Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys,

Has anyone suffered swollen lips as a result of accutane?

I've on my 8th week of accutane. First 4 weeks on 20mg per day, then tried 1 week (week 5) on 30mg but my lips got swollen, so had to reduce dosage to 20 mg which brought the lips back to normal. To complicated things, I suspect I was a bit allergic to the Neutrogena lipbalm cos when I changed to Nivea, it reduced the swollen-ness. For week 6 and 7 I was on 20mg, and now for week 8 i've been on 30mg again. The swelling is definely lesser than when I was on 30mg in week 5 but there is still swelling nonetheless.

Anyone else had this swollen lips thingy? My lips are thick to begin with so the added swelling shows. I'm supposed to start 40mg in a few days' time so am worried it might swell even more.

thanks guys!

yes, my lips swollen a little bit, but looks very cute though....not like super swollen, I guess girls have different perspective...haha..

Guest AcneProne_1977

Me too... lips are a bit swollen and red, but it's sexy on me!! :)

Starting off my first month my lips were horrible especially my bottom one. But I attribute that to me picking at it and using a shitty lip ointment that wasnt really a moisturizer. After switching to an actual chap stick, they started healing immediately and now they perfect aslong as I keep my chapstick with me 24/7 which i got in a habit of very very quickly lol.

Maintnance is the most important thing on accutane.

thanks for the replies guys!

any good brands of chapstick to recommend? I'm using Nivea Repair and Protect and it's the best for me so far. I was surprised that Neutrogena made my lips worse, but it did. I suspect that the more greasy chapsticks somehow exacerbated my lips. Less oily ones like Nivea were better. Wonder why??

And I'm a guy with originally full thick lips (think angelina jolie) so getting even thicker lips ain't really that sexy! Some of my closer friends tease me by saying i have "sausage lips"! haha

:snooty:

Guest AcneProne_1977
thanks for the replies guys!

any good brands of chapstick to recommend? I'm using Nivea Repair and Protect and it's the best for me so far. I was surprised that Neutrogena made my lips worse, but it did. I suspect that the more greasy chapsticks somehow exacerbated my lips. Less oily ones like Nivea were better. Wonder why??

And I'm a guy with originally full thick lips (think angelina jolie) so getting even thicker lips ain't really that sexy! Some of my closer friends tease me by saying i have "sausage lips"! haha

:snooty:

LOL @ "sausage lips"!! You could be called a lot worse things, they're being easy on you. :P

If you're looking for something without shine, any Chapstick will help. But if you want the best relief and comfort, Aquaphor is amazing!! I couldn't live without it, to be honest. :) It makes your lips a tad shiny, but it just looks like Vaseline. Try it!!!

I find that I have to apply Chapstick way too much and it gets annoying, whereas Aquaphor stays put for a while. HTH!

My absolute savior has been the Medicated Blistex. It heals SO fast. I ran out this week and have already been going through withdrawls :(