Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tasha90

40 mg every other day

I was wondering if 40 mg every other day (OR every 2 days, or 2x a week) would have the same effect as low-dose Accutane? My derm doesn't like the idea of low-dose Accutane, but I'm scared of getting rosacea and of other side effects. Is there a way that I can just take the 40 mg my way? Or when they take your blood do they keep track of how much is in your system, and if its not what the derm prescribed they take away the medication? Thanksss

well-everyone has their own opinion but here's my two cents- my derm told me a second course was always an option...so w that in mind i chose to do exactly what your talking about. i was so terrified of side effects and scarring etc., that the only way i would do it was if i went low dose. my doc is unaware of this. i just took 20mg /day, and then 40mg every other depending on the pills i was prescribed. in my opinion, so far im glad i did it this way. after the first two months i have virtually no side effects at all, and have been clear since month 2 or 3ish. im taking it an extra month, and we'll see if that does it. id rather try this first, then risk a high dose with irreversible side effects ya know??

id rather try this first, then risk a high dose with irreversible side effects ya know??

yeah definitely! i was worried that i would have to go to a different derm altogether...I found a derm who only prescribes low-dose accutane, but he's more than an hour away. anyway, thanks for the two cents :)

pknsgirl,

So based on your experiences, do you feel that 40mg EOD was the same as when you took 20mg daily? Could you feel or see any difference when you switched from 40 EOD to 20 ED etc.?

thanks

Ideally I would like to take an average of about 5-10 mg a day...so that would mean taking one 40 mg pill every 4 to 8 days. But that doesn't seem as effective as taking accutane everyday...

i take 40mg per day and get hardly any side-effects

@ 80mg a day you can really notice the side-effects

maybe try 40mg one day, and 20mg the next etc.