Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadbeat007

Skin Lighteners

I was using Meladerm for four weeks, but I hadn't seen any results. Last week, I tried using Obagi's "Clear," a strong skin lightener. I wish I hadn't... My face ended up looking extremely red and raw, and I broke out very mildly around my face. Once my skin is calmed down and the pimples are flat, I'll get back on Meladerm (I still have quite a bit left in the bottle), but I don't really have high hopes of it working.

Has anyone tried other skin lighteners, and if so, what results did you see?

I was using a skin whitening soap in combination with exfoliation every night and that seemed to work well for me. There are quite a few different skin whitening soaps on the market and they are quite cheap.

lol yeah theyre only readily available in asian countries where dark skin is considered bad. I found my whitening soap at an indian dairy (dunno if you guys have dairies but theyre kinda like your quickee mart type thing lol).

Kligman's formula is a good treatment for dark discolourations/brown marks/post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation which consists of hydroquinone 4%, tretinoin 0.025%, kogic acid 2% and an corticosteroid 1%. I don't recommend the corticosteroid which is only their to counteract the irritating effects of the tretinoin and to promote healing. If your skin isn't sensitive ask your dermatologist to prescribe it for you without the corticosteroid. Anyway, I'll explain the other ingredients.

Hydroquinone 4% Lighten's discolourations by inhibiting tyrosinase, the pigment producing enzyme. It also stops melanin (the pigment) from being formed which in turn gradually lightens dark spots, brown marks or in other words post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Kogic Acid 2% Kogic acid acts by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase. It does this by affecting copper, which is needed for the enzyme to work properly.

Corticosteroid 1% Has an anti-metabolic effect on pigment production but this slowing down in production is countered by its other effect in prolonging cell turnover thus a lesser rate of shedding dead skin cells. A 1% dosage is sufficient.

Tretinoin 0.25% Acidic or pure form of Vitamin A. Increases the cell turnover rate and helps with the shedding of dead skin cells. Helps clear acne and lighten discolourations with prolonged use. Thickens the dermis and helps deliver softer, suppler skin. Increases collagen production. Gradually increase the dosage after your skin is immune to it.

Finacea or Azelaic Acid It seems to work on overactive melanocytes but it does not appear to act on normal skin, on freckles, liver spots and nevus. Azelaic acid inhibits enzymes involved in oxidisation reactions and therefore affects the oxygen filled process of converting tyrosine to melanin.

All of these components require patience to see results. Less is always more and seeing any discolourations lighten is a gradual process. People suggest using hydroquinone on red marks. I totally disagree. If these people did some research or simply browse what hydroquinone does, you'll see that it inhibits melanin which has nothing to do with red marks. Red marks is a sign of inflammation. Brown marks is your bodies response to the inflammation thus leaving post-inflammatory or melanin deposited on the skin. Putting hydroquinone on red marks won't do a thing, it will probably irritate them furthur. Azelaic acid helps both acne and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

By the way, I'm also a long time sufferer of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation left over from acne and these are the thing's I used to treat my brown marks. The results so far have been excellent in regards to actually seeing any physical changes to my skin and it's discolourations. Also, people suggest applying hydroquinone/Kligman's formula or whatever treatment for PIH liberally only on the dark spots. I have tried this with disappointing results. I believe you should coat the entire face, which is what I did and have finally started to see something happening. Just make sure you don't end up looking like Michael Jackson - monitor your process.

Hope this helps!

completely agree that u have to put it on ur entire face,cause when i put it only on the spots nothing happened. But, try not to use every day, so u dont get noticeably lighter. I use meladerm 3x a week, just started so slow results. But, i have tried fashion fair vantex and that works but im trying to stay away fro hydroquinone because its not safe if u use it too long.

Has anyone tried meladerm. Does this work on african americans.

completely agree that u have to put it on ur entire face,cause when i put it only on the spots nothing happened. But, try not to use every day, so u dont get noticeably lighter. I use meladerm 3x a week, just started so slow results. But, i have tried fashion fair vantex and that works but im trying to stay away fro hydroquinone because its not safe if u use it too long.

Has anyone tried meladerm. Does this work on african americans.

Theres a lot of skin lightening products out there all seem to be soooo expensive for the little bit you get. Some do work but they take ages to see results like two months plus, i found it hard to keep it up when your not seeing any results to keep you motivated.

The ingredients in Meladerm won't do much for red marks but it depends on the type of red mark. If it's the type of red mark leftover from an inflamed acne lesion you can't do much but if its finished the whole inflammation process and their is a slight tinge of red and signs of hyperpigmentation, it could help. Though redness on one's complexion is usually associated with rosacea or sunburn. I'm pretty sure Meladerm hasn't had success of treating such skin disorders.

Anti-inflammatories will definitely help with the redness. These include aloe vera, chamomile, provitamin B5, green tea, licochalone and zinc. A more forceful approach need more powerful anti-inflammatory agents such as metronidazole gel and clindamycin gel. Azelaic acid and salicylic acid are also topical agents that have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and have been shown to improve redness and rosacea. Retinoids such as tretinoin at low starting dosages also help, particularly with rosacea.

Hydroquinone cream is very well tolerated. Some people may experience minor and temporary skin irritations including mild itching or stinging and reddening of the skin (irritant contact dermatitis).

Side effects that should warrant stopping the cream and seeking medical advice immediately include severe burning, itching, crusting, or swelling of treated areas (possible allergic contact dermatitis) and any unusual skin discolouration (ochronosis).

Generally it is safe if you use it for no longer than 3-4 months. After that time period has passed, discontinue use.

well, i just heard it was cancerous if ur dependent on it for years and years. Also, the stuff the person above me said. Your only suppose to use it for 2-3 months max out of the year. You can repeat the next year, if needed. I just started using meladerm this week and i dont use it everyday, kinda bad at religously applying things. Im african american trying to get rid of dark spots i have on my forehead and cheeks, so far no results. It saids 2 weeks or money back, so hopefully it works a little.

well, i just wanted to update about meladerm. I think its starting to work, its just a slow product. It doesnt make me break out which is good. Hopefully this stuff will last longer than a month!

Wow, this is weird. In most of North America people are ruining their skin in tanning beds and are using all kinds of chemicals to make their skin darker.

I've got such pale skin that I could probably go lay naked in a snowbank and I'd be invisible! :surprised:

Sid, most of the people in this forum who are using skin lighteners use them to get rid of post-acne hyper pigmentation. It's not to make their skin lighter, it's just to fade the red/brown marks left over from acne. =]

well, i just started like last week using mederma. Its a really slow proccess, it seems like it works then other days i see no difference. Im just gonna finish the bottle and see what happens. I also been using emu oil, i dont know if thats helping also.