Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I decided to make a log to track my mood, my side effects and my progress. Feel free to comment if you like.

I'm on 50mg, once per day. I'm 7 days in so far. I've got mild to moderate acne.

Day 7!

So far I'm actually pretty satisfied with what I'm seeing. Since I started taking accutane I've only had two zits come up... one was pretty small and was gone within two days and the other sprung up on my left temple this morning. The acne on my cheeks seems to be fading pretty fast and the acne on the back of my neck seems to be getting better though at a slower rate.

However I've freaking sore knees, chapped lips, and dry eyes. I had really dry skin for the first 5 days, but I've been moisturizing 3 times per day and my skin isn't dry anymore... I also had dandruff, but I washed with T-Gel two times and I've got no more flakes though my scalp is still pretty dry.

I also feel great. Slightly bummed at how I'm going to have to take it easy with my weight training for the time I'm on accutane but meh.

I haven't had an initial breakout so that seems to be a good thing. I'm hoping for my skin to clear up within 3 months, by my 18th birthday. My doctor said that if this is the case he'll move me down to a lower dose for a month or two, once 'lesions stop forming'.

Anyways, I'm pretty pumped to be on tane... Its like I'm excited to wake up every morning so I can take my pills. Haha.

Anyways, cheers.

Hope everything works out for you man, im on my third day and i know what you mean about being excited to take the next pill each day...well good luck and look forward to seeeing how things work out for you...

Day 8!

Didn't have school today and I didn't have to work until 3 so I got a good 13 hour sleep! Slept until 1:30. It was pretty good, I had sore knees all day at work and my lips were pretty dry.

My skin seems good today, a couple of old zits that were on the heal filled up overnight and came to head so I squeezed them without making them bleed and without irritating the skin around them... I basically followed my rule of thumb for zits: If gentle squeezing doesn't empty it, then it isn't ready.

I looked at a picture of me two weeks ago, the day I decided to start on tane. Its pretty insane how much a week on tane has changed my skin. I thought I wouldn't see results until a month or two of taking it.

I basically decided to start on tane two weeks ago, I was out for lunch with this girl I really like... I excused myself to go to the washroom and I looked in the mirror when I was washing my hands. My skin had never been so bad, I couldn't believe that this beautiful girl I was out for lunch with even agreed to go with me. I'm a very good looking person when my skin is clear... but man did it look bad. I started on tane a few days later.

I'm going on a trip to Italy and Greece with some friends and classmates in April (I live in Canada) and this girl I like is going to be on it. I want more than anything to have clear skin for when we go.

Bah, I've been ranting. Anyways, the point... my skin seems good today and my mood is good. I'm going to go out with some friends tonight but I'm wondering: Should I drink at all when I go? I usually have two or three beers when I'm out with my friends and occasionally I'll have 6-12, I know I shouldn't binge drink while on tane but would one or two beers hurt me?

Anyways, cheers.

Here are some pics of me on day 8. Still have pretty bad acne, but its become much better.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc89/Ac...accutane004.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc89/Ac...accutane003.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc89/Ac...accutane001.jpg

Also, some additional background information. My skin was pretty good up until three months ago when I had a very bad breakout... a few weeks after that I got drunk and jumped over a very large bonfire, my skin was slightly burned... it healed after a week but after that my acne got out of control.

I went on Murad for a while, and it helped a little... but not very much.

The Cleanser, Spot Treatment, Moisturizer, and the Once a week mask seemed to help

The Exfoliating Acne Treatment was much too harsh and irritated my skin.

Hello Sid,

Great pictures. I hope you clear soon. Im fighting dryness. did you experience any side-effects moisturizing that often?

Greetings Martin

I wouldnt drink while on 'Tane...

No, a beer or two every now and then most likely will not harm your liver however 'tane is a powerful drug and one must always take precaution.

Good luck.

Great pictures. I hope you clear soon. Im fighting dryness. did you experience any side-effects moisturizing that often?

No, I wasn't aware there were side effects to moisturizing. I only moisturize if I need to. I'm back down to twice a day. I'm using my leftover Murad moisturizer on my face and Body Shop's Body Butter on my body, mostly my shoulders and upper arms are getting dry.

As for the great pictures... haha, I messed around with the lighting and contrast so you could see the acne better. In normal light it doesn't look quite that bad, but still.... it sucks.

The messing with the contrast seems to be making my Post-Inflammatory Hyper-Pigmentation seem alot worse than it is.

Just finishing my coffee and popping my tane, then its off to work. 9-5 today. Got a raise this week though!

Cheers.

Day 9!

Ended up having to work until 6:30 today... and I didn't have time to take a lunch break! I spent most of the day in -15 degrees Celsius... chiseling ice off of metal rivets, wasn't fun.

The day is looking up though, got a date tonight so we'll see where that goes.

Skin is looking pretty good, a zit on my temple refilled so I had to empty it out again but other than that I'm good. Very dry eyes today though.

Also, I've discovered the cure to my knee pain! I doubled up on the Fish Oil Caplets yesterday and today and my knees didn't hurt very much at all today!

So my day wasn't great but its getting better by the minute.

Anyways, cheers!

The day is looking up though, got a date tonight so we'll see where that goes.

So much for that. She canceled on me, probably got blown off for some other guy. In a pretty bad mood now, and to top it all off I got a call from work asking me to come in tomorrow.

I seriously feel like going to the bar to have a dozen self pity beers and go home with some random girl I don't know... unfortunately I'm on tane and I can't drink. Funny how things seem to be going really good and then BAM, your weekend is fucked.

So pissed off, so frustrated, so sad. Not tane induced though... life induced.

Day 10!

Hey guys, feeling much better today.

Woke up this morning at 8, got ready and was at work by 9. Turned out I only had to work for 2 hours so that was pretty good. It was 11 so I went out for brunch with my family. Not feeling so bad about getting blown off last night... realized that there are plenty of fish in the sea... kinda realized it when I saw a girl checking me out head to toe today, big time. Anyways, feeling pretty good. Not going to call "the whore" again... I'll wait until she calls me so I can turn HER down.

Anyways, skin is looking pretty good. Everything is healing well except for a single annoying zit on my left cheek, I put some spot treatment on it a while ago so hopefully it will fade pretty quick. Since I doubled up on the fish oil caplets I haven't really had any knee pain at all.

Did have a nose bleed last night, and my lips are pretty dry today... but not a big deal... chapsticking it up. I hate the dry cold! No humidity and -15 degrees Celsius outside.

Anyways, cheers!

Hello Sid,

don't let you get down by one girl. i know it sucks, but there are plenty of fish in the ocean. Just imagine in about 3 months (when your totally clear with your baby skin)..... :)

Good luck mate, im following your log with great anticipation

Day 11!

I'm just getting ready for bed so I'll be quick. Great day today, was away from the gym for a week until I saw how accutane would affect me. I'm training slightly less hardcore than I usually am and I'm doing lower weight and higher reps so I don't hurt my joints. Damn, when I get a pump I look good!

The skin is looking great, it is now officially better than it has been in 3-4 months. Some areas that I thought were Post Inflammation Hyper-Pigmentation seem to be pushing out the crap that was actually inside of them...

Its like my skin is purging itself of the crap that was causing my acne. The zit on my cheek is still going strong though, I hope it'll be on the mend tomorrow. So basically I've only got two real zits left on my face and the ex-zits seem to be purging themselves. I can't wait to see how my skin looks tomorrow.

I had very dry lips today, and I had a weird little mood swing... but it didn't last long. I was staring into the mirror thinking about how much better I look and all of a sudden I was filled with the compulsion to destroy something. It was weird. I nearly smashed my mirror. It passed after about 45 seconds to a minute though. I had severe anger problems as a young teenager (14-16) and I had to attend anger management twice a week. Hopefully the tane isn't bringing out that side of me again. I don't want to become that person again.

I used to basically be teetering on the brink of a rage 24/7 and it was like I had a little ball of violence inside of me, it was a challenge to contain... it would break out every once in a while. I was suspended 14 times in 10th grade for beating people up... I got caught less than half of the times I hurt someone, so my number of violent incidents was probably around 30 that year. I eventually got my anger problem under control and I wasn't in trouble at all in grade 11 and so far in grade 12.

I hope I don't have another episode like that though. Especially around people.

Anyways

Hello Sid,

Sounds like we shouldn't make fun of you nowdays :) i think mood-swings can happen when your on tane. It could also be the improvement just opened the door to some feelings you already had inside you. It's never easy living with acne. Expect some more emotions to surface :) and try to keep your mirror in one peace....7 years of bad luck

Day 12!

My skin is looking great today! Better than yesterday because the zit on my cheek is healing and is less red and inflamed. I had kind of sore knees today and chapped lips, but meh. I also crashed my car today, I swerved to avoid a dog and hit a snow bank and had to dig my car out! It sucked!

The rest of my day was great! I'm finalizing my travel plans to Europe this Spring and I'm very excited. Anyways, not much to report, it was a good day.

Day 13!

Thanks for everyone who's been posting on my log! I just realized that we're on the same day of our treatment Martin84, it'll be interesting to compare our experiences even though we're on different doses. I'm keeping an eye on your log Martin, I check it right after I check mine!

Anyways, I feel good today... I've been doing much better in school lately and my Physics teacher commented about it today. I had a 76% average at report cards and apparently I've pushed it over 80% in the last few weeks after report cards so I'm pretty happy about that. Its still cold and very dry here. I hate the winter.

My skin looks good, not quite as good as yesterday as two little whiteheads popped up out of nowhere, above the skin so I was able to get rid of em. I tend to heal fairly fast so I don't think there will be any sign of them by tomorrow morning. The big zit on my cheek that is healing up is still very visible and a little inflamed but I don't think its going to fill up again. I realized today that I have absolutely no acne on my forehead, nose or my upper lip. My nose has a few blackheads that aren't very visible and my forehead has some unevenness. But yeah, the acne is contained to the back of my neck and the side of my cheeks. I'm waiting with anticipation to see it fade as well.

As far a symptoms I had very dry skin today, I moisturized in the morning, at lunch and I'll moisturize again before bed. I've got some dry skin on my arms as well but I've been usinge "Hempz Body Butter" and "Aveno Oatmeal Moisturizer" on it and it is getting better. My lips were peeling a little but not so bad. My mood is good. I feel fine, now that my Europe trip is in hand I feel like I have something to look forward to. Also, my sisters are coming home from university for Christmas so my whole family will be together. I'm excited for that.

Its pretty funny how sorry I was feeling for myself just a few days ago. But yeah... I feel good. I want to share a song with you guys that basically sums up how I'm feeling today.

Joy by: Against Me!

Lyrics

All's quiet, except for this song.

So maybe while I'm not together I can feel like I'm not alone.

And somewhere off in the distance, rapidly advancing, is an onslaught of sorts.

Young sirens wail in a skewed sense of glory.

And the lions in the cages roar at the memory of fight.

And there's a joy, a joy in all I can see.

A joy, in every possibility.

And all around us is a great, great failing.

American rockets red-glare in a most

disgusting triumph.

And in passing I am asked "Do you believe in a God?",

I shrug off the answer, continue to get high

in this terror of no explanation.

I am looking for a faith.

My panic is an only reason.

There's a joy, a joy in all I can see.

A joy, in every possibility.

Anyways, I been talking for alot longer than I meant to! Thank you to everyone who's been reading.

Day 14!

So I've reached the two week mark! I felt a little under the weather today so I decided to stay home from school.

In terms of acne my skin is good its completely contained to my cheeks. In terms of dryness my skin is terrible. My scalp is flaky and dry... and the skin around my mouth is extremely dry... I've moisturized the area like 7 times today and its still dry! Its weird, this area wasn't dry at all yesterday but when I woke up this morning it was awful. Anyways, the skin is dry, red and painful. I'm going to soak in the tub, exfoliate gently and then apply a ton of moisturizers before going to bed.

In terms of my mood I feel alright, still not feeling so great physically... sore throat and congestion from this morning still lingering. Meh, I'm sure I'll feel better after a good sleep. Maybe I'll drink some Neo-Citrin before going to bed.

Anyways, going to bathe, do the exfoliation then cover my entire body in moisturizers!

Day 15!

I think I may be having a little IB, a few whiteheads surfaced today.. like 4 of 5. No real zits to speak of though... just whiteheads with no zit. Also, the skin around my lips is so freaking dry. I've probably moisturized this area 50 times in the last 2 days. I'm buying a humidifier tomorrow to put in my room when I sleep, I'm only going to shower/bathe once per day and I'm only going to shower in lukewam water. Hopefully the combination of these will make my skin less dry.

I feel alright though. I hit the gym after work today and it was good, intense. Nothing much happened in my town tonight so I stayed in... which isn't like me at all.

Basically, if my dry skin around my mouth got better it would be the perfect day. *Manically applies moisturizer*

Day 16

Pretty good day today, tired though... I think I'm getting fatigue as a side effect. Worked all day today and I was too tired to go out! So I just ate dinner and watched a movie. I bought a humidifier today and put it in my room, its been going for a few hours so hopefully my room is humid when I go to sleep in like 5 mins.

The area around my mouth is still dry, but its much better.

Got a new zit on my cheek today, so bah. My skin looked best on Day 12, much better than it looks today.

Anyways, I'd better get to bed before I start ranting.

Day 17!

My skin is much less flaky today, got a new whitehead but my skin looks alot better than it did yesterday. The humidifier seems to be doing the trick. Also, showering once per day instead of twice and using lukewarm water instead of hot is helping.

Anyways. I basically lazed around the house today and went to the gym in the evening... not much to report. My mood is good, I feel great.

Day 18 & 19

Hey guys, I went to take a nap at 8 o'clock last night and didn't wake up until this morning so I missed adding to my log.

Day 18 was a pretty good day, my dry skin was better but a couple of zits sprung up. One on my forehead and one on my cheek. Other than that my skin is actually looking clearer.

Today, day 19 is alright, the zit on my forehead is pretty red but I'm sure it'll be under control in a day or two... I'm going out of town for a couple of days so I'll be back on day 21.

Good luck with your accutane treatment. Your skin isn't real bad to begin with, so you should see awesome results!! For me accutane really gives you something to look forward to. I'll check back to see how you are progressing.

Day 20 and 21

Hey guys, I'm back!

My skin is looking much better, the monster zit that was on my forehead is fading quickly. I have been looking at my pics from day 8 and my cheeks look WAY better, my face is improving at an awesome rate. The acne on my neck is also progressing visibly, but not as fast as my face.

A really big zit sprung up on my back two nights ago and a smaller one sprung up last night. This is weird because I don't get backne. So yeah. My skin is also very dry, but not as bad as its been. I had a rash on both of my arms but it is getting alot better. I'm starting to get a bit of a rash on my chest too but I'm putting cream on it every morning and night so I'm sure it'll get better quickly.

So basically, I'm looking and feeling pretty good.

Anyways, I'm gonna eat then hit the gym.

Cheers!

Day 22 and 23!

Hey guys! The last couple days have been alright, minus tonight.

My skin is clearing up at a pretty astounding rate, I've got a couple of active zits and with the clearness I've got now they look worse than they are... a month ago I wouldn't even consider them a big deal.

I've got an active zit on each cheek. The monster zit on my forehead is almost gone, it'll be gone by Monday morning I think. The acne on my neck is getting better and the two zits that sprung up on my back are healing too. I honestly can't believe how much better my skin is getting. I'll post some pics on day 30 to show off how much better I am!

Tonight I went to a staff Christmas party... I wasn't drinking so I left pretty early. I went to a friend's house where 7 or 8 of my friends were hanging out watching a movie. "The Bitch/The Whore" (Read back if you don't know who I'm talking about) walks in with her new boyfriend... a high voiced, noodle armed little asshole. I cracked a couple of beers because I knew I had to calm down or I would either:

a) Storm out and look like an ass or:

b) Kick his face in and look like an ass... and probably get charged.

So after a couple beers I was able to sit for the rest of the movie, conversing with other friends and watching the movie with one eye... completely ignoring the happy couple. Everyone there knew what happened and I felt so fucking humiliated, angry and hurt. I thought I'd gotten over these feelings that I had for "The Bitch".

So I was sitting there wallowing in my own self-pity and I took a look around me, at my friends... and I realized something. These people AREN'T my friends, all we do is get together on weekends and drink or maybe go for lunch every once in a while. I can't actually talk to any of these people about anything that actually matters, I wouldn't trust them with my secrets, I wouldn't talk to them about how I feel about my whole situation. Honestly, regularly drinking with someone doesn't make them your friend.

I decided to not binge drink while on tane. I occasionally have one or two beers but not very often... so basically all that really tied me to my friends is an activity that I don't really want any part of anymore, at least for a time. So I went over a mental list of people I consider friends and then eliminated from the list all my "drinking friends" all I was left with was 4. Out of probably 40 people that I considered my friends all that was left was 4. It fucking depressed me. Oh, and two of those 4 are away at University. Joy.

Also, I wasn't going to tell you guys about this because it was retarded of me... but I binge drank on Tuesday. I swore off binge drinking while on tane and I broke my promise to myself. I was out of town and I ended up hanging out with some friends who were at University and we went to the bar I got drunk... probably drank 5 pints. When I finally went to bed I couldn't sleep and some really old feelings about an ex of mine, from my most serious relationship sprung up. I started texting her but didn't get any response... I wanted some advice about my situation and what I should do... I felt like I could talk to her because on the extremely rare occasion that she contacts me I find she is really easy to talk to. I think she changed her cell phone number and e-mail when she moved. Meh, she'll call me one of these days... not sure when though.

So I don't know. I went home right after the movie saying that I had to work tomorrow, a lie. I started listening to "The Postal Service" while writing my log entry. One of their songs had a few lines that basically summed up how I feel, the song is called "This Place is a Prison"

This place is a prison

These people aren't your friends

Inhaling thrills through twenty dollar bills

The tumblers are drained then flooded again and again

I know there's a big world out there

Like the one I saw on TV

In my living room late last night

It was almost too bright to see

I know it's not a party if it happens every night

Pretending there's glamor and candelabra

When your drinking by candle light

Anyways, re-reading this... I'm being pathetic. This is how most teenagers relationships to their friends is... few close friends and many peripheral friends. Also, there are other girls than "The Bitch" that I could have for the asking, so why don't I move on and find someone else?

I don't know, I've got some issues that I need to go over and some deep rooted problems I need to figure out. Why do I always choose women that treat me badly? Why do I have such a hard time getting over women after they get rid of me?

Haha, I wrote alot. Jeeze, I wonder if anyone is actually going to read this.

Day 24 and 25!

BREAKOUT!

Before I went to bed last night I looked in the mirror and saw another zit was forming on my right cheek. I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning another two had come up and an old one that I thought was healing filled up again. I can't believe such huge zits formed overnight!

All of the zits came to heads and I was able to empty them out at the end of the day just by gently squeezing. The area around the zits looked a little irritated for around an hour but it looks fine now, I'm pretty sure the zits won't bother me as much in the future though one or two may fill up again.

I know it was only three zits and one refilling but this is the most serious breakout I've had since I started my treatment, not because of the number of zits but because of their size... they are pretty big. I've had much worse, but man... these are gross.

The zits on my neck are getting better fairly quickly now, there are probably only about a third as many actives as I had when I started my treatment, I think I have about 4 on the back of my neck and I had 12 when I started tane.

I find something interesting though. The left side of my face and the left side of the back of my neck are almost completely clear but the right side of the back of my neck has 4 rather large active zits and the right side of my face has 4 large active zits. Both the right neck and right cheek have two inactives.

The left side of my face has a scab from a zit that ended up scabbing, some red marks and two dry, inactive zits that are healing fast. The left side of the back of my neck has no actives, but one inactive and some red marks.

On the bright side, my non inflamed acne (blackheads and whiteheads) seem to be fading quickly. I had many blackheads on my nose and about a third of them are gone... I had many whiteheads on my chin and they are almost all gone!

Anyways, my skin looks and is is much better than when I started... but its looked better earlier in the treatment. I'm guessing my IB just came late.

I have to go get blood work tomorrow and then I'll see my doctor on Wednesday to get my prescription refilled. I'm guessing he'll keep me at the same dose for at least another month and see how it goes. I'm still confident that this will only be a 3 month treatment, my progress is pretty good so far and the tane hasn't even been in my body that long. I hope I don't have to be on tane for anymore than 3 months, I hate the side effects... but I'll stay on as long as it takes to get clear.

Anyways, cheers!

Day 26 and 27

Today and yesterday my skin was really dry, especially on my chin. I've moisturized multiple times today and I think it is a bit better. My lips were also very dry and were peeling.

In terms of acne, one of the four actives on my face refilled and came to a head so I was easily able to get rid of it. The other three are healing fairly nicely already, I think the redness and bumps of them will go down by Monday.

On the bright side... there are no longer any actives on my neck at all!!! The four that I had just two days ago dried up and are healing on their own! No spot treatment, no squeezing. I just left them alone and they are healing awesome. I think I'm going to take a similar, hands off approach to my facial acne.

I checked my face over and there aren't any zits-to-be on my face at all and my non-inflamed acne is getting so much better. The blackheads all over my face are disappearing at a pretty crazy rate! The whiteheads that are concentrated to my cheeks and my chin are also fading, but slower than the blackheads are.

So basically, when the 4 zits on my face heal up I will have no more acne... or so it seems. We'll see what the next few days bring. Basically, I'm hating the dryness caused by the tane but I'm actually pretty happy with the curing of my acne. I can't imagine how good my skin will look after a month... it will probably be pretty dry still, but clear.

Anyways, I feel great. Cheers!