my acne has come back in numbers as I leaned on Taurine more and more. :angry: In mid-January I was seeing really good results with a new regimen I had started in December. Here's what I was using:

-General Men's 1-a-day vitamin. Lots of good stuff.

-50mg of zinc picolinate w/ 2.5 mg copper

-6x metamucil pills of psyllium fiber husk 2x a day (sometimes 3x a day)

-2-3g of Taurine a day (1000 mg each dose throughout the day)

-B-complex + viatmin C (with each 1000mg dose of taurine)

-500mg viatmin C + 500mg bioflavanoid blend

Since the beginning of January I've been experimenting with the regimen to determine what was working and what wasn't. So I cut back on the multi-vitamin, fiber, and vit c to maybe 1-3 doses a week to see if it was the Taurine doing the trick for my skin. About 2.5 weeks after just taking Taurine and a b-complex my spots started to return. Cysts, nodules, small ones, I got em all back and today my face looks like the worst its been since November.

Anyway, my skin took that fall at the beginning of February, and this week I've decided to switch my regimen around, again. :doubt:

After doing a lot of reading this week I've come up with a regimen focused on healing Leaky Gut syndrome (which I think I have) and a possible case of Candida. I picked up a small book on it at Vitamin Cottage and it really seems to make sense as a "root" cause of acne which was actually been exacerbated by all the anti-biotic treatments I've been on. I now think I was seeing a clearing in my skin from my first regimen mostly due the mineral supplements in my multi-vitamin and taking fiber with every meal. It seems the fiber acted as a band-aid to let less toxins through the weak walls of my stomach, which is why I saw such an improvement in the first month of adding fiber. But I guess thats a topic for another thread :)

Well I really just wanted to update my progress with Taurine and unfortunately it seems its not for me. Best of luck to anyone else trying it out!

Well, that's rather bad news serkios.

As for me, as I wrote yesterday, after 3 days of treatment I had no new zit which I was very rejoiced with. So rejoiced that I ate a bunch of unwanted stuff yesterday, including a pair of fruits etc. The payoff was immediate as I got like 3 or 4 new zits yesternight. Am now sticking to the fiber and chicken diet more fervently than before.

To all the guys on Taurine, please keep us updated on your progress.

Hi LiliVG

Have you discovered any difference in hair growth while on taurine? I remember a while back in this thread someone mentioned it. Wanted to know if anybody has seen improvement in thin hair on the scalp.

I feel like I'm going bald?!

Haven't been on taurine very long.. 2 months..so I've noticed nothing yet.

It's going to 2 weeks in this wednesday. my face is clear of acne, just red marks... I'm very glad about it but something still bothers me. which is my back.. it was clear a few days ago and now my shoulders and upper back broke out. I wonder if it's the AHA lotion.. I haven't been disciplined with the diet.. I still eat eggs (just yesterday and today) so I can't blame the eggs because it happened bfore. Also I drank lots of carrot juice the day bfore I broke out. So it could be the carrot juice? I read carrots have sugar.. =(

I don't know what caused it. I don't drink milk, fruits is just one once in a while. I have to start writing a log of what I eat through the day to get to the root of this evil!

Hi LiliVG

Have you discovered any difference in hair growth while on taurine? I remember a while back in this thread someone mentioned it. Wanted to know if anybody has seen improvement in thin hair on the scalp.

I feel like I'm going bald?!

Haven't been on taurine very long.. 2 months..so I've noticed nothing yet.

You mean you think the taurine is making you lose your hair? Taurine is commonly used to treat hair loss, I haven't heard of it causing hair loss.

It's going to 2 weeks in this wednesday. my face is clear of acne, just red marks... I'm very glad about it but something still bothers me. which is my back.. it was clear a few days ago and now my shoulders and upper back broke out. I wonder if it's the AHA lotion.. I haven't been disciplined with the diet.. I still eat eggs (just yesterday and today) so I can't blame the eggs because it happened bfore. Also I drank lots of carrot juice the day bfore I broke out. So it could be the carrot juice? I read carrots have sugar.. =(

I don't know what caused it. I don't drink milk, fruits is just one once in a while. I have to start writing a log of what I eat through the day to get to the root of this evil!

I think it could be the carrot juice. Juices are very concentrated forms of whatever they came from. You'll notice that carrot juice is naturally sweet, so the sugars in the carrots are concentrated. Also carrot juice is very high in beta carotene. Beta carotene can disrupt digestion in high doses and there's usually an adjustment phase for that, characterized by diarrhea, gas, etc. Many have noticed an association between the state of their digestive system, and their breakouts, so it could also be that.

Well an update from me and my Taurine experience: To my dismay, my acne has come back in numbers as I leaned on Taurine more and more. :angry: In mid-January I was seeing really good results with a new regimen I had started in December. Here's what I was using:

-General Men's 1-a-day vitamin. Lots of good stuff.

-50mg of zinc picolinate w/ 2.5 mg copper

-6x metamucil pills of psyllium fiber husk 2x a day (sometimes 3x a day)

-2-3g of Taurine a day (1000 mg each dose throughout the day)

-B-complex + viatmin C (with each 1000mg dose of taurine)

-500mg viatmin C + 500mg bioflavanoid blend

Since the beginning of January I've been experimenting with the regimen to determine what was working and what wasn't. So I cut back on the multi-vitamin, fiber, and vit c to maybe 1-3 doses a week to see if it was the Taurine doing the trick for my skin. About 2.5 weeks after just taking Taurine and a b-complex my spots started to return. Cysts, nodules, small ones, I got em all back and today my face looks like the worst its been since November.

Anyway, my skin took that fall at the beginning of February, and this week I've decided to switch my regimen around, again. :doubt:

After doing a lot of reading this week I've come up with a regimen focused on healing Leaky Gut syndrome (which I think I have) and a possible case of Candida. I picked up a small book on it at Vitamin Cottage and it really seems to make sense as a "root" cause of acne which was actually been exacerbated by all the anti-biotic treatments I've been on. I now think I was seeing a clearing in my skin from my first regimen mostly due the mineral supplements in my multi-vitamin and taking fiber with every meal. It seems the fiber acted as a band-aid to let less toxins through the weak walls of my stomach, which is why I saw such an improvement in the first month of adding fiber. But I guess thats a topic for another thread :)

Well I really just wanted to update my progress with Taurine and unfortunately it seems its not for me. Best of luck to anyone else trying it out!

Taurine won't help absolutely everyone (if it did, It'd be a miracle! The acne industry would be greatly disrupted! lol). But just to make sure, I have a few questions:

When were you taking the metamucil? Fiber supplements often block absorption of medications and supplements if they are taken closer together than 2 hours. The fiber binds the supplements up into a gel, making them less available for absorption.

It looks like you never tried the cayenne part of the regimen. The cayenne is there to help heal digestive problems. Cayenne increases stomach acid, which prevents things like Candida, dysbiosis, food allergies from incompletely digested proteins, and leaky gut syndrome. Candida doesn't do well in a high acid environment, and leaky gut syndrome is often caused by either a Candida infection, or undigested proteins entering you digestive system, causing localized inflammation, which then leads to the leaky gut problem (it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the jist). That's why I included the cayenne powder in the regimen, to address the digestive angle of acne.

If you think you have leaky gut syndrome, there's a straight forward test you can take that will detect it. It's a sugar absorption test. There are two sugars they give you to drink, which in a normal digestive system, don't get absorbed through the intestines, but in a leaky gut system, do. So they give you the sugars to drink, and then test your urine for the next 24 hours for those sugars. If they are present in the urine you have a leaky gut, if they aren't you don't.

No No NO . I thought it would help, like more growth. The supplementation would stimulate growth. Has anybody come back and said it did? or have you read any articles that may connect the two. I remember you talking to someone that suggested something along those lines.

No No NO . I thought it would help, like more growth. The supplementation would stimulate growth. Has anybody come back and said it did? or have you read any articles that may connect the two. I remember you talking to someone that suggested something along those lines.

I know one person said that the taurine stopped their hair thinning they'd been dealing with for the past 2 years, even while on accutane which can cause hair thinning on its own, so they were pretty impressed with taurine. And I did a search and found that taurine is an extremely common ingredient in hair thinning treatment supplements. But it's also gonna depend on the cause of the hair loss.

What do people make of this information:

WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS

Don't take if you:

Are allergic to any food protein such as eggs, milk, wheat.

Are at risk of poor nutrition for any reason.

http://www.mdadvice.com/library/vita/vitamin58.html

I've never read that before, and I've done a lot of reading on taurine. Also LivesInABox has gotten to the point where he knows even more about it than me, and he never mentioned that either (You should see some of the information he's gone up with in taurine! It's truly impressive!) Anyways, I've never heard of that.

What do people make of this information:

WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS

Don't take if you:

Are allergic to any food protein such as eggs, milk, wheat.

Are at risk of poor nutrition for any reason.

http://www.mdadvice.com/library/vita/vitamin58.html

I've never read that before, and I've done a lot of reading on taurine. Also LivesInABox has gotten to the point where he knows even more about it than me, and he never mentioned that either (You should see some of the information he's gone up with in taurine! It's truly impressive!) Anyways, I've never heard of that.

Thank you for replying. I don't know what to make of it either. I only posted it because so many seem to be allergic to those things. I am getting tested for food allergies on Wednesday.

When were you taking the metamucil? Fiber supplements often block absorption of medications and supplements if they are taken closer together than 2 hours. The fiber binds the supplements up into a gel, making them less available for absorption.

Early in my regiment I was taking the fiber with the supplements. :doh: Usually I'd try to take my morning supplements and not take any fiber pills, but eat a lot of fibrous foods for breakfast. i.e. A whole wheat bagel, an apple, or granola w/ yogurt. I'd also try drinking at least one red bull a day. But yea, I do see how fiber could have been interfering with Taurine absorption. So far I've seen the best results with a high-fiber diet, so I guess I put them above Taurine on the priority list. For the last 2.5 weeks I've been doing just the Taurine and B-complex and zinc supplements, and my face is about as bad as its been since last summer. I don't know if I didn't give it enough time or what, just seemed like I wasn't having the same results as some of the people in this thread. Maybe I just wanted to hit the fiber hard again since it has such a drying effect on my oily face and just felt good to take. I still think there's a lot of logic in how Taurine would be helpful to the body, so I won't discount it.

And on the cayenne, I do have a bottle of that around with some HCl. I didn't really take it during my last regimen, so I'll have to think about integrating it with my current one. Definitely good stuff to know, thanks!

I'd love to go get that test taken, and maybe go to an endocrinologist to see if I have any particular food sensitivities or anything. Thanks for the suggestions!

Early in my regiment I was taking the fiber with the supplements. :doh: Usually I'd try to take my morning supplements and not take any fiber pills, but eat a lot of fibrous foods for breakfast. i.e. A whole wheat bagel, an apple, or granola w/ yogurt. I'd also try drinking at least one red bull a day. But yea, I do see how fiber could have been interfering with Taurine absorption. So far I've seen the best results with a high-fiber diet, so I guess I put them above Taurine on the priority list. For the last 2.5 weeks I've been doing just the Taurine and B-complex and zinc supplements, and my face is about as bad as its been since last summer. I don't know if I didn't give it enough time or what, just seemed like I wasn't having the same results as some of the people in this thread. Maybe I just wanted to hit the fiber hard again since it has such a drying effect on my oily face and just felt good to take. I still think there's a lot of logic in how Taurine would be helpful to the body, so I won't discount it.

And on the cayenne, I do have a bottle of that around with some HCl. I didn't really take it during my last regimen, so I'll have to think about integrating it with my current one. Definitely good stuff to know, thanks!

I'd love to go get that test taken, and maybe go to an endocrinologist to see if I have any particular food sensitivities or anything. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'd try cutting the wheat, bagels are not a good source of fiber, but they are a very high source of carbs. Also, many are allergic to wheat. If I had to pick three foods to eliminate, it would be wheat, milk, and nuts. That's based on the poll I made where people voted on what makes them break out most often, and those were the top three by far. I agree high fiber does seem to help a lot of people, so definitely keep the fiber up, just try non-wheat sources :)

thanks Lili, I agree it had to be the carrot juice..hmm I will have to get the beta carotene from another source, carrots have sugar so no more carrots, or at least not that often

Where are constantly talking about fiber and its importance in the regimen. So, my question is, what would the 10 top-fibers be according to you? I'm not considering the special fiber pills and powders here.

I'm pretty confused. I've been eating organic ground beef and organic chicken from Sprouts, along with a lot of broccoli and cauliflower with natural sea salt and cold-pressed orgranic olive oil. My face has been clearing up pretty nice, but my progress was set back due to some depressive binging lol. Anyways, I love Redbull like nothing else and drank one every morning before I even came across your thread. I'm starting to wonder if Redbull is safe to drink considering there's more glucose than fructose in it..or should I give it up?

k I broke out in the right side of my jaw, 4 new red spots .. definitely is something I ate. I feel guilty I haven't followed the diet.. I started to eat yogurt again, and eggs in the last 2 days(I had some pork also but I doubt this caused it bcuase I ate it as well last weekend and I was clear) .. is just that I still have some left and I feel that I need to finish them or I wasted my money.. and again beside my 3 main meals I don't have any snack and I feel terribly hungry. crappp I SHOULDN'T HAVE EATEN! :doh: :doh: :doh: the weird thing is that I only broke out in one side of my face, the other side is healing fast :)

oh well.. wait another week for the spots to heal and start over again.. this is a trial and error and this is how I pay

Where are constantly talking about fiber and its importance in the regimen. So, my question is, what would the 10 top-fibers be according to you? I'm not considering the special fiber pills and powders here.

I don't think there are 10 different types of fiber, but I'll tell you about the ones I do know of:

On natural fibers:

Rice bran and oat bran are pretty good because in addition to being a good source of fiber, they also are highly concentrated sources of nutrition. For instance, rice bran is only 8% of the total weight of rice, but it contains 60% of the nutritional value of it (I may have those numbers off by a bit, but you get the picture).

Also, if possible, I'd try to get most of my fiber from vegetables because it's just more natural that way. You also don't run the risk that fiber supplements have of creating an intestinal blockage, or swelling in the throat if not swallowed properly, etc.

On packaged fiber:

The brand Citrucel is made of methylcellulose, a chemical that does not occur in nature. It has been associated with an increased risk of cancer. Although it is also claimed that it does not absorb into your system, that would not be the case for everyone due to circumstances such as leaky gut syndrome for instance.

Psyllium husks - a very good source of fiber assuming you take it with enough water, psyllium absorbs up to 50 times it's dried weight in water. This leads to a risk of intestinal obstruction if too much is taken at a time without sufficient water to allow it to swell to the point where it isn't just a solid mass within your system. Also, psyllium husks are associated with allergic reactions, in some cases rather severe allergic reaction, a few people have gone into anaphalactic shock and died. I do not know the incidence, percentage-wise of how often that tends to happen though. But this is one reason I'm a little wary of psyllium.

Inulin, chicory, FOS, oligofructose: these are long chains of fructose molecules strung together to form an indigestible starch. This form of fiber is considered indigestible because our bodies do not produce the enzymes necessary to break down fructose. This is true of all fructose, long chain and free alike (to the best of my knowledge). In the gut, fructose is broken down by bacteria. Once the bacteria have broken down the fructose (producing plenty of gas and discomfort in the process I might add, lol) it is then absorbed by the body to be further processed in the liver. This form of fiber is usually sold as the kind you can mix in a glass of plain water, and not see it or taste it, other than a mildly sweet flavor. This form of fiber is sold as a "pre-biotic" and it's sometimes included in probiotic supplements, it encourages the growth of bacteria because it is food for them. The problem is, it is not selective in which bacteria it encourages. It could potentially, for example, turn a mild case of dysbiosis into a severe one.

I'm pretty confused. I've been eating organic ground beef and organic chicken from Sprouts, along with a lot of broccoli and cauliflower with natural sea salt and cold-pressed orgranic olive oil. My face has been clearing up pretty nice, but my progress was set back due to some depressive binging lol. Anyways, I love Redbull like nothing else and drank one every morning before I even came across your thread. I'm starting to wonder if Redbull is safe to drink considering there's more glucose than fructose in it..or should I give it up?

I think it's because of the fact that there's more glucose than fructose in it that it's better than if it were sweetened just with regular sugar (sucrose) or even worse, HFCS. Fructose does aid in the metabolism of glucose in low quantities, it's not possible to avoid 100% of all fructose. I would just see you you're reacting to it, if it causes you problems or not. Some drink the sugar free version, though I don't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners. A few people have done very well with sugar free red bull as far as their acne goes, it's really your call. My opinion is it's better to take taurine + b-complex than to drink red bull every day though. Caffeine has been known to aggravate acne in some people.

I found this report online that summarizes pretty much what I've been saying about the role of diet in acne, but in official "Dr Speak", lol

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Final...e%20Article.pdf

Here's a small quote from the report:

Fig. 3 demonstrates that high glycemic meals in normal

male subjects significantly (P 0.05) elevate day-long

plasma insulin concentrations. Further, numerous studies as

summarized by Ludwig46 and Liu and co-workers47 establish

that chronic consumption of high glycemic load carbohydrates

may cause long-term hyperinsulinemia and insulin

resistance. Insulin influences circulating concentrations of

free insulin like growth factor I (IGF-1) and insulin like

growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3), which in turn

directly regulate keratinocyte proliferation and apoptosis.48

Chronic and acute hyperinsulinemia simultaneously elevates

free IGF-1 while reducing IGFBP-3.49-55 Free IGF-1 directly

stimulates basal keratinocyte proliferation, whereas IGFBP-3

inhibits basal keratinocyte proliferation irrespective of its

IGF-1 receptor activity.48 Hence, elevations in the free IGF-

1/IGFBP-3 ratio promote keratinocyte proliferation through

at least 2 primary pathways.

Alright, so... I've been on vacation for a little over a week, brief update on how this is working for me:

I stopped taking my antibiotic pill before the trip, but I kept taking everything else (4-6x 500mg taurine, 50mg zinc pill, and a multivitamin) pretty steadily throughout my trip. My diet is not even close to as strict as what others on here have been doing but I eliminated most fructose; its vacation, so there has to be some flexibility. Anyway, I've been doing pretty well; most days I have no new pimples/cysts/etc, things are healing, and all is well. But twice since I've started doing this, I've had two breakouts. Both breakouts have been similar: a few whiteheads the first day, by the second day some deeper pimples and a cyst or two, and then the new stuff stops and it just takes some time to heal. Now, before doing this I'd get new acne pretty regularly, not nothing and then a brief breakout. So, something I'm doing is working. That leaves me to conclude that I'm also doing something (well, did something. twice.) that triggers my acne. The problem is I haven't been able to isolate it yet.

The first breakout was over a four day weekend, where I had to be out all night two nights and was also extremely stressed about major assignments due the coming weekday. The second breakout was while I was on my cruise. So, it could be stress (vacationing isn't always relaxing, plus the breakout was as soon as it starts, and the process of getting packed and traveling can be stressful). It could be sleep disruption. It could be (and this is the bitch one cause it's so hard to track) a certain food I ate. Or... It could be exercise.

Now, this is a pretty pathetic 'work out': push-ups and sit-ups 'til I can't do any more. But, at about the same time I started eating healthier in general (and made some other habit modifications in response to acne), I also started this little bit of a work out. A few weeks later, I stopped doing that for a few days, and my skin got iffy. I wasn't sure why, I never tied the two together. I had made a few other changes at this point, so it seemed to be tied to those instead. But on both the long weekend and the beginning of my vacation, I didn't have time to do any of this. So, I'm considering that it's actually the last 'cause' of me breaking out.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but everyone in here is pretty knowledgeable so I want to pick your brains for a few posts... What exactly are the hormonal/digestive/etc. effects of working out/exercise? I knew in a general sense they relieve stress. I also group it with testosterone in my head but I have no research or source really backing that. From the tiny bit of the DIM thread I read, it seemed that the cause was estrogen dominance. I'm also not a very hairy guy, though I'm young enough (17) that I guess its reasonable. But, it seems like this might actually make sense. What do you guys think?

Alright, so... I've been on vacation for a little over a week, brief update on how this is working for me:

I stopped taking my antibiotic pill before the trip, but I kept taking everything else (4-6x 500mg taurine, 50mg zinc pill, and a multivitamin) pretty steadily throughout my trip. My diet is not even close to as strict as what others on here have been doing but I eliminated most fructose; its vacation, so there has to be some flexibility. Anyway, I've been doing pretty well; most days I have no new pimples/cysts/etc, things are healing, and all is well. But twice since I've started doing this, I've had two breakouts. Both breakouts have been similar: a few whiteheads the first day, by the second day some deeper pimples and a cyst or two, and then the new stuff stops and it just takes some time to heal. Now, before doing this I'd get new acne pretty regularly, not nothing and then a brief breakout. So, something I'm doing is working. That leaves me to conclude that I'm also doing something (well, did something. twice.) that triggers my acne. The problem is I haven't been able to isolate it yet.

The first breakout was over a four day weekend, where I had to be out all night two nights and was also extremely stressed about major assignments due the coming weekday. The second breakout was while I was on my cruise. So, it could be stress (vacationing isn't always relaxing, plus the breakout was as soon as it starts, and the process of getting packed and traveling can be stressful). It could be sleep disruption. It could be (and this is the bitch one cause it's so hard to track) a certain food I ate. Or... It could be exercise.

Now, this is a pretty pathetic 'work out': push-ups and sit-ups 'til I can't do any more. But, at about the same time I started eating healthier in general (and made some other habit modifications in response to acne), I also started this little bit of a work out. A few weeks later, I stopped doing that for a few days, and my skin got iffy. I wasn't sure why, I never tied the two together. I had made a few other changes at this point, so it seemed to be tied to those instead. But on both the long weekend and the beginning of my vacation, I didn't have time to do any of this. So, I'm considering that it's actually the last 'cause' of me breaking out.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but everyone in here is pretty knowledgeable so I want to pick your brains for a few posts... What exactly are the hormonal/digestive/etc. effects of working out/exercise? I knew in a general sense they relieve stress. I also group it with testosterone in my head but I have no research or source really backing that. From the tiny bit of the DIM thread I read, it seemed that the cause was estrogen dominance. I'm also not a very hairy guy, though I'm young enough (17) that I guess its reasonable. But, it seems like this might actually make sense. What do you guys think?

Lately I've noticed that poor sleep habits have been derailing me.

Hey, a good point that you've just raised here.

As for the work-out, I don't know if they affect me or not, since I have been working out about 15 hours per week for the past 3 years. Also, in my case it is pretty tough to come up with a conclusion since I practice rather full-contact martial arts and tend to have all kinds of bruises, openings and fractures on my face on a regular basis. :)) So, it is pretty hard to tell if the overall state of my face is influenced by the sport as the acne scars are well compensated by the regular ones. :))

All in all, subjectively-speaking, I would say that the sport definitely has a positive influence on me, both emotional and physical-wise.

As for the hormonal level, I think this statement of yours does make sense since I am not a very hairy, nor a crazy sex-driven person either. I think it should have something to do with hormones.