Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
feeling unpretty

acne.. hormones? birth control pills?

my redmarks were more inflamed than usual today. i don't understand why. i had a few drinks (cocktails) last night.. maybe that was a contributing factor. it was also very cold out today.. maybe a reason? i hate being 30 and having to figure out my face. :snooty::think::wall:

it is very very cold (freezing cold) where i live. as a result, my redmarks have been a nightmare.

what's the point of being 'acne-free' if your entire face is red with dots anyway? i am very depressed about the way this looks.

and then there's the cyst on my left cheek that is just sitting there.. not responding to any spot treatment.. not drawing to a head.. nothing. sitting there. it's great.

well my skin is looking good. (today)

i am more convinced than ever that my skin problem was (is) a hormonal issue. i'm going to be switching birth control pills from yasmin to orthotricyclen soon.. hopefully that won't cause too much of a ripple.

i've started taking my fiber pills at night before bed only (about 6). they make me feel a bit bloated, so i would rather feel bloated during the night while i am asleep.

i've been using the oxy about once a day now. twice a day is just too severe on my skin.

i am still using PROACTIV's toner. i am pleased with it's gentleness.. surprised i never really gave it much thought before.

so my current reg:

morning-

oxy soap

oxy chill factor

3-4 psyllium fiber caps

night-

oxy soap

oxy chill factor

YASMIN birth control pill

as needed-

tea tree oil and/or neosporin for small skin wounds

daily diet-

a variety of vitamins (c, e, garlic, flax seed oil, acidophilus, etc).

increased water intake

increased fruit, veggie intake when poss

no chips, chocolate, soda or energy drinks (at least until my skin gets a grip)

limited cheese and dairy (ugh, hate restricting diet)

avoid fried or greasy foods at all costs

no meat (only because i'm veggie anyway)

so my current reg:

morning-

oxy soap

oxy chill factor

3-4 psyllium fiber caps

night-

oxy soap

oxy chill factor

YASMIN birth control pill

as needed-

tea tree oil and/or neosporin for small skin wounds

daily diet-

increased water intake

no chips, chocolate, soda or energy drinks (at least until my skin gets a grip)

limited cheese and dairy (ugh, hate restricting diet)

avoid fried or greasy foods at all costs

Does birth control pills help? and how is your diet with being a veggie? I've wanted to try being one to save animals, but I needed some help trying to start.

I have also had similiar hormonal problems. Im using yasmin along with aldactone(spiro) and it seems to be helping. Apparently the two of them together are supposed to correct a hormonal imabalance(according to my GP.

i have not updated in awhile..

well my skin is clear. :clap:

honestly my skin is looking great. :dance:

folks, there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

to think just a few months ago my skin was such a mess. now it is clear again.

i still have redmarks, but they are fading and have not been inflamed for a few weeks at least.

i am using the oxy only once a day.. i am taking less fiber capsules (they make me feel bloated).. i am still using the PROACTIV toner on a daily basis. i have not used ACV in a couple weeks. still taking all my vitamins.

one thing i am nervous about- i am switching birth control pills in a week. from yasmin to orthotricyclen. i hope this doesn't completely upset everything. my skin, my moods, etc.. will keep you posted.

I'm seriously thinking that women with hormonal acne become clear when taking oral contraceptives. But then if women with hormal acne go off the pills, the acne comes back even worse than before taking the pills. Because going off the pills throws off the hormones and adrenal glands(oil producing glands). Our bodies' androgens act up and adrenal glands secrete more oil. That's my thinking. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for a year and a half. My skin looked wonderful. Facial skin was very thin at that time, not much thickness/oiliness plus no androgen to cause what I call "internal dirt" to surface and clog up pores from the inside. I only had to take care of external dirt/oils/cosmetics etc. My skin could handle even comedogenic products better even though I did use more non-comedogenic products and washed my face twice/day. I recommend those with oily & acne skin to seek after non-comedogenic products. You can't always trust the companies...you kind of have to be a detective when searching out the ingredients. I found that Cetaphil has some comedogenic ingredients even though they claim non-comedogenic. This webpage helped me with that a lot http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist Of course those with sensitive skin should focus more on products that are non-irritating.

Now, after four months off the Ortho, my face is a mess. Puss-filled, cystic acne along my jawline and a bunch of little zits everywhere combining to for bigger ones. It's really painful to even touch. I never had it this bad before, even before I took the Ortho. I used to just get zits on my chin or side forehead. I thought like you, wanted to try to just eat more healthy and get rid of synthetic drugs. My periods aren't regular either, that's how I know my hormones are messed up. Maybe it would have been better if I never went on the pill in the first place but then again, I had hormonal acne before which would not go away and constanted gave me scars and were unsightly. Plus my period was irregular then as well.

I'm back on Ortho Tri-Cyclen to take care of the oil production and androgens. Plus on Bactrim to help kill off the existing bacteria on my face. I need all the extra help I can get until the birth control kicks in. After all of this, I'll probably have to face scars or redmarks. Ughhh. Going off the pill was just a bad idea. Maybe some of us just can't be off birth control pills and have terrible acne during pregnancy. Who knows.

Oh yeah, I'm happy that you're clear now after two months on Yasmin. Gives me hope that Ortho will work for me again too. :)

Changing birth control pills too often might not be a good idea. I just read a whole bunch of horrible things about women changing birth control pills. It could throw off your hormones again for months or longterm. Not sure. The pills lower than 30 mcgm of estrogen are not very effective with acne. I know from experience. Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo made my acne worst. To help with acne you need a higher dose of estrogen along with a lower androgen potency. I know Ortho (regular) works...it has 35 mcgm and Yasmin works because it has 30 mcgm. There are others. Stay away from ones that are 50 mcgm or more. Those can be really harmful. Here's a great website about oral contraceptives http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

I'm seriously thinking that women with hormonal acne become clear when taking oral contraceptives. But then if women with hormal acne go off the pills, the acne comes back even worse than before taking the pills. Because going off the pills throws off the hormones and adrenal glands(oil producing glands). Our bodies' androgens act up and adrenal glands secrete more oil. That's my thinking. I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for a year and a half. My skin looked wonderful. Facial skin was very thin at that time, not much thickness/oiliness plus no androgen to cause what I call "internal dirt" to surface and clog up pores from the inside. I only had to take care of external dirt/oils/cosmetics etc. My skin could handle even comedogenic products better even though I did use more non-comedogenic products and washed my face twice/day. I recommend those with oily & acne skin to seek after non-comedogenic products. You can't always trust the companies...you kind of have to be a detective when searching out the ingredients. I found that Cetaphil has some comedogenic ingredients even though they claim non-comedogenic. This webpage helped me with that a lot http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist Of course those with sensitive skin should focus more on products that are non-irritating.

Now, after four months off the Ortho, my face is a mess. Puss-filled, cystic acne along my jawline and a bunch of little zits everywhere combining to for bigger ones. It's really painful to even touch. I never had it this bad before, even before I took the Ortho. I used to just get zits on my chin or side forehead. I thought like you, wanted to try to just eat more healthy and get rid of synthetic drugs. My periods aren't regular either, that's how I know my hormones are messed up. Maybe it would have been better if I never went on the pill in the first place but then again, I had hormonal acne before which would not go away and constanted gave me scars and were unsightly. Plus my period was irregular then as well.

I'm back on Ortho Tri-Cyclen to take care of the oil production and androgens. Plus on Bactrim to help kill off the existing bacteria on my face. I need all the extra help I can get until the birth control kicks in. After all of this, I'll probably have to face scars or redmarks. Ughhh. Going off the pill was just a bad idea. Maybe some of us just can't be off birth control pills and have terrible acne during pregnancy. Who knows.

so my current reg:

morning-

few splashes of water and

PROACTIV toner

night-

oxy soap

oxy chill factor

ortho-tricyclen birth control pill

sometimes 3-4 fiber pills

daily diet-

increased water intake

limited chips, chocolate, soda, etc..

try to avoid fried or greasy foods

my skin is completely acne free and looks great. :dance: what i eat or drink makes absolutely no difference. how often or what i use to wash my face does not seem to make much of a difference. the stress is gone. my acne was indeed 100% hormonal. now that i am on ortho tricyclen my skin looks and feels radiant again. i thought my skin experienced good improvement during the four months i was on yasmin, but not even close to what ortho tricyclen has done. my red marks are fading and i'm not ashamed to go without my makeup.

hormones are my problem. i now know the insane stress of acne and hope that the rest of you can narrow down your personal skin blemish culprits.. and cures! i know the frustration!!

my skin is completely acne free and looks great. :dance: what i eat or drink makes absolutely no difference. how often or what i use to wash my face does not seem to make much of a difference. the stress is gone. my acne was indeed 100% hormonal. now that i am on ortho tricyclen my skin looks and feels radiant again. i thought my skin experienced good improvement during the four months i was on yasmin, but not even close to what ortho tricyclen has done. my red marks are fading and i'm not ashamed to go without my makeup.

hormones are my problem. i now know the insane stress of acne and hope that the rest of you can narrow down your personal skin blemish culprits.. and cures! i know the frustration!!

well i may have spoken too soon. my skin does not look so 'radiant' today. i have two blemishes, one down by the right side of my chin, by jawline.. the other just to the left of my nose. i can't figure out what's going on. i wonder if it is a coincidence that this happens to be the week i am on my blank/placebo orthotricyclen pills. my hormones freak when left to their own devices. i hate skin.

This sounds so similar to me...

I began getting acne around age 15-16. Nothing serious though. Went on mino for a while, then was put on Dianette at 21 yrs when my skin started to get worse. (Why does that happen? Thought I was supposed to be getting clear when I got out of my teens!)

I stayed on Dianette from 21 yrs to 25 yrs and my skin was perfect. Went off bcp for a while and started breaking out a little. Then was put on Roaccutane and Yasmin. (I was sure Roacc would be the end of it all for me and that I'd never have to go back on the bcp again!) That was 3 yrs ago. I had the loveliest skin ever (or at least I thought so!!) and couldnt believe how nice it was to have clear skin.

Then I got married a couple of yrs ago, and came off the Yasmin. Within 6 months, I was starting to break out again. My skin was worse than it had ever been - definitely worse than it had been before I started bcp all those yrs ago.

I battled on without the pill, using topical bp instead, because we wanted to try for a baby. I got pregnant, and I can honestly say that my skin was so so so bad. I had never experienced anything like it. The first trimester was the worst - cysts, pustules all over my face. It was just so awful and really really demoralising.

When I had my baby, my skin changed dramatically withing days - completely cleared for about 6 weeks. Then gradually I started getting pimples again, but nothing like either (a) during pregnancy or (b) after I came off the bcp.

So my prob is definitely hormonal. I wouldnt want to go back on the pill because I think it causes worse breakouts afterwards. I guess its a tradeoff - you get months/years of lovely skin but there is always the looming cloud of bad breakouts ahead when you come off it.

I'm gonna try topicals for now and dietary changes. I know my prob is hormonal but I'm reluctant to mess with those damn hormones again.

Damn skin :)

This sounds so similar to me...

I began getting acne around age 15-16. Nothing serious though. Went on mino for a while, then was put on Dianette at 21 yrs when my skin started to get worse. (Why does that happen? Thought I was supposed to be getting clear when I got out of my teens!)

I stayed on Dianette from 21 yrs to 25 yrs and my skin was perfect. Went off bcp for a while and started breaking out a little. Then was put on Roaccutane and Yasmin. (I was sure Roacc would be the end of it all for me and that I'd never have to go back on the bcp again!) That was 3 yrs ago. I had the loveliest skin ever (or at least I thought so!!) and couldnt believe how nice it was to have clear skin.

Then I got married a couple of yrs ago, and came off the Yasmin. Within 6 months, I was starting to break out again. My skin was worse than it had ever been - definitely worse than it had been before I started bcp all those yrs ago.

I battled on without the pill, using topical bp instead, because we wanted to try for a baby. I got pregnant, and I can honestly say that my skin was so so so bad. I had never experienced anything like it. The first trimester was the worst - cysts, pustules all over my face. It was just so awful and really really demoralising.

When I had my baby, my skin changed dramatically withing days - completely cleared for about 6 weeks. Then gradually I started getting pimples again, but nothing like either (a) during pregnancy or (b) after I came off the bcp.

So my prob is definitely hormonal. I wouldnt want to go back on the pill because I think it causes worse breakouts afterwards. I guess its a tradeoff - you get months/years of lovely skin but there is always the looming cloud of bad breakouts ahead when you come off it.

I'm gonna try topicals for now and dietary changes. I know my prob is hormonal but I'm reluctant to mess with those damn hormones again.

Damn skin :)

well my skin is not looking so great. :wall: not a total disaster, but little blemishes on the right side of my face. let's not forget about the THING that just healed from the end of my nose. oh i love looking like rudolph, it's fun.

ortho tricyclen.. i am on my second pack. is it helping? well, at first i thought it was. the first month my skin looked radiant. now that the second month has rolled around.. not so much. i fear that my acne may come back in full swing.. in which case i will freak. :xxx:

ortho tricyclen has also been causing me EXTREME nausea. to the point that a couple of days ago i was convinced.. -CONVINCED- the pill had failed and that i was pregnant, with full-on morning sickness. i even went out and bought a pregnancy test. negative, thank goodness. but this nausea is ridiculous.

i was on yasmin for four months prior to this. yasmin cleared up my skin.. but the downfall was (not to be gross, but..) yeast infections. i had never gotten so many yeast infections in my life. what a pain birth control is.

i would encourage all of you to stick it out and get off of birth control for good!

i got off about a year ago, and my skin didnt start breaking out until 4 months ago; when my body was regulated.

it sucked. i felt really down.

but i went to the dermatologist and was perscribed solodyn and topical medicine.

its taken about 5 weeks to see a difference...but i am so happy that i wont have to be on hormones again!

hormones are scary.

i would advise against it and just discover your inner beauty for a couple of months.

you dont want to be on birth control forever.

fuck...hormones

haha

seriously

I had a similar experience, gorgeous skin until I came off the pill at age 22 (it will giving me icky broken capillaries, tummy pains, headaches etc) after being on it for 5 years (diane-35 [aka dianette] followed by yasmin.

Within a couple of months of coming off it I developed moderate adult acne

I'm not sure if the hormonal problem was already there and the pill was just masking it or if those hormones messed with my body in some way.

Its very hard to tell as Estrogen signaling pathways are very poorly understood

Good luck with your battle against acne :)

i appreciate the input and encouragement to 'get off the pill'..

and i do NOT want to be stuck on birth control pills forever..

however, i just don't have it in me right now to deal with the anguish of a huge acne problem.. i can't do it.. i was so severely depressed five months ago when my acne issue reached an all-time high.. i was seriously, seriously depressed.

now, even though my 'fix' may be a temporary one, i at least have some sense of confidence and sanity back. not to mention less facial scarring.

i am also grateful that i have discovered my acne 'cure'/ suppressor.. i know that many on this forum are going through the terrible trial-and-error game.

my skin is still not perfect and is up to strange things.. but 95% better than it was five-six months ago.

i don't know what is up. i have two zits on my neck, one on my chest, three on my back. what the?

my face looks good though.

ortho tricyclen is STILL a nightmare with the nausea. the nurse said that if the nausea has not subsided by now, it probably won't, and suggested a change in pill. i opted out of changing (for now). i am sick of changing birth control pills.. i am sick of birth control pills all together! if it's not nausea, it will be something else.

but while in that frame of mind.. what other birth control pills are suggested for acne problems??

up until a day ago, my skin has been working well with the ortho tri-cyclen.. all of a sudden, bam! a breakout of 4 between my chin and my right cheek. weird. what is up! i hate it.

the side-effect of nausea has finally gone away. thank goodness.

what is going to happen when i want children? -which i have been thinking about often. is my face going to be a hormonal nightmare?

anyway, i am taking my vitamins and drinking lots of water.

time for an update. it is now june. i am still on ortho-tricyclen, with no immediate plans to stop taking it. my face is a bit messy right now, i am at the end of my blank/placebo/period week, so no pills. my zits now are thankfully not the deep cystic type, but annoying none the less.