Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dacrow

dht blockers

Hey, out of curiosity, would dht blockers have any effect on keratinization/sebum production, etc. I did a search but nothing came up.

By dht blockers I mean medication used mainly for baldness, because baldness is partially caused by dht. Propecia, etc.

Since acne is ALSO largely instigated by dht, wouldn't it seem logical that they would help?

For example:

http://hair-loss-1.blogspot.com/2007/07/dh...-hair-loss.html

It says that dht>baldness, acne. But b/c the article is about baldness, it mentions using dht blockers to lower dht production and thus stop baldness. Logically, acne would also be stopped too.

EDIT: another question. some people believe that water retention causes blockage, and that to prevent this, people should drink more water. wouldn't it be the other way around? Water is hypotonic to blood/body fluids, meaning it will diffuse INTO cells and cause them to retain water/bloat.

There was a clinical study done a while ago that found insignificant improvements in acne in those who took Propecia. Propecia blocks type 2 DHT, while it is type 1 that is found in the sebaceous glands. This is why saw palmetto--or the ultra-potent drug dutasteride--might be beneficial for acne, but not finasteride (Propecia).

As for your second question, a dehydrated person will retain more water, while if you drink plenty of water your body won't see a need to retain as much.

There was a clinical study done a while ago that found insignificant improvements in acne in those who took Propecia.

This post makes me want to get on propecia asap. Their was a post before about acne and baldness where I was recomended to try propecia. For some reason I've always had this feeling that if I do start taking propecia my acne will get better. It sucks being 19 and already signs of baldness. :snooty: Excuse my language but it's pretty much bullshit...doesn't feel good at all. My life would completely change if I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Edit: Maybe I should of read the who post instead of skimming to read about the type 1/2...I'm still going to be taking it for fun baldness.

This post makes me want to get on propecia asap. Their was a post before about acne and baldness where I was recomended to try propecia. For some reason I've always had this feeling that if I do start taking propecia my acne will get better. It sucks being 19 and already signs of baldness. :snooty: Excuse my language but it's pretty much bullshit...doesn't feel good at all. My life would completely change if I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Edit: Maybe I should of read the who post instead of skimming to read about the type 1/2...I'm still going to be taking it for fun baldness.

I have some Saw Palmetto in my cabinet that I was going to start taking. I looked up stuff about it online before but I saw a lot of mixed reviews. I'll have to look it up more since I'm not sure how much to take.

I messaged you but because of your age I would think your hairloss would be due to a deficiency of something or because of a certain medication(or something along those lines). A treatment for those types are probably different from ones that would help someone like me who inherited it but I'd still like to know what worked for you.

I have some Saw Palmetto in my cabinet that I was going to start taking. I looked up stuff about it online before but I saw a lot of mixed reviews. I'll have to look it up more since I'm not sure how much to take.

It is the extract but I can't find it anymore so I'll have to get some more. I was looking stuff up about it and one site said it blocks both type 1 and 2. Not sure what to believe but I'll try it out for the hell of it until I go to the doctors for propecia even though some of the sites I read made it seem that saw palmetto can be just as effective. It's all confusing me. lol

Dancedd, just saw another post of yours about you taking cod liver and zinc. Just wondering if you have seen any improvements acne wise because I've also been taking just cod liver oil and zinc the last 2+ months. I also try to eat healthier and things started to seem to get better but now things aren't working out to well like I thought they were.

It is the extract but I can't find it anymore so I'll have to get some more. I was looking stuff up about it and one site said it blocks both type 1 and 2. Not sure what to believe but I'll try it out for the hell of it until I go to the doctors for propecia even though some of the sites I read made it seem that saw palmetto can be just as effective. It's all confusing me. lol

Dancedd, just saw another post of yours about you taking cod liver and zinc. Just wondering if you have seen any improvements acne wise because I've also been taking just cod liver oil and zinc the last 2+ months. I also try to eat healthier and things started to seem to get better but now things aren't working out to well like I thought they were.

I take 2tsp of cod liver oil but I want to get some some fish oil to take with that also to bump up my 0mega-3 a little more. I have also been avoiding dairy, grains(well gluten), sugars, and prosseced food for the past few months. After about a month of taking cod liver oil and zinc my face was getting better. Pimples would heal faster and the big pimples I used to get here and there especially ones on my neck I wouldn't get anymore or when one did form it wouldn't be no where near as big as before. The last month things haven't been going as well. The only thing I've changed was switching to complex 15 moisturizer. It doesn't leave my skin shiney like others I've tried but it doesn't moisturize as good especially since its cold out here now. It seems like a moisturizer that would be better to use in warmer weather so it could be part of the problem but who knows.

I did find the saw palmetto in my cabinet but I don't think it's extract. It says whole herb on the bottle. I have to buy new ones anyway since these are past there expiration date just like half the stuff in my cabinet. lol

I'm willing to take the chance of messing other things up. Acne and hair loss at 19 has been devastating. I used to be a very active person. I used to skateboard every day since I was little until a few years ago and I was almost certain it would be a big part of my life in the future. Now that I feel like total crap about my face and hair everything that I used to love doing I don't do anymore. A big part of why I feel horrilbe about my self has to do with all the attention I got when I was younger. I had more g/fs from the ages of 12-15 then most people do in a life time. I was always told I was cute/hot and so on. I had so many friends back then and I just felt good in general about life. Now I feel like I have this expectation to be decent looking since I was told I was all my life and it makes things like acne/hair loss 100 times worse. Sorry I don't mean to ramble but sometimes I just have to. lol

I take 2tsp of cod liver oil but I want to get some some fish oil to take with that also to bump up my 0mega-3 a little more. I have also been avoiding dairy, grains(well gluten), sugars, and prosseced food for the past few months. After about a month of taking cod liver oil and zinc my face was getting better. Pimples would heal faster and the big pimples I used to get here and there especially ones on my neck I wouldn't get anymore or when one did form it wouldn't be no where near as big as before. The last month things haven't been going as well. The only thing I've changed was switching to complex 15 moisturizer. It doesn't leave my skin shiney like others I've tried but it doesn't moisturize as good especially since its cold out here now. It seems like a moisturizer that would be better to use in warmer weather so it could be part of the problem but who knows.

I did find the saw palmetto in my cabinet but I don't think it's extract. It says whole herb on the bottle. I have to buy new ones anyway since these are past there expiration date just like half the stuff in my cabinet. lol

I'm willing to take the chance of messing other things up. Acne and hair loss at 19 has been devastating. I used to be a very active person. I used to skateboard every day since I was little until a few years ago and I was almost certain it would be a big part of my life in the future. Now that I feel like total crap about my face and hair everything that I used to love doing I don't do anymore. A big part of why I feel horrilbe about my self has to do with all the attention I got when I was younger. I had more g/fs from the ages of 12-15 then most people do in a life time. I was always told I was cute/hot and so on. I had so many friends back then and I just felt good in general about life. Now I feel like I have this expectation to be decent looking since I was told I was all my life and it makes things like acne/hair loss 100 times worse. Sorry I don't mean to ramble but sometimes I just have to. lol

Really? Did you break out within days or was it longer? I've only been using it for a few weeks now and everything was fine at first. My skin is usually dry but can get oily from being dry and when I use complex 15 it my skin feel moisturized/dry at the same time...it's weird. I kind of like it since my face looks decent all day. With Cetaphil my face looks good for a while after using it but then later on it gets shiney/weird looking and also feels very sticky. I guess I'll cut it out and see what happens. You know of any decent moisturizers? I'm having a hard time of finding one.

I didn't realize I kind of hijacked this thread. lol

Really? Did you break out within days or was it longer? I've only been using it for a few weeks now and everything was fine at first. My skin is usually dry but can get oily from being dry and when I use complex 15 it my skin feel moisturized/dry at the same time...it's weird. I kind of like it since my face looks decent all day. With Cetaphil my face looks good for a while after using it but then later on it gets shiney/weird looking and also feels very sticky. I guess I'll cut it out and see what happens. You know of any decent moisturizers? I'm having a hard time of finding one.

I didn't realize I kind of hijacked this thread. lol

I used that for a couple of months a few years ago but the graphics or writing on the bottle is a little different. I was thinking about trying it again since I still have it but I'm trying to avoid putting things with sa and bp on my face.

About the saw palmetto...how much do you take? I just got some today and it's 80mg per pill which you are suppose to take 4 times a day. I'm not sure if that would be enough or not.

I used that for a couple of months a few years ago but the graphics or writing on the bottle is a little different. I was thinking about trying it again since I still have it but I'm trying to avoid putting things with sa and bp on my face.

About the saw palmetto...how much do you take? I just got some today and it's 80mg per pill which you are suppose to take 4 times a day. I'm not sure if that would be enough or not.