Notifications
Clear all

Hard white stuff coming off my pores????

MemberMember
(@itsme16)

Posted : 11/20/2007 6:21 pm

When I rub my face a little, it is like if it was always shedding white stuff, like grains of salt. Then when I look at my face close up in the mirror I see every single pore on my nose and cheek clogged up with white stuff. When I squeeze it out (I know I shouldn't), some pores release white gooey stuff while others release a small, hard, beady like thing, and it leaves a hole behind, I don't know if it is scarred, but the next day it fills up again!!!

I am currently using green cream at night and BHA in the morning but it hasn't helped much, yet. Will they eventually clean out my pores, and close them up???

MemberMember
(@lora)

Posted : 11/21/2007 8:17 am

The stuff is a mixture of sebum and dead skin cells. They form comedones (think it's spelt like that) which block the pores. I think the regime you are on should help with it, but they may well take a while to clear. I'd suggest not squeezing them (I know it's hard to resist!) to avoid infection and scarring. How long have you been using the products you mentioned?

MemberMember
(@itsme16)

Posted : 11/21/2007 10:40 am

The stuff is a mixture of sebum and dead skin cells. They form comedones (think it's spelt like that) which block the pores. I think the regime you are on should help with it, but they may well take a while to clear. I'd suggest not squeezing them (I know it's hard to resist!) to avoid infection and scarring. How long have you been using the products you mentioned?
MemberMember
(@rommy)

Posted : 11/21/2007 10:52 am

I have this problem too. Mine is mostly around the sides of my nose and on the area of the cheek bellow the eye close to the nose. The white stuff seems to show up more after washing and even more after steaming. Often I can scrape it off with my nail when its at the side of my nose, I get a weird satisfaction from doing so too! (I know I probably shouldn't do it, I don't do it on the cheeks as they seem alot more sensitive than the nose.) I've been using differin since june now, and it's made no difference at all to this part of my acne.

MemberMember
(@itsme16)

Posted : 11/22/2007 10:59 am

I have this problem too. Mine is mostly around the sides of my nose and on the area of the cheek bellow the eye close to the nose. The white stuff seems to show up more after washing and even more after steaming. Often I can scrape it off with my nail when its at the side of my nose, I get a weird satisfaction from doing so too! (I know I probably shouldn't do it, I don't do it on the cheeks as they seem alot more sensitive than the nose.) I've been using differin since june now, and it's made no difference at all to this part of my acne.
MemberMember
(@robotboy)

Posted : 11/24/2007 9:39 am

i've got the exact same thing going on!

i hope you get more replies to this thread.

MemberMember
(@drainer15)

Posted : 11/26/2007 2:57 pm

Yeah I have something very similar. People say that BHA and Differin should help, but I've been using both for over 6 months now with no impact on removing the white stuff from my pores

MemberMember
(@le-mois)

Posted : 11/26/2007 9:34 pm

I just squeeze those. Fine for me.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/26/2007 9:37 pm

If you add in some very gentle baby's hair brush exfoliation, that will help remove the top layer of the clogged pore so the rest of it more easily extrudes during regular skin cleansing.

Another good thing is to go get professionally done extractions from a licensed esthetician who has a lot of experience with acne prone skin. That will help (done regularly) along with your skin care regimen.

Personally, I judiciously use a comedone extractor for the tiny clogged pores. Works fine for me, but one must be gentle!

MemberMember
(@fivetotenyears)

Posted : 11/26/2007 9:54 pm

I used to have those before i went on accutane. Mostly on nose and T-zone. It's sebum and skin cells.

Different names for the different forms. The white stringy ones are sebaceous filaments. If they are yellow and hard then they are blackheads. They are only hard and granular (like sand or salt) because you pick and exfoliate. If you were to leave them they'd turn into hard blackheads.

After Accutane I was still getting the small granular sebum on my nose and upper cheeks and central forehead. So I experimented a little. Turns out it was the fish oil and Flax seed oil capsules i was taking with my vitamins. I stopped those capsules and the granular sebum in my pores went away and has never come back.

Something else i did was cut out dairy and cow milk. i was still getting some small pimples after accutane. those went away too after stopping milk. its been three months and i havent had ANY acne. ZERO

MemberMember
(@luis-figo)

Posted : 11/29/2007 10:25 am

I would love to know how to get rid of or at least control this condition as I've had it for over 10 years and its extremely annoying and frustrating.

I've tried Retin-A, Tazorac, Skinoren, Jojoba Oil, Paula's Choice BHA, Chemical Peels, Masks and none of them have worked. (I cannot use accutane as i'm a mixed martial artist and and can't risk damaging my joints.)

Could someone post their success at treating this condition and mention what products and/or supplements they used to treat it.

thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@itsme16)

Posted : 11/30/2007 3:58 pm

I bought green cream Level 9, and it seems to be working better than Level 6, you guys should try it out. I am still not where I want to be, but hopefully with time I'll get there.

MemberMember
(@just-littleolme)

Posted : 11/12/2020 5:08 pm

I have the same problem with the white strings and be what looks like tiny rice and what I thought were maggots! Out of my arms legs and scalp. My hair twists under and shoots out hard pieces of white and I'm other things. Any advice ? Has this happened to anyone?

MemberMember
(@just-littleolme)

Posted : 11/12/2020 5:08 pm

I have the same problem with the white strings and be what looks like tiny rice and what I thought were maggots! Out of my arms legs and scalp. My hair twists under and shoots out hard pieces of white and I'm other things. Any advice ? Has this happened to anyone?

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 11/13/2020 2:01 pm

An overpopulation of microscopic demodex skin mites can cause these symptoms. Blackheads, folliculitis, pustules and papules, body acne, scalp acne are all signs of demodex. They may also cause red eyes, blepharitis (swollen lids), styes, etc. "Acne" may appear cyclical as the mites live and die on a 2-3 week cycle. The mites eat oil so diet changes or drugs like accutane/birth control pills/spiralactone that reduce oiliness may appear to help but only while taking them. Reducing skin oil starves the mite population down but doesnot eliminate it. The mite populationmay rebound after the oil reducing drug is stopped. While everyone has the mites a healthy immune system along witha healthy diet keepthem in check. If the immune system is down due to illness or stress the mites can become overpopulated in time. A knowledgeable dermatologist can test for demodex.

If demodex is the cause, the following medical study describes a2 week, 2 drug, inexpensive, prescription treatment is highly effective.

Link to the medical paper entitled "Evaluation of the efficacy of oral ivermectin in comparison with ivermectinmetronidazole combined therapy in the treatment of ocular and skin lesions ofDemodex folliculorum"URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

If the link is broken, Google the title of the paper to find it.

Over the counter options include Tea Tree Oil facial cleansers, Tea Tree Oil shampoo, Boric Acid Facial Mask, Borateam - Epsom Salt bath soak (body acne), and hypochlorous acid sprays and Cliradex (tea tree oil extract)wipes,.

MemberMember
(@milkysweet)

Posted : 11/16/2020 10:53 pm

On 11/13/2020 at 6:08 AM, Just littleolme said:

I also have the same problem and I reallydon't like it.