Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eboni

I'm at a Loss - What do I do?

I honestly don't know acne terminology. I don't know the difference between a cyst or a nodule or a papule. There are certain requirements that I'm not sure I meet but if this isn't considered severe acne then my grandmother is a goat. :rolleyes:

I've never been to a derm. I have no health insurance (my dad does but I'm not covered in his). I'm 19 and I told my mom I want to visit a derm as my Christmas gift. She keeps telling me it's my diet and that I need to keep taking zinc & copper and all these other vitamins and wait for it to work. She's in denial about my acne. She has no idea how much it hurts emotionally and physically. My face is always in pain somewhere... I can't take it anymore! I don't know how else to convince her besides crying hysterically in front of her like I do some nights alone.

Tell me... don't you think I need to see a dermatologist? My face is out of control!!!!!!

My back used to be just as bad, but Head & Shoulders got rid of almost all of it. Unfortunately H&S is too strong for my face... like almost every other regemin I've ever tried for my face.

Advice, please? ANYTHING. Help me in ANY way you can. I'm sick of crying all the time and pitying myself.

post-65407-1195960840_thumb.jpg

post-65407-1195960849_thumb.jpg

post-65407-1195960840_thumb.jpg

post-65407-1195960849_thumb.jpg

It's probably best to see a derm. A while back I had acne like that and I got on accutane. It worked pretty damn well for a while. My face got bad again like 5 months ago but nowhere near as bad as before. Anyway, right now I'm doing bfg's reg and it's working really well for me. If you can't see a derm I would definitely recommend trying it. I've also went the diet route before and at one point I was practically living off fruit. It sucked :snooty:.

Right now I still avoid anything with medium amounts of sugar and grease. I also avoid dairy. This is because I actually have noticed how quickly it wreaks havoc on my face. Eating decent and doing bfg's reg have made my face practically clear besides the red marks. Things I've tried that didn't work include, sea salt, bp creams, tea tree oil, sa wipes, acne-statin, etc...

Hope it helps :D

You can try Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B-5). If you're not familiar with it, look it up. It does wonders. But it can get expensive since you have to take about 10 grams of it (up to 20 pills a day) for the first few months for it to work. Its a water soluble, so u can't overdose on it, however some poeole do get diarrhea and hair thinning as a side effect. I did not expereince ay side effects, most people don't, then again some do.

Eboni, visit a derm, I agree with others. Try accutane if it is prescribed to you, perhaps antibiotics may help.

Do not wait, if you don't want to get permanent scars.

well i notice that it looks as though u pick at ur skin...do you? tell us what you do for your acne if anything at all....

i think its important that you at least go see a derm...or start using benzoyl peroxide 2.5%....see where that takes you...u should also check out dans regimen...good luck honey and please keep us posted!

Its not severe acne but rather moderate. People with severe acne usually have cysts like those big lumps all over their face and they know they have severe acne.

I think for you, you need to visit a doctor. If you can't visit a derm then your family doctor should be ok. Visit your family doctor first and he may probably prescribe some prescription topicals or medications that might help. You can always get a referral from the family doctor to a derm later.

I wouldn't jump to accutane immediately, try out other stuff first. Also I see some irritation on your face, what products are you using? You need gentle products. And do stop picking, it can cause scarring and spread the acne around the area making it worse.

Yes I pick, and I can't stop! If I don't pick I look twice as bad at work with all the makeup covering it. It's so so awful.

Lately I've just been using St. Ives Apricot scrub in the past two weeks and taking massive amounts of Zinc and Copper to speed up the healing process. So far it does heal wounds faster but it doesn't get rid of new acne.

I used Proactiv in October and it was starting to work but after a week and a half my skin became SO DRY that I had to stop to look presentable for work (I work at a Bank and appearance is a big deal there).

Last night I was in a horrible mood from my acne and my mother asked me what was wrong. I just spewed it out that I felt ugly and didn't want to be around her or my dad just because I was so embarassed. And that I'm always in pain and now eating hurts because they are around my mouth...

She told me today she was talking to my dad about a Derm so I'm hoping I got through to her. Oh I just pray to God I get to go!

Please do not pick anymore, the bacteria will spread and more pimples will come up. Those that you picked also have a chance of resurfacing. The Apricot scrub is a bad idea, it can tear the skin especially since you have so much inflame acne inducing more irritation. Maybe that's why your acne is so red. You really need to be gentle otherwise the consequences will be pain, irritation and more acne.

I suggust you stick to mild products. Drop the scrub and get a gentle cleanser- Cetaphil, Purpose and dan's cleanser are good options. BP works exceptionally well your type of acne so smear a thin layer over the affected areas. You can try Dan's regimen its pretty good till you get to the dermatologist.

For now, just use as little stuff as possible and DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE!

Hmm, I would also suggest stopping the Apricot scrub.

I think I've tried it before. It just dries out my skin and the beads are too rough.

I say go for cetaphil skin cleanser. You can buy a big bottle for cheap.

Don't pick your acne. If your skin isn't dry, I don't think theres a need to moisturize.

Moisturizing might break you out, because it can take a while to find the right moisturizer for your skin.

Also, you might want to post in the make up forum. Your make up might be causing you acne, so the ppl there might be able to give you suggestions.

I dont know how i can help you except to tell you that when i was 13 i had moderate acne on my forehead, and i cleared it with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide Clearasil.. i cant find it anywhere now.. Im 16 now and i have moderate-severe acne on my face, its def worse than yours so believe me, your not alone. Its tearing me apart and I pray to god every night for him to get rid of it. Its probably affecting me way more than it affects you.

Right now im not using any product for my face. Im washing my face every morning, afternoon and night with warm water for about 30 seconds. My face feels pretty smooth and hopefully the acne will go away soon.

Dont use accutane, thats just retarded. Too many side effects and it can cause liver damage in the future. Im gonna try laser surgery before I come near accutane.

Good luck, your not alone

I do feel for you. I am 25 as of now, but I've been battling acne since I was 13, and I'm still dealing with it even now. My cheeks and chin actually resemble your condition, except I don't really get acne on my forehead for some reason.

Visiting a derm is a good idea. Hopefully, by now, you would have already seen one.

Meanwhile, I very much agree with the above replies about stopping the apricot scrub. Or any scrub for that matter. When I used to see a derm, I was also advised not to try any scrubs or facials. The exfoliation beads really irritate the active acne. I went against her advice a couple of times because I was so taken with all the fancy scrubs in their pretty packaging, and I regretted it every time when my face flared up again.

Just stick to a gentle cleanser and a basic moisturiser for the time being to let your skin calm down a bit.

I understand.. the loneliness, the depression, the sadness. My advice to you is go on Accutane, try it out. I'm on it right now and its working pretty well, acne stopped. i'm so sorry that you have to go through this, and you're a girl too! i'm a guy and it hurt my confidence and self-esteem big time. I can't even imagine how it would feel like to be a girl and have acne. Just keep having hope, having hope will give you confidence.

That Apricot Scrub is pretty aweful! Ive used it and a lot of other members here have used it also. Its very abbrasive. You need to use a mild cleanser and then moisturize until you can get in to see a derm. Im sorry youre feeling sad about your face and that your mom isnt being supportive. It does look painful. My mom is like that too. It took me over a year to convince her I needed to see a derm.

I'm 33 and have just started Accutane (1month). I went through all of my 20s feeling terrible about my appearance and hoping my acne would clear on its own but it never did, it only continued to get worse. My husband and my family would tell me to try this and don't eat that thinking they were helping. But the whole time they didn't understand acne and how it works or how it makes you feel about yourself. I tried to control my acne with over the counter products and cover it with makeup. This worked as a surface solution and helped to control the severity of my breakouts but never completely eliminated them.

You should DEFINITELY go see a dermatologist. It is the best thing I ever did for my face. It is NEVER a waste of time. When you take Accutane they monitor you every month with blood work to make sure your liver is not being effected. Also, the side effects (most common are dry skin/chapped lips) are very minimal compared to how it can get rid of your acne. My face has never been this clear. It looks and feels like it did when I was a teenager. That's only after one month!

If your parents don't take you to a dermatologist I would suggest 10% benzoyl peroxide cream (the gel form never worked well) applied at night or during the day after a shower. A little goes a long way. Never wash your face with a washcloth more than once a week. Washcloths are too abrasive and can cause more breakouts. The once a week use of a washcloth should be gentle, never scrub. It is only to remove dead skin (somewhat like an exfoliant). Also, wash one to two times a day with Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser. This is a wonderful product, the best I ever tried. You can also take a Selenium (vitamin) tablet once a day. The best moisturizer I've found (and it's all natural, no harsh chemicals) is by Arbonne. A little pricey but you can find it on ebay for half of what a consultant sells it for and its benefit is definitely worth the cost.

I had the same type of acne as you in my 20s only to see it get much worse in my early 30s. I would hate to see anyone wait that long to get professional help. I hope this helps and remember not to let the acne define who you are. It can be treated and there is help for you. Definitely see a dermatologist if you can- I wish I would have earlier.

colon detox/cleanse, get a lot of water, stop eating refined and processed foods, eat more natural foods, fresh fruits and veggies, omega 3 fats are good. eat a truely balanced diet. avoid refined sugars and sweets.

i think the colon detox might help the most out of everything. also make sure that you are getting antioxidants in your diet