Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noellesmama

Photodynamic Therapy & Levulan - all 3 treatments done

36 days after treatment 1, 22 days after treatment 2...

My skin is finally starting to look great now. It's been over a week since I've had any breakouts and now the only blemishes on my skin are the left over hyperpigmentation marks from the previous outbreaks. My skin is much smoother and less oily. The texture of my skin is more refined. I'm so pleased with the results now. I go in for treatment number 3 in 6 days. I'll continue my update then. Photo below was taken this morning with no makeup.

http://http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/...ayslaterkx9.jpg

Final Treatment - all done now - and did this one smart :wacko:

I had my third and final treatment on Monday afternoon. The levulan was on my skin for 1.5 hrs and the blue light was on for 12 minutes. My face was so hot and uncomfortable by the last minute of the blue light. My face was definitely the reddest its ever been after one of these treatments. The skin under my eyes did scab over this time - not too pretty. I had to put ice packs on my face for an hour before bed to help bring down some of the heat and swelling. Again, it was very uncomfortable but not painful. I'm looking forward to the next few days as all my skin flakes off and I have soft, pink skin underneath. My skin has made dramatic improvements in the past 6 weeks and I'm thrilled with the progress. See photos below for the nasty before and after photos (yes, my face was really that red).

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1999/af...eatment3lh0.jpg

I had my third and final treatment on Monday afternoon. The levulan was on my skin for 1.5 hrs and the blue light was on for 12 minutes. My face was so hot and uncomfortable by the last minute of the blue light. My face was definitely the reddest its ever been after one of these treatments. The skin under my eyes did scab over this time - not too pretty. I had to put ice packs on my face for an hour before bed to help bring down some of the heat and swelling. Again, it was very uncomfortable but not painful. I'm looking forward to the next few days as all my skin flakes off and I have soft, pink skin underneath. My skin has made dramatic improvements in the past 6 weeks and I'm thrilled with the progress. See photos below for the nasty before and after photos (yes, my face was really that red).

Really good to hear you are doing well. Can't wait to hear your final results. -Dan

6 days after treatment 3...

This treatment definitely hit me the hardest and my face is still recovering. My skin is SO dry and it scabbed over under my eyes and across the bridge of my nose. My skin is flaking off like crazy and it's still kind of scabby in the places I just mentioned. It's also creping under my eyes too. The clinic recommended using the glycolic acid (20%) pads to help speed up the sloughing off of the dead skin. I've done it a couple of times and I think its helped too. Over all my skin is looking really good, just flaky and left over hyperpigmentation marks from previous outbreaks. I'll add more photos in a few days once I'm done shedding.

This treatment definitely hit me the hardest and my face is still recovering. My skin is SO dry and it scabbed over under my eyes and across the bridge of my nose. My skin is flaking off like crazy and it's still kind of scabby in the places I just mentioned. It's also creping under my eyes too. The clinic recommended using the glycolic acid (20%) pads to help speed up the sloughing off of the dead skin. I've done it a couple of times and I think its helped too. Over all my skin is looking really good, just flaky and left over hyperpigmentation marks from previous outbreaks. I'll add more photos in a few days once I'm done shedding.

2+ weeks after treatment 3...

I just wanted to keep following up with this. My face is finally past the flaky dry stage and is finally soft and smooth. As you can see from the photos below there's been quite an improvement since the beginning of this process. My skin is sooooooo much better. I've only had 2 pimples since this last treatment and they came and went quickly. Now I just have to try and get rid of all the scars. Luckily they are hyperpigmentation scars and not pitted scars. I've started using Mama Lotion for the scars and have already noticed a difference. I'll let you all know how that goes too. Again, remember, I'm not wearing any makeup in any of these photos.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7051/2w...ertreat3hd1.jpg

Really great news. I hope your posts will help others make the choice to try this before accutane. My daughter's acne was much worse than your initial picture, and she was significantly cleared for a long time. Best of luck as time goes on. -Dan

I just wanted to keep following up with this. My face is finally past the flaky dry stage and is finally soft and smooth. As you can see from the photos below there's been quite an improvement since the beginning of this process. My skin is sooooooo much better. I've only had 2 pimples since this last treatment and they came and went quickly. Now I just have to try and get rid of all the scars. Luckily they are hyperpigmentation scars and not pitted scars. I've started using Mama Lotion for the scars and have already noticed a difference. I'll let you all know how that goes too. Again, remember, I'm not wearing any makeup in any of these photos.

Really great news. I hope your posts will help others make the choice to try this before accutane. My daughter's acne was much worse than your initial picture, and she was significantly cleared for a long time. Best of luck as time goes on. -Dan

Hi noellesmama...

Please post comments of results after treatment 3. Your acne improved?

Regards,

Pablo

3+ weeks after treatment 3...

Just to keep up to date... my skin is becoming more beautiful by the day. I couldn't be happier with how nice it looks now. It's so smooth and soft and I haven't had any new pimples. I went to the doctor and he wrote me a prescription for Retisol-A (tretinoin) to help speed up the healing from the old acne scars. I really like how nice and smooth it makes my skin feel. It's drying but that's to be expected. I also wanted to mention as a side note that my fine wrinkles and mild melasma on the edges of my lips has almost disappeared. They told me at the clinic that another benefit of the PDT treatment is that it help with wrinkles. I'm 35 and wrinkles are just starting to become a concern so its nice to see I'm getting help with this too. Overall, I'm one happy camper.

So glad this worked out for you. Hope others will benefit as well. Best regards, Dan

Just to keep up to date... my skin is becoming more beautiful by the day. I couldn't be happier with how nice it looks now. It's so smooth and soft and I haven't had any new pimples. I went to the doctor and he wrote me a prescription for Retisol-A (tretinoin) to help speed up the healing from the old acne scars. I really like how nice and smooth it makes my skin feel. It's drying but that's to be expected. I also wanted to mention as a side note that my fine wrinkles and mild melasma on the edges of my lips has almost disappeared. They told me at the clinic that another benefit of the PDT treatment is that it help with wrinkles. I'm 35 and wrinkles are just starting to become a concern so its nice to see I'm getting help with this too. Overall, I'm one happy camper.

So glad this worked out for you. Hope others will benefit as well. Best regards, Dan

Hi,

I was also interested in PDT after no success with antibiotics, BCPs and accutane. I'm also from BC, could you let me know what doctor/clinic you received the treatment from.

Thanks

Is anyone here on prescription medications in between PDT treatments? I'm on three-duac, differin, doxycycline but I stop them three days before each treatment. I'm hoping the combination of everything will help but I've only had one treatment (out of 4) so I can't be sure yet

I wanted to follow-up and say how things are going now a few months after my last treatments. I'm so pleased with the results of my PDT therapy. Since my last treatment my skin has continued to stay clear. Now the only blemishes I get are once a month and it's usually only 1 pimple - I can handle that. I don't really use any creams or gels to prevent acne at this point other than spot treatment once a month. I've stopped using the mama lotion as I found it too harsh on my skin - it instantly makes my skin peel. I still use my aspirin masks though, they're great.

Oh, I should mention that I still have the left over red-mark scars. They have faded but I wish they'd go faster. My doctor gave me retin-A but it makes me still peel too. I think I'll just have to wait it out.

Good luck to the rest of you... I hope you find success with your skin.