Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Fructose, Insulin, And Taurine!

Lili,

As you know, taurine has worked great for me so far; however, I've experimented with the doses every week, and noticed that 1,500 mg doses, 2x per day for a one week period, caused some gastro-intestinal upset. Since then, I've split them into 1,000 mg doses, 3x per day, and it doesn't seem to be troubling my stomach at all.

What's the idea behind this? How do bodybuilders avoid this problem when they often take 5 to 10x the standard dosage?

-Cleric

I was taking 2000mg 3x a day for a while as an experiment, and I didn't notice that problem, but higher doses can cause a laxative effect in some. I really don't know how the body builders handle their higher doses (some take almost 20 grams a day! lol). I think it's a personal sensitivity thing. But either way, splitting it up does help with absorption I believe, so you're better off anyway.

Thanks, Lili... you're such a wealth of information. :)

A question on Bananas:

As I do a lot of sports it is kinda tough for me to totally abstain all rapid sugar supplies while on-the-go.

So I ran a research on Bananas and it seems that they are only 14% fructose while 66% sucrose and 20% glucose.

So, is it OK to take 1 or 2 bananas per day or do I risk to mess up the regimen?

What I am trying to figure out is what to eat before sports - coz I may well "fly away" if staying without at least some rapidly available energy sources for the whole day.

What would you recommend else if not bananas?

Keep in mind when viewing sugar profiles that sucrose is 50% fructose and 50% glucose, so what you're actually looking at with bananas is 47% fructose and 53% glucose. I've found for me personally that a sugar profile more heavily weight toward glucose doesn't seem to give me problems. I don't know if that's just me though. Also bananas can cause allergic reactions in people who are allergic to latex, they share a similar protein that sets off allergic reactions. I've seen pure dextrose sold at body building websites, which is pure glucose, a completely fructose free sugar, which will still give you the rapid sugar without the fructose. However, anytime you consume rapid sugars, you will be triggering an insulin spike, so I haven't been able to find a good answer for this question. Ordinarily I tell people to make sure their carbs are "slow" carbs, but athletics presents a problem in that regard. Are slow carbs sufficient for you, or do they need to be rapidly absorbed? Is there a reason that they need to be absorbed as quickly as possible? I'd like to find a solution to this problem because it's come up frequently with body building.

you could get the same effect from a low glycemic/low carb/high protein diet.

which seems like the healthiest diet for humans.but the taurine supplementation seems good to get things back in order.

studies have shown animals on a calorie restricted diet have very little disease even when they get to old age, this isnt exactly the same as low carb but it has alot to do with lower insulin levels over a lifetime. thats is why ive started a calorie restricted diet, low calorie and high in nutrients. just meats and veggies basically.

Finally got myself some Taurine and started LiliVG's regiment on the 19th.

Would like to know how much time it takes to see the first improvements. Coz haven't noticed anything as of yet.

Didn't have an opportunity to eat anything this morning. So first ate at around 4PM. Didn't feel as hungry as I normally would. Wonder if it's due to Taurine. Anyone ever noticed the same effect?

Also, despite not eating anything until late, still noticed one or two underskin zits at around 3PM; wonder where they could come from.

Will inform you about the experiment's results on a regular basis, for science's sake. :))

Finally got myself some Taurine and started LiliVG's regiment on the 19th.

Would like to know how much time it takes to see the first improvements. Coz haven't noticed anything as of yet.

Didn't have an opportunity to eat anything this morning. So first ate at around 4PM. Didn't feel as hungry as I normally would. Wonder if it's due to Taurine. Anyone ever noticed the same effect?

Also, despite not eating anything until late, still noticed one or two underskin zits at around 3PM; wonder where they could come from.

Will inform you about the experiment's results on a regular basis, for science's sake. :))

Considering you just started it yesterday, I think it's too soon to come to any conclusion on it's effectiveness. I have noticed that removing wheat made a big difference for me, are you avoiding the top 7 allergens as well?

I've been doing my best at avoiding wheat, dairy, nuts, fruits, citrus, hydrogenated oils etc. The most difficult part turned to be fruits. Coz I'm doing sports rather intensively and simply could not not have a banana today and the day before yesterday. From my past experience I could not remember having an allergy on them. But everything is possible.

At several points, ever since I started the regimen (about 4 days ago - only yesterday evening for Taurine though), it seemed to me that the skin has gotten better and much less oily. But then, I get this zit or two "out of nowhere" which messes up the whole picture and makes my analytic work as to how and why much more difficult.

What I found curious about the regimen though is that I basically can eat all the stuff I've always liked - whole grains, light meats, vegetable. But then, you get this fruits limitation which is somewhat harsh - coz I like them and, what's more, actually feel my body need them - which is not the case for daily and white wheat for instance. I am trying to do my best to abstain though.

As for the Taurine intakes, I consume it in carbonized water with a quarter of a B-100 vit granule, together with a whole bunch of other vitamins, minerals, Omega 3-6 (fish oil, flax oil and ev.primrose, cold pressed org.olive etc.) and accompany my meals with Cayenne. So it should be all fine and conventional. :))

I've been doing my best at avoiding wheat, dairy, nuts, fruits, citrus, hydrogenated oils etc. The most difficult part turned to be fruits. Coz I'm doing sports rather intensively and simply could not not have a banana today and the day before yesterday. From my past experience I could not remember having an allergy on them. But everything is possible.

At several points, ever since I started the regimen (about 4 days ago - only yesterday evening for Taurine though), it seemed to me that the skin has gotten better and much less oily. But then, I get this zit or two "out of nowhere" which messes up the whole picture and makes my analytic work as to how and why much more difficult.

What I found curious about the regimen though is that I basically can eat all the stuff I've always liked - whole grains, light meats, vegetable. But then, you get this fruits limitation which is somewhat harsh - coz I like them and, what's more, actually feel my body need them - which is not the case for daily and white wheat for instance. I am trying to do my best to abstain though.

As for the Taurine intakes, I consume it in carbonized water with a quarter of a B-100 vit granule, together with a whole bunch of other vitamins, minerals, Omega 3-6 (fish oil, flax oil and ev.primrose, cold pressed org.olive etc.) and accompany my meals with Cayenne. So it should be all fine and conventional. :))

Sounds like you're doing a great job sticking to everything :) Which whole grains are you eating? It could be a gluten issue, grains other than wheat do contain it, like barley. Also, I'd give it more time, it could be those pimples were in the works from before you started the regimen.

The fruit thing is hard because they do taste good. That was one of the hardest parts for me. The wheat and the fruit, those were the two most difficult to stick to. But now that I've settled in it's much easier, I don't even think about it much at all anymore. And it's not a permanent elimination of fruit, it's a temporary elimination, which will then allow you to test your tolerance for fruit later once your skin has cleared. It may be that fruit is fine for you, but if you don't give yourself a proper testing environment, you'll never know what the trigger was. Besides that, you need to give your body the chance to reset the insulin sensitivity if that was a problem.

It sounds like you're doing a great job! :) Keep us all posted :)

Sounds like you're doing a great job sticking to everything :) Which whole grains are you eating? It could be a gluten issue, grains other than wheat do contain it, like barley. Also, I'd give it more time, it could be those pimples were in the works from before you started the regimen.

The fruit thing is hard because they do taste good. That was one of the hardest parts for me. The wheat and the fruit, those were the two most difficult to stick to. But now that I've settled in it's much easier, I don't even think about it much at all anymore. And it's not a permanent elimination of fruit, it's a temporary elimination, which will then allow you to test your tolerance for fruit later once your skin has cleared. It may be that fruit is fine for you, but if you don't give yourself a proper testing environment, you'll never know what the trigger was. Besides that, you need to give your body the chance to reset the insulin sensitivity if that was a problem.

It sounds like you're doing a great job! :) Keep us all posted :)

I mainly eat buckwheat, black untreated rice, lentils and big beans (don't know how you call'em exactly - it should be a South American special). Yesterday I also ate 3 of those Swedish whole-wheat/rye/mixed whole-cereal mini breads - I think they should be safe.

Above that, I eat everything unsalted or only slightly salted - and if I put salt on it, it is this natural organic manually processed sea-salt from Bretagne.

I also try to drink at least 2 litres of filtered tap or mineral water a day. Whereas I usually drink twice or thrice as much when I work out.

So, I'm honestly trying to do everything to the max - for the experiment’s sake and for my personal pleasure - such a purist I am. )

I've got a series of questions for you if you don't mind:

1.Do you think there might be something wrong about my diet? Like the Swedish mini-breads (I forgot the name – Björk I guess), lentils, buckwheat or beans?

2.Is it OK to eat carrots (uncooked)? Coz I heard some people saying it actually provokes acne. What about the A-vitamin?

2.How much time does it take for an allergen to provoke an acne eruption: The time it is digested, 12h, 24h or more?

3. Is it OK to drink Green Tea - some say it is beneficial for acne treatment, whereas I find I might be getting acne from the caffeine in it.

Many thanx again Lili and all the participants.

1.Do you think there might be something wrong about my diet? Like the Swedish mini-breads (I forgot the name “ Björk I guess), lentils, buckwheat or beans?

2.Is it OK to eat carrots (uncooked)? Coz I heard some people saying it actually provokes acne. What about the A-vitamin?

2.How much time does it take for an allergen to provoke an acne eruption: The time it is digested, 12h, 24h or more?

3. Is it OK to drink Green Tea - some say it is beneficial for acne treatment, whereas I find I might be getting acne from the caffeine in it.

Many thanx again Lili and all the participants.

1. Out of everything you listed, I only see a problem with the mini breads, everything else looks fine.

2. Uncooked carrots I would think would be fine. The problem with carrots is when they have been cooked too long. Cooked carrots actually have a higher GI score than ice cream because during cooking the starches break down into simple sugars, causing insulin spikes.

Carrots don't have vitamin A, they are very high in beta carotene which is then converted into Vitamin A by the liver on an as-needed basis, and the rest is discarded. So it's impossible to overdose on beta carotene. I don't know of any reason why there would be an issue with natural beta carotene in regards to acne.

3. An allergic reaction can show up anywhere from a few minutes to 3 days later, it depends on how your individual system reacts.

4. I've heard good things about green tea, maybe try to find a decaf version. Many people swear up and down that caffeine makes their acne worse. But there's some debate as to whether it's the caffeine, or what the caffeine tends to come packaged in, usually coffee, soda, or chocolate. It is possible it is criminalization by association. However, there is some reason to think that caffeine can contribute to inflammation. Caffeine directly competes with adenosine, which is an amino acid that the immune system looks for as "the" key signal to stop the inflammatory process and return to a normal state. Caffeine binds to the same receptors that adenosine would ordinarily bind to but without stimulating them. This blocks adenosine from being able to bind to those cell receptors, and so makes the cells "blind" to the adenosine available. Therefore they cannot be aware of the body's attempted signal to reverse inflammation.

Green tea on its own, caffeine aside, has a lot of research on its side as far as being anti-inflammatory so I would think a decaf version would be beneficial for treating acne.

OK, I'll dump the mini-breads.

As for Caffeine, I certainly think I am allergic to it. As well as to chocolate and its derivatives.

I remember telling it to my demato once, to which he reacted as though there was no such thing possible. I was very-very much surprised with him saying that but attributed it to my non-savant profile.

Ever since, I experimented diligently and frequently with caffeine and choco allergic triggering on my organism and EACH AND EVERY time it turned out to be positive allergenic.

Not ONCE did my dermato tell me anything about a possible link with some alimentary products-driven allergies or intolerance and acne. I only found this out about a week ago on this forum (and deem this true).

I mean, how wise is that not to inform the patients about such banality as a diet!

LiliVG - Don't you think that people's acne cleared up after drinking red bull not only because of the taurine but also because of the Inositol and Glucurolactone?

I have done a bit of reading on the other two substances and it seems viable that thy could have an effect.

The only problem is that Glucurolactone (potent detoxifier) doesn't sell retail as far as I can see.

Inositol sells together in a tablet with Choline at GNC and is said to aid in the removal of toxins from the liver in addition to other benefits.

Also what are your thoughts on taking fibrecaps and milk thistle?

(forgot to add above)

Does anyone know if taking, say, 500mg of inositol/day would cause a deficiency in the other B vitamins because inositol has been referred to as vitamin B8 in some sites.

LiliVG - Don't you think that people's acne cleared up after drinking red bull not only because of the taurine but also because of the Inositol and Glucurolactone?

I have done a bit of reading on the other two substances and it seems viable that thy could have an effect.

The only problem is that Glucurolactone (potent detoxifier) doesn't sell retail as far as I can see.

Inositol sells together in a tablet with Choline at GNC and is said to aid in the removal of toxins from the liver in addition to other benefits.

Also what are your thoughts on taking fibrecaps and milk thistle?

Inositol could definitely be helping, and it is included in most b complex supplements along with the other b vitamins listed on the red bull label.

I have looked into glucuronolactone. It is a detoxifier, but the reason I doubted it was that as the main thing that was helping is that glucuronolactone is produced as a natural by product of sugar metabolism in the liver. I'm fairly certain that citizens of most western countries are getting more than enough sugar, and therefore are not deficient in glucuronolactone. In addition to that, the research on glucuronolactone is seriously lacking, and it's not legal for sale in many countries. That's not to say that glucuronolactone wouldn't or couldn't help, but I found that supplementing with taurine effectively helped clear my acne, as well as helped other people too. I haven't tried supplementing with glucuronolactone because I couldnt find any safety information on it. But the thing that made me feel it wasn't the glucuronolactone improving acne more certainly was that some members on this forum have tried drinking other energy drinks that do not contain glucuronolactone, but did contain taurine, and their skin started improving right away just as it did with Red Bull. Also, glucuronolactone is impossible to get in many countries, even more so than taurine.

If someone wants to be a guinea pig and get some glucuronolactone, I would definitely be interested to see if it helped, but I'm wary of it because of how little is actually known about it. There are virtually no studies on it, and I really tried to find something published from a valid source, so I don't know, I can't really say one way or the other if it could help or not because I'd have no information on it with which to base a theory on. To an extent it is "natural" in that your body does produce it on it's own, but what the consequences are of supplementing additional amounts are not really known, and there's no way of knowing what a recommended dose would be. I would think it can't be too bad since it's in Red Bull, and people drink that all the time, but the long term health effects of supplementing additional glucuronolactone over a period of years I don't think is known.

About fibercaps: with any fiber supplement, it needs to be taken at least 2 hours before or after any other supplements or medications to prevent interference of absorption. Also extremely important is to make sure you drink enough water when taking a fiber supplement. It has happened that a person swallowed a fiber pill, and it lodged in their throat, swelled up and got stuck and the person choked to death. Always drink at least 1 full glass of water immediately after taking a fiber pill. Having said that, most fiber pills don't contain much fiber at all, and you'd have to take about 6 at a time for it to have any significant impact on your daily fiber intake, and having the desired effects on digestion. I've found shakes are a better way of getting fiber because you don't have the choking hazard, and you are able to get enough fiber to have an effect on your digestive system.

Milk thistle is supposedly estrogenic or anti-androgenic, and also has a reputation for clearing the liver, but that's about as much as I know about it.

I'm starting to think about the redbull thing. I think I'm gonna give it a shot!

Any of you guys are doing / have done it? Is it any good?

Input much appreciated :) Thanks

I'm starting to think about the redbull thing. I think I'm gonna give it a shot!

Any of you guys are doing / have done it? Is it any good?

Input much appreciated :) Thanks

Started the program with powdered Taurine on the 19th. Three days later I'm beginning to see some very positive results. Am very strictly sticking to the regimen - no sugars, fruits, dairy, nuts, wheat, transfats etc. Am also doing a general detox program with it. Oddly enough, the detox diet almost perfectly matches LiliVG's regimen. So, decided to give it a try while on it.

Very noticeable results both physical and neuronal-wise. Am feeling very good and the mind is clearer than ever.

The start is very promising. But we'll see later. Am keeping track of everything with a detailed numeric daily dynamics report. Plan to publish some stats on the 26-27th.

Have never tried it with RedBull, but believe pure Taurine is better since you can alter the dosage more easily, plus no Caffeine to which there may be allergies.

well I've been on the taurine for about a week now... I don't noticed new pimples, just today! and is not a big deal.. I can't really tell if it's helping bcause that what happens to me, I stay clear for a week.. then next week I break out.. then next week I'm clear and so on, is like a cycle. My back is clearing up but I guess that's because of the AHA lotion.

if I can stay clear for 2 weeks then I can say it's helping me. However, is too soon to tell, one week or 2 weeks are not enough so I'll continue for 1 month. Also my diet.. well I still eat some oranges, I drink carrot juice and green veggies just bcause I barely had them bfore so I must have a vitamin A deficiency. I eat tunas, chicken, beef, rice, flax bread.. and I didn't realize my b complex has some wheat bran ingridient! haha oh well..

serendip, what kind of detox program you're using?

Hi,

This is to notify you that as of this morning Feb 23, 2008, I've got NO NEW ZITS at all. Have a few old ones left, but they are drying out - both visible and under-skin. Started the Taurine intake on Feb, 19 and the regimen itself four days earlier.

If the results stay in the long term, I would have to nominate LiliVG for the Nobel Prize. :o)

Not to mention the overall physical and mind conditions which are perfect. Guess it should be due to the regimen.

Will willingly answer your questions if any.

Have actually been keeping the log with the zits statistics, but there seems to be no need for it as there are no more new once at all.

If I eat real cayenne peppers or just eat a lot of spicy food instead of taking the capsules, would that still be good for digestion?

It would, but it would be less consistent because most people don't eat spicy food at every single meal, like breakfast for example. So the capsules just allow for consistency, and for some people who don't like spicy stuff, it makes it easier to stick to.

Hi,

This is to notify you that as of this morning Feb 23, 2008, I've got NO NEW ZITS at all. Have a few old ones left, but they are drying out - both visible and under-skin. Started the Taurine intake on Feb, 19 and the regimen itself four days earlier.

If the results stay in the long term, I would have to nominate LiliVG for the Nobel Prize. :o)

Not to mention the overall physical and mind conditions which are perfect. Guess it should be due to the regimen.

Will willingly answer your questions if any.

Have actually been keeping the log with the zits statistics, but there seems to be no need for it as there are no more new once at all.

That's so great that it's working so well for you! :D It's great that you are sticking with the regimen so closely, I really think that makes a big difference. It's not easy to do, I know, so I commend you on that :)

Kind of off-topic post

I have braces. Do you think that can contribute to acne?

I read on the Acne Flowchart that Chromium and Magnesium deficiency leads to insulin resistance.

My theory is that the iron or whatever metal the braces is made of causes an imbalance in minerals. So the iron takes up a lot of space from the Chromium and Magnesium causing an imbalance. Like B5 does with the other B-vitamins while mega dosing.

Chromium and Magnesium deficiency leads to insulin resistance. And then eventually the insulin resistance leads to more testosterone and IGF1. Creating oilyness and over-production of skin cells.

Wouldn't we all benefit from Chromium and Magnesium supplementation? That would improve our insulin sensitivity and give us have a higher tolerance for sugary foods like fruit (which is the thing I probably miss the most right now in my diet).

Do I have a point or is this just crazy talk?

Kind of off-topic post

I read on the Acne Flowchart that Chromium and Magnesium deficiency leads to insulin resistance.

My theory is that the iron or whatever metal the braces is made of causes an imbalance in minerals. So the iron takes up a lot of space from the Chromium and Magnesium causing an imbalance. Like B5 does with the other B-vitamins while mega dosing.

Chromium and Magnesium deficiency leads to insulin resistance. And then eventually the insulin resistance leads to more testosterone and IGF1. Creating oilyness and over-production of skin cells.

Wouldn't we all benefit from Chromium and Magnesium supplementation? That would improve our insulin sensitivity and give us have a higher tolerance for sugary foods like fruit (which is the thing I probably miss the most right now in my diet).

While I don't know if braces on their own could cause a mineral imbalance, there is no doubt that a mineral imbalance can cause sugar metabolism problems, so no crazy talk there! Since fructose has been shown to bind and eliminate these important minerals from the body, I'm looking for a multi mineral supplement with magnesium, chromium, zinc, copper, etc in them that 1) isn't ridiculously expensive, 2) is in bio-available forms, and 3) is in a capsule, or a tablet that has been shown to dissolve completely within at most 1/2 hour in water. For me personally, the citrate form gives me bad symptoms, so for me it can't have citrate in it, and that's where my hang up has been so far. But as soon as I find a good brand multi mineral that meets my requirements I will be including it in the regimen.

Kind of off-topic post

I dont think the braces have to do with your acne. at all really

There are many minerals that are beneficial to include in your diet if you are lacking them, and those 2 are among the best.

If I eat real cayenne peppers or just eat a lot of spicy food instead of taking the capsules, would that still be good for digestion?

Foods like peppers and mustard are good for stimulating the digestive system, yes. And as usual, the real foods are better.

you could get the same effect from a low glycemic/low carb/high protein diet.

which seems like the healthiest diet for humans.but the taurine supplementation seems good to get things back in order.

studies have shown animals on a calorie restricted diet have very little disease even when they get to old age, this isnt exactly the same as low carb but it has alot to do with lower insulin levels over a lifetime. thats is why ive started a calorie restricted diet, low calorie and high in nutrients. just meats and veggies basically.

Yeah, when I get older I am definitely going on a calorie restricted diet, for sure. But not now... gotta keep up my 200lb muscular frame. I have been eating lower GI carbs for around a year and a 1/4... definitely much much better than higher GI foods.