Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shelby37

Is there another good treatment beisdes accutane?

Hello

I am new to the board and here looking for help and advice for my son who is 14. He is currently on accutane, has severe acne and I want to help him so bad. I cry when I am alone and think about it because I just dont know what else to do for him. He is a freshman at school and kids are giving him a hard time. I went thru this a kid and know how awful it is and hate for him to feel that way. Is there any kind of lazer treatment (we have done antibiotics, creams, tetin A, now accutane) that helps with preventing and healing acne. I live in Florida, Daytona Beach area but would drive anywhere in the state to get him help. Orlando is the closest big city by us. Any advice I would appreciate, parenting advice also!

Thank you

There is a laser treatment board further down the forum but I think thats mainly for scars.

You say you went through the same thing, if you dont mind me asking, did you grow out of it and if so around what age? It must be pretty severe to be prescribed accutane at 14 so I realise how upset you must be, I really hope you find something to help.

You CANNOT do any laser, chemical peel, or other treatments in general while he is on Accutane! You also must wait one year after stopping Accutane to do laser or chemical procedures. Shocked that the dermatologist did not warn you about this!!

The skin is just too sensitive. There was a girl on here who had her eyebrows waxed on Accutane and the skin came off with the hair. It was nasty, she posted pictures.

Give it time. In the appropriate doses Accutane works miracles. It really dose (pun intended!). It is a wonder drug which should be the first line defense in treating acne (as opposed to antibiotics).

If he finishes his six month course of Accutane he has a great chance of going into acne remission for months to years. Hopefully you got him into treatment before he started to scar.

The real challenge of Accutane is appropriate dosing, keeping a watchful eye for side effects, moisturizing and skin care, and patience.

One thing I advise since it is winter and Accutane stops oil production, is for you to get him a warm air humidifier for his room. The furnace pumps dry heat throughout your home which robs the moisture from the air. Indoor humidity drops to zero in most homes in winter. This is literally drier than the Sahara. It's enough to make normal people's skin crack, think what it will do to someone on Accutane!

Also make sure he is moisturizing at least twice a day with a good moisturizer. Personally I use Cetaphil cream (not lotion) from Walmart. Comes in a jar for ten bucks. Or you can do the Equate version of it which is half price and just as good.

Limit his time in the bath to five minutes so the skin doesn't dry out and get robbed of what little oil it has. Accutane reduces the entire skin oil production, not just on the face. I got a terrible Accutane induced eczema rash on different parts of my body from overly dry and irritated skin!

He must also stop using really hot water in the bath. Hot water robs the oil from skin. He can't even wash his hands under hot running water. In fact he should practice infrequent hand washing, and only washing the tips of fingers instead of entire hand.

Accutane in winter is no joke. The skin on the palms of my hands started peeling when I was on Accutane in winter. I got open oozing sores and terrible eczema. All this can be easily avoided if you baby your skin.

Another trick I learned is to use pure mineral oil. The J&J stuff has irritating fragrances, buy pure industrial mineral oil by the case online. I used that instead of soap to wash in the tub--just like the ancient romans who used oil instead of soap!

It cleanses the skin while at the same time moisturizing and protecting it. And you don't have to spend time moisturizing when you get out of the bath! Just have a rotation of old bathrobes and towels that you use to dry off, since the oily laundry can be a problem. It also makes the bath slippery, so if he doesn't have his own tub then you have to coordinate a way around that.

Seriously, the mineral oil works better than any medical moisturizing prescription I got or commercial moisturizer I spent crazy $$ on. You can buy an entire case of bottles from Ace Hardware online for $25-30. So it's also very cheap.

Buy Purex Hypoallergenic clothes detergent from Walmart. It has no fragrances or irritating ingredients. Will not cause rash. Also stay away from bleaching his sheets or clothes. That is a notorious trigger for Accutane rash.

Also make sure he is not picking. The skin is super sensitive on Accutane. He can easily scar himself. Once the year post treatment goes by there are wonderful new lasers like Fraxel ( http://www.fraxel.com ) which can treat any skin irregularities or scarring he's had from the acne.

As for the kids making fun of him. Can he go to an alternative school or home school for the next six months while on Accutane? It may well be worth it to save him from the emotional abuse he will experience.

Another thing you must do is eliminate cow milk and dairy from his diet. Or at least try it for a period of time. You will see his acne go away. It's been three months since I stopped dairy and I have had NO ACNE since. NOT ONE PIMPLE. And I am someone who still had a small acne problem even after Accutane!

Cow milk sold in the US is illegal in every other country! We give cows horrible hormones, antibiotics, and foodstuffs. All which a nursing mother would be jailed for passing on to her baby in breast milk. But it's perfectly fine for us to drink it in cow milk?

Join http://www.netflix.com and rent some of the documentaries on cow milk. You will see why it is illegal in other countries. And the tremendous pressure dairy farmers and corporations use to suppress legislation and press against outlawing it in the USA.

Personally I was still very skeptical until I experimented myself. I was amazed to realize that milk was not only causing my active acne but also contributing to blackheads on my nose. I'm telling you, at least try a month or two of using soy milk and products. You will see a difference!

Cow milk sold in the US is illegal in every other country! We give cows horrible hormones, antibiotics, and foodstuffs. All which a nursing mother would be jailed for passing on to her baby in breast milk. But it's perfectly fine for us to drink it in cow milk?

Join http://www.netflix.com and rent some of the documentaries on cow milk. You will see why it is illegal in other countries. And the tremendous pressure dairy farmers and corporations use to suppress legislation and press against outlawing it in the USA.

Wow nice experiment with ZERO control group.

I'm not gonna lie, I drink alot of milk, but it is impossible for hormones or antibiotics to not be broken down by the liver.

Anyways, where did you get the 1 year info on accutane before laser treatments? Also what is the needed time before surgeries (skin and non skin related)

Thanks!

Hey Shelby-

Thank you for taking such an interest in your son's dilema. So many parents just write acne off as a "right of passage"

I have never used accutane- but those who do all LOVE it. So, be optimistic that it will help! :)

I have, however, completely cut out dairy. I have been truely AMAZED at how much it has helped. About a week ago I used regular milk, for the first time in 5 weeks, for a bowl of cereral. In less than 2 hours I had my first cyst in weeks forming. :redface:

... I recommend Silk Vanilla Light soymilk.... its awesome!

Hope this helps. Tell your son to hang in there! :)