Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ugh

Differin Question

27-yr old male.

I went to the derm a couple months ago because my forehead started to breakout in multiple blackheads above the surface. Some of them would become inflamed and red. I also had patches of red spots on my forehead. Anyhow, he told me to use Differin .1% once an evening. However, he didn't tell me anything else (literally, he gave me some free samples, and that was it).

It's been almost 9 weeks, and my skin went like this:

- In the first four weeks, I had a bad breakout with red pimples, no reduction in blackheads, and significant red marks. My skin was dry (very dry in some patches) and pink.

- During the next three weeks my skin seemed to really improve, with a significant reduction in blackheads and red marks. Skin still dry and pink.

- During the last week, I have many new blackheads and red marks. Skin still dry and red.

Bad, good, bad. Is this normal? It is VERY disheartening. I figured there would be only one bad breakout, but I woke up yesterday with many new blackheads and red inflammation. It's almost like I'm at where I started. I read some comments/reviews, and I understand everyone's skin reacts differently, but I'm just trying to get an idea of how much longer I should give Differin a chance to work.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I should note that when I was 20 I went on Accutane. My skin wasn't horrible, not many cysts, but it completely cleared me up. An awful experience, but cleared me up. However, some years later, I'm going back down the same road...

I remember experiencing cycles like that. I'd give it a little longer. At least 3 months. But call your derm if you are concerned. I was still having trouble at 8-9 weeks, I remember. I'm at 4 months now and it seems to be working well, and much more consistently.

I think the thing with Differin is that it takes a lonng while to get going. I've been on it for 6 weeks now as well as an oral antibiotic and have had no improvement at all. So, it could be that it's still hasn't taken full effect for you.

I started getting better results after about 11 weeks on differin. If you're really concerned about redness, I suggest using some Aloe Vera Gel on your skin prior to using the Differin. Fruit of the Earth seems to work well for me, and I apply the differin once the gel dries out.