Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
One1

Should i go on accutane?

Hi im a 19 year old male and my ance on my face is just getting worse and worse. I have been taking minocylcine for 4 months now and it hasent done ****, so i am going to a new dermotolagist in 2 weeks. My actual doctor prescribed Differin to me about 6 weeks ago. Before going on Differin my forehead and chin were pretty much clear and my cheeks had lots of ance. Since then my forehead and chin have broken out like never before. My cheeks are also breaking out even more. I went from waking up in the morning with 1-2 whiteheads to 8-10 new whiteheads. I know Differin is supposed to unplug my pores and it takes time, but its been 6 weeks and no sign of slowing down! I am getting less big red pimples though and more small ones. What should i tell my new dermotolgist? Should i ask to go on accutane? Any suggestions? Oh yeah and i do wash my face with a soap cleanser every morning and before i go to bed, even though thats not the cause of ance.

I am on the record as being a big fan of accutane (much to the chagrin of some of the other members of this forum), however, you should see what treatment options your new derm offers you. Going on accutane might not be a treatment option for you at this time as it is a very powerful medication with POSSIBLE (not inevitable) serious side effects. While you are waiting to see the derm you might consider some of the natural regimens promulgated and advocated by many forum members. Perhaps you will see some change in your condition which would preclude you from having to take a more traditional course of treatment.

I'd say, see what your derm says and take it from there.

All the best,

Joe Zit

Hey One,

your condition seems pretty similar to how mine was. I'm 18 yrs old now, almost 19, and until about June this past summer my acne had always been maneagable. Then around June it got out of control, starting with increased small spots, then clusters of them and eventually cysts on my neck and cheeks. bad baaaad news. My derm had me on mino for 2 months, which didn't do anything. The whole time I was on differin cream, and that only seemed to aggravate it further, and I used it for 7 weeks, and by then it should have been working. 2 Months ago, early september, I decided enough was enough, and I got my derm to perscribe me the tane. Since i only dealt with cysts for about 2 months, hopefully the scars will be kept to a minimum. I'm on 2 months now and I feel accutane is going to be one of the best decisions I ever made, considering the depression/lack of self confidence I went through dealing with severe acne. I'm not clear yet by any means, but all the cysts have smoothed out, and now I have the acne on my chest, a few scattered ones on my face, and leftover red marks to deal with.

See what your derm says, like Joe said, but my advice is to tackle the problem with the most effective drug before it gets too bad that you'll be left with scars some day..

Hey One,

your condition seems pretty similar to how mine was. I'm 18 yrs old now, almost 19, and until about June this past summer my acne had always been maneagable. Then around June it got out of control, starting with increased small spots, then clusters of them and eventually cysts on my neck and cheeks. bad baaaad news. My derm had me on mino for 2 months, which didn't do anything. The whole time I was on differin cream, and that only seemed to aggravate it further, and I used it for 7 weeks, and by then it should have been working. 2 Months ago, early september, I decided enough was enough, and I got my derm to perscribe me the tane. Since i only dealt with cysts for about 2 months, hopefully the scars will be kept to a minimum. I'm on 2 months now and I feel accutane is going to be one of the best decisions I ever made, considering the depression/lack of self confidence I went through dealing with severe acne. I'm not clear yet by any means, but all the cysts have smoothed out, and now I have the acne on my chest, a few scattered ones on my face, and leftover red marks to deal with.

See what your derm says, like Joe said, but my advice is to tackle the problem with the most effective drug before it gets too bad that you'll be left with scars some day..

Thanks soccer89 that was very informative. I got acne on my chest and back aswell but it started going away and is almost completely gone. I wish the acne on my face would do this...

I wanna hit myself for not knowing about accutane earlier cuz the derma i saw over the summer just put me on mino which did nothing. On a possitive note i have noticed the Differin i have been using for 6 weeks has made my skin smoother and less large bumps on my cheeks. I am getting large bumps on my forehead though but i think thats because all the shit was hiding under my skin when my forehead wouldent break out. I hope the Differin is working and i can get on accutane here soon and speed things up before my girlfriend dumps me...well i did just buy her a nice birthday present lol..