Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I broke down in the derm's office today, I couldn't even speak because I was crying. I was told I was overreacting, that it wasn't normal. I can't help but feel pathetic. Anyone?

I don't know...I just saw myself in the mirror in the office and thought about my life so far...I was completely blubbering as I tried to tell him about all of the medications and creams I've used. Anyway, he ended up prescribing Accutane, but still he kind of made me feel guilty and lousy about...feeling lousy

On the upside, I got to pee in a cup today :dance:

yeah the derm...but still, he kind of made a big deal out of it, told me he wouldn't prescribe Accutane if I didn't stop crying, but trying to be positive! All that matters is the clear skin that I will have down the road! Thanks guys :)

yeah the derm...but still, he kind of made a big deal out of it, told me he wouldn't prescribe Accutane if I didn't stop crying, but trying to be positive! All that matters is the clear skin that I will have down the road! Thanks guys :)

I agree. As a doctor he should have a little more empathy. Regardless of whether he treats patients with acne everyday or not. Oncologists treat people with cancer everyday, does that mean they can tell cancer patients to get over it (before anyone says anything I know acne and cancer are not the same thing but I was just making an analogy).

I hope he at least knows now how much this is affecting you

Perhaps he was worried that if you were crying like that then maybe accutane might be more prone to cause depression in you, since that's one of it's side effects.

But then surely he could have calmed them down first and then at looked at their medical records and asked questions about how they feel in general in a more professional manner?

Maybe he didn't want someone crying in his waiting room incase it gives him a 'bad image'

I think he handled it coldly as well. I agree with snoopysimaginaryfriend, there was a more professional & compassionate way to handle it.

I hope accutane goes well for you, AsSpotted... :)

Find a new derm. Seriously. No one deserves to be treated like that by someone who is receiving payment for their services.

Perhaps he was worried that if you were crying like that then maybe accutane might be more prone to cause depression in you, since that's one of it's side effects.

Guest jollajolla

i work in my derm's office and there've been a few people who have started crying before they were about to get a facial--you're not the only one, if it helps...