Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User47728

Fructose, Insulin, And Taurine!

One role of taurine is to inhibit the over-production of skin cells. Therefore a deficiency in taurine will lead to hyperproliferation of skin cells due to the absence of it's inhibitory effects.

So... if I take a taurine supplement, would it stop the hyperproliferation completely or just to a great extent? Also, does this have anything to do with the skin cells shedding excessively/quickly?

In my case, I don't have much flakiness left, but still a little bit. It is definitely better than before though. I used to have most of the flakiness on the sides of my nose, and that is at least 90% gone. I do still have some flakiness, and in my ideal world it would all be gone, but the improvement is much appreciated. I don't know if taking higher doses of taurine would make it go away completely. Most of my flakiness at this point is related to the non inflamed acne I have left, which is just clogged pores, and closed comedones. So that's my main issue I'm trying to resolve right now, and I think when I get those under control the flakiness I have left should be gone as well. Or maybe it's the other way around, lol.

In my case, I don't have much flakiness left, but still a little bit. It is definitely better than before though. I used to have most of the flakiness on the sides of my nose, and that is at least 90% gone. I do still have some flakiness, and in my ideal world it would all be gone, but the improvement is much appreciated. I don't know if taking higher doses of taurine would make it go away completely. Most of my flakiness at this point is related to the non inflamed acne I have left, which is just clogged pores, and closed comedones. So that's my main issue I'm trying to resolve right now, and I think when I get those under control the flakiness I have left should be gone as well. Or maybe it's the other way around, lol.

I'm really curious if overproduction of skin cells has anything to do with hyper-skin-cell-shedding (lol, I forgot the term for this). This is my biggest issue. I've noticed that when I exfoliate manually really well, all the dull skin and loose cells will accumulate again in like a day. It's really annoying. As long as I exfoliate often, I'm fine. But it's such a hassle having to exfoliate all the time. After reading about the hyperproliferation here, it almost sounded like this problem, only it's creating more cells... and now I can't tell if it's the exact same problem or if they're two different things. Does that make sense?

I suppose I will just take taurine supplements and find out.

I'm also going to take a look at every product that comes into contact with my face, and compare the ingredients with an index of comedogenic substances.

I updated my flowchart once again. Any comments, complaints, or contributions are still very appreciated.

post-69137-1201472441_thumb.png

Thanks for posting that Comedogenic list.

I will look at the flowchart, if I find anything that I can contribute I'll let you know. So far it seems to be really good. Imagine try to tell someone all that in words, it would take hours.

No problem, and thanks!

About the flowchart: I've shown it to a variety of people I know in person; some of them understood it with minimal explanation, but for most people it went almost totally over their heads, at least without an explanation of each step. So, for acne.org users (especially users in this discussion), I think its a very useful and intuitive way to lay things out and see how things are interrelated. But, for a random person looking at it, I think it might need less links, and a brief explanation within each box.

I'm also going to take a look at every product that comes into contact with my face, and compare the ingredients with an index of comedogenic substances.

I updated my flowchart once again. Any comments, complaints, or contributions are still very appreciated.

I will look at the flowchart, if I find anything that I can contribute I'll let you know. So far it seems to be really good. Imagine try to tell someone all that in words, it would take hours.

No problem, and thanks!

About the flowchart: I've shown it to a variety of people I know in person; some of them understood it with minimal explanation, but for most people it went almost totally over their heads, at least without an explanation of each step. So, for acne.org users (especially users in this discussion), I think its a very useful and intuitive way to lay things out and see how things are interrelated. But, for a random person looking at it, I think it might need less links, and a brief explanation within each box.

Or maybe categorize it a little more, kind of like

Acne contributors

- sugar

- inflammation

- bacteria

- nutrient depletion

- etc

Acne treatments

- heat shock

- taurine

- minerals

- b complex

- etc

And then make a consistent flow of the chart from left to right or from the center out so reading it becomes more intuitive and natural.

Does anyone else have dry skin now? I used to have shiny, oily skin. If I blotted the skin on my forehead after lunch, the blotter was soaked. I don't anymore. I've even been using a moisturizer lately, something I've never done before.

Maybe I will be able to wear sunscreen soon without it breaking me out. :cool:

I'm probably gonna see whether taurine works for me by first drinking red bull for a couple of days.

I read there's 1000mg in one redbull, is this the same for the light version?

And light version probably contains aspartame?

Yes, sugar-free has Aspartame.

When I ran out of taurine capsules and was waiting for my taurine powder to arrive (still waiting, so I just got some yesterday at the pharmacy) I was drinking regular red bull. It has half glucose, half sucrose, so 75% glucose and 25% fructose. It worked for me, and I was doing that for a whole week, one or two cans per day. My trick was to have a carrot with each because of the fiber.

Now I mix taurine powder either with bubbly mineral water with lemon, or I chase it with strong black tea (unsweetened, of course, but sometimes with lemon). Carbonation, acid and caffeine all help taurine absorb, so that's probably why the red bull method works.

A can of red bull has 1,000 units of taurine unless you are in a country with weird regulations.

I'm confused. :eh::P . Who in the united states or 1st world countries eat cats and knows their nutritional content? What is a "Cat Based" website?

I spent a long time looking for taurine levels in food - and there are no good sites other than ones for cat nutrition (taurine is vital for cats). Thats what i mean't by cat based websites :). I just mean't that some of the things in the table where not really for human consumption - it just gives you some idea about the taurine levels in some things. Although i did go to college with some Asian guys that said "you can't eat cats - there all bones!" ;).

When I ran out of taurine capsules and was waiting for my taurine powder to arrive (still waiting, so I just got some yesterday at the pharmacy) I was drinking regular red bull. It has half glucose, half sucrose, so 75% glucose and 25% fructose. It worked for me, and I was doing that for a whole week, one or two cans per day. My trick was to have a carrot with each because of the fiber.

Now I mix taurine powder either with bubbly mineral water with lemon, or I chase it with strong black tea (unsweetened, of course, but sometimes with lemon). Carbonation, acid and caffeine all help taurine absorb, so that's probably why the red bull method works.

A can of red bull has 1,000 units of taurine unless you are in a country with weird regulations.

Where did you find out what effects Taurine absorbtion? I have powder now and was just planing to mix it with regular water. For me to be consistent it has to be easy. ;)

Where did you find out what effects Taurine absorbtion? I have powder now and was just planing to mix it with regular water. For me to be consistent it has to be easy. ;)

Here's a link LiliVG posted a while back in this thread:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publicati...Q_NO_115=193170

It shows that calcium absorbs better with carbonated water. It's only logical that taurine would, too.

On page 15 of this thread, LiliVG also mentioned that caffeine may speed up absorption of taurine.

So I put two and two together. I drink tea every morning, so I chase my taurine with that. In the evenings I dissolve it in bubbly water with lemon. I figure acid and bubbliness both help it absorb.

Hi my skin is acne free since I'm following a no carb high protein diet (+kefir and very recently kombucha), but I still have a very very oily face, my face is flaky too and I have to exfoliate almost two times per week, is anyone with a similar condition had success taking taurine?

I found the cayenne helped with flakiness, but not 100%, I'm still working on this one. I wish I had a really good solution to this one myself. It's possible it could though for some since taurine is an anti-inflammatory, and inflammation causes excess skin cell growth.

In my case, oiliness is not a problem unless I eat something allergenic, like nuts, and then my normally really dry skin will suddenly get extremely oily within a day or two.

When I was a lot younger and oiliness was a much bigger problem for me, there was a particular make up that was really good at absorbing oil, and the main ingredient was corn starch. I've tried applying just plain corn starch to my face after I wash at night during oily periods and it really seemed to help a lot.

Thanks for your answer, I eat cayenne (the powder) almost with each meals, I overdosed b5 in the past and I think it's after that that my oily/flaky skin issues happened, you said somewhere in this thread that vitamin b5 may reduce the level of taurine, so maybe I'm deficient since this time, tell me what you think, anyway I think I will give it a try.

Yeah, b-5 is direct opposing to taurine, you really can't take high levels of b-5 and expect taurine to work.

I haven't tried taking higher doses of taurine solely to try to treat flakiness...it could be an interesting experiment, worth a shot. I already have lots of taurine, I suppose I might as well while I'm waiting for my witch hazel to show up. Theoretically it should work. Ok, so I'll up my taurine from my normal 3 grams to 6 grams a day (2 grams, x 3 times a day) and see what happens. I'll be the guinea pig, lol. I may need to buy it in pure powder form instead of capsules to keep it affordable in the long run, if it works.

Here are some pictures I took today! The red dots you see on my forehead are scars. A month ago they were huge whiteheads and the biggest one was a cyst that stayed under my skin for 3 weeks and eventually turned into a whitehead. Now they are scars!

The unevenness on my cheek is also scarring. There I used to have lots of tiny whiteheads. After a month of taurine, I have no active breakouts anymore anywhere. :dance:

Supplements:

I take about 1000 mg taurine per day, first in capsules, than red bull, now I switched to powder. I mix the powder with either warm (not hot) black tea with lemon, or with carbonated water. I also take Betaine HCL with large meals or when I eat something I shouldn't. I want to try cayenne powder, but I can't find it here. Still looking. I also take half a B100 tablet per day. When the bottle is over, I'll get B50 and take half of that. Waiting for my multimineral to arrive.

Diet:

I avoid sugar and fruit juice, but eat lots of fruit - it has fiber, so there is no insulin spike. I can also eat raisins in my müsli because I also use lots of oats, and they have fiber. The rest of my diet is whole-foods-based. Lots of veggies, lots of non-farmed fish, lots of müsli. :wub:

post-68719-1201732189_thumb.jpg

post-68719-1201732966_thumb.jpg

Great, this tread is pinned now. I really think I'm beginning to see results with my regime now, and I'm sure that taurine play a big role.

Hi, I am a new user and would like to share my thoughts about taurine and also ask a few questions

A few months ago I was taking B5 and saw no results, instead I got a massive amount of skin hyperproliferation (due to B5 depleting taurine I assume). At that time I didn't know anything about taurine. Obviously the hyperproliferation caused really bad acne so I had to search the internet for another idea.

I came up with using digestive bitters. This helped a lot at first, later becoming less effective (placebo effect?)

After that I tried (and am still using) chromium picolinate. This reduced insulin resistance and helped a lot. Even though it was working I still had skin hyperproliferation, which was causing a moderate amount of acne.

The next idea was to try taurine after reading this forum. After 1 week at 3g/day (split up) I was nearly 100% clear but now after 2 weeks I have about few small pimples around my jawline on a consistent basis. The reduction in skin hyperproliferation has been amazing though. I really would, however, like to stay at 100%.

My thoughts as to why I am not at 100% are:

I read that taurine progressively detoxifies the liver, returning it to a fully working state over a period of 1-2 months.

I have been taking a B-50 complex and I read that B2 is bad for acne (I will now just take bio zinc tablets, which contain zinc, magnesium, manganese, Vitamin A and B6.

3g/day may not be enough

I have also found flaxseed oil to be useful

My daily supplementation is:

Morning

1 Bio Zinc tablet (zinc, magnesium, manganese, Vitamin A and B6)

1g Taurine

2 tiny chromium tablets

2 flaxseex oil capsules

Lunch

1g Taurine

2 tiny chromium tablets

2 flaxseed oil capsules

Dinner

1g Taurine

2 tiny chromium tablets

2 flaxseed oil capsules

Before Bed

I would like people's feedback. Do you think I am missing something in my supplementation regime?

Hi, I am a new user and would like to share my thoughts about taurine and also ask a few questions

A few months ago I was taking B5 and saw no results, instead I got a massive amount of skin hyperproliferation (due to B5 depleting taurine I assume). At that time I didn't know anything about taurine. Obviously the hyperproliferation caused really bad acne so I had to search the internet for another idea.

I came up with using digestive bitters. This helped a lot at first, later becoming less effective (placebo effect?)

After that I tried (and am still using) chromium picolinate. This reduced insulin resistance and helped a lot. Even though it was working I still had skin hyperproliferation, which was causing a moderate amount of acne.

The next idea was to try taurine after reading this forum. After 1 week at 3g/day (split up) I was nearly 100% clear but now after 2 weeks I have about few small pimples around my jawline on a consistent basis. The reduction in skin hyperproliferation has been amazing though. I really would, however, like to stay at 100%.

My thoughts as to why I am not at 100% are:

I read that taurine progressively detoxifies the liver, returning it to a fully working state over a period of 1-2 months.

I have been taking a B-50 complex and I read that B2 is bad for acne (I will now just take bio zinc tablets, which contain zinc, magnesium, manganese, Vitamin A and B6.

3g/day may not be enough

I have also found flaxseed oil to be useful

My daily supplementation is:

Morning

1g Taurine

2 tiny chromium tablets

2 flaxseex oil capsules

Lunch

1g Taurine

2 tiny chromium tablets

2 flaxseed oil capsules

Dinner

1g Taurine

2 tiny chromium tablets

2 flaxseed oil capsules

Before Bed

I would like people's feedback. Do you think I am missing something in my supplementation regime?

Sounds like a result a lot like mine with just taurine. I had to remove virtually all sugar from my diet (especially true for fructose). When i have small amounts of sugar during the day i'm ok, if i have a lot at any one time i get a few small whiteheads appearing.

Few questions

How much chromium are you taking per day?

How much sugar/fructose is in your diet?

How much water are you drinking?

Are you much drinking alcohol?

I've found that taurine over 4g a day doesn't really do much extra for me - but of course that could be different for everyone depending on their diet.

I receive about 300mcg of elemental chromium from the tablets per day

I do consume quite a but of sugar from biscuits but I don't drink soft drinks at all.

My diet is pretty much fruit for breakfast and lunch, anything for dinner and biscuits for snacks.

I drink about 2 drinkbottles of water per day and a few glasses of vegetable juice

I definitely think I consume too much sugar and I have tried avoiding sugar in the past but it has been extremely difficult for me. I have found that the restriction makes life seem very hard and eventually my willpower breaks.

I never drink alcohol

I know for sure that I have problems with my liver/metabolism/blood sugar levels/free radicals, etc because when I did a colon cleanse that involved a 10 day liquids only fast I was 100% clear

Yeah, b-5 is direct opposing to taurine, you really can't take high levels of b-5 and expect taurine to work.

I haven't tried taking higher doses of taurine solely to try to treat flakiness...it could be an interesting experiment, worth a shot. I already have lots of taurine, I suppose I might as well while I'm waiting for my witch hazel to show up. Theoretically it should work. Ok, so I'll up my taurine from my normal 3 grams to 6 grams a day (2 grams, x 3 times a day) and see what happens. I'll be the guinea pig, lol. I may need to buy it in pure powder form instead of capsules to keep it affordable in the long run, if it works.

Please be prudent, taurine may be one part of the solution (for deficient people) , but overdose it may lead to dangerous or at least unexpected reactions as the discover of this amino acid is very recent, I ordered mine on ebay, I live in france but even with the $15 of shipping I think it's not too expensive, here is the link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s_promot_widget

Please be prudent, taurine may be one part of the solution (for deficient people) , but overdose it may lead to dangerous or at least unexpected reactions as the discover of this amino acid is very recent, I ordered mine on ebay, I live in france but even with the $15 of shipping I think it's not too expensive, here is the link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s_promot_widget

Actually taurine has no upper toxicity limit, scientists were unable to establish an LD50 in rats for taurine, and that's really something, because when scientists try to give an overdose, they really overdose those rats! And they *couldn't*. In the experiment on rats that improved insulin resistance, they gave the rats 200mg/kg of bodyweight. In a person my size, that works out to about 10 grams a day, and in that experiment, they were not trying to overdose the rats, so I can only imagine how much taurine they were giving the rats in their attempt to overdose them! lol. Some bodybuilders use as much as 20 grams a day in their routines, and I haven't seen any references to side effects from that amount other than a bit of fatigue, thirst, and a possible laxative effect.

my face still remains 100 % clear. taurine is the best ever. i dont even take O3 anymore. last week i had a slice of cake and pizza without a single break-out, and i eat two blocks of 85 % dark chocolate every day. wholegrains, coffee and dairy are also not a problem for me anymore. my only problem is pre-menstrual whiteheads around my mouth and nose. this month i will try pushing my taurine up to 5 grams a week prior to my period and see what happens.

i dont even visit this board as often as i used to, going from once a day to maybe once a week. i dont need to obsess about my skin anymore. :clap:

my face still remains 100 % clear. taurine is the best ever. i dont even take O3 anymore. last week i had a slice of cake and pizza without a single break-out, and i eat two blocks of 85 % dark chocolate every day. wholegrains, coffee and dairy are also not a problem for me anymore. my only problem is pre-menstrual whiteheads around my mouth and nose. this month i will try pushing my taurine up to 5 grams a week prior to my period and see what happens.

i dont even visit this board as often as i used to, going from once a day to maybe once a week. i dont need to obsess about my skin anymore. :clap:

That's awesome! :D How much taurine per day do you usually take?

1 gram with my oats in the morning and 1 gram at night with my dinner. i did take 3 g per day for a while, but 2 g is fine for me when i am not premenstrual. i can't believe that it works this well? i've been on roaccutane for like 15 times, and it always came back after a month of stopping. skin diabetes???

1 gram with my oats in the morning and 1 gram at night with my dinner. i did take 3 g per day for a while, but 2 g is fine for me when i am not premenstrual. i can't believe that it works this well? i've been on roaccutane for like 15 times, and it always came back after a month of stopping. skin diabetes???

Oh, I see, so you meant 5 grams per day premenstrually.

Yeah, acne has been described as skin diabetes, that's why it made so much sense to me about the effects the red bull was having when I started reading about the effects taurine has on insulin resistance. It just clicked, ya know?

I'm also learning more about b-6, it also seems to have some benefits on it's own as well, like effecting sugar metabolism, and being indirectly anti-androgenic. I think that's why the b complex is so helpful as well.

No problem, and thanks!

Acne contributors

- sugar

- inflammation

- bacteria

- nutrient depletion

- etc

Acne treatments

- heat shock

- taurine

- minerals

- b complex

- etc

And then make a consistent flow of the chart from left to right or from the center out so reading it becomes more intuitive and natural.

I think it will be hard to make the flowchart look simple. Acne is really complicted!

Anyways I think the flowchart should be on the first post in this thread.

No problem, and thanks!

Acne contributors

- sugar

- inflammation

- bacteria

- nutrient depletion

- etc

Acne treatments

- heat shock

- taurine

- minerals

- b complex

- etc

I think it will be hard to make the flowchart look simple. Acne is really complicated!

Anyways I think the flowchart should be on the first post in this thread.

You can start a thread on that flow chart and that way you will be able to update it as ideas come to you, and I can link to your Flow Chart thread in the first post :) That way you have more control over your flow chart being up to date. Otherwise you'd have to send me a new flow chart when you made improvements and then wait for me to be logged on to update the attachment and that would just complicate things more than necessary. But I'd be happy to link to your flow chart thread on the first post :)