Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crm6360

Acne and sunshine/UV rays

according to my dermatologist, any sunlight is bad for acne and may only be a temporary cure, if at all. many times your skin looks much better and is much healthier if you don't tan-

Sunshine was the main culprit of my acne. Was marching for a Red Cross Function, under the sun for 7 hours (mostly morning sun). After I went home, acne all over my face. Everyone was shocked. Just one day, and all hell broke loose. And, of course, everything went downhill from thereon. Needless to say, I hate the sun.

One of my few really bad breakouts occured when I was on vacation in DC in the summer of 2001... walking around outside in that intense sun for several days. What compouned the problem was not having any acne medication or topical applications. I can still see some faint scarring from that episode to this day.

Sunshine is a bitch.

The sun doesn't cause acne.. its the heat and sweat that would cause it.. Actually i think the uv rays will kill some baceteria and if you aren't sweating will cause your skin to dry out .. Its extremely bad for scars on the other hand b/c it will make them darker.

well, I've heard that sweat doesn't contribute to acne... a myth perhaps?

as for the heat, I dunno how it would help or hurt the situation.

It's a myth. The sweat and sebum gland are appart from each other.

If you have a clean skin you should tan, i skipped a summer at the beach (due to exams) and the following year i started having real acne.

Tanning is like having a natural peeling, it destroys old skin.

All I can say is wear sunscreen...regardless of whether or not it causes acne(something I believe will always be cause for argument.) Sun damage is much more risky these days because the sun is stronger than it used to be because of a thinner ozone layer. In the long run, acne doesn't matter if you end up with skin cancer trying to get rid of it.