Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jessikak

80-120 mgs daily over 7 months

DAY 1

I started my Claravis today... 80 mg daily (2x40mg) I have only taken my first pill of the day though. I'm taking my second one around 3:30. I'll probably post pictures later.

I was just wondering how much mgs I should be taking a day? My doc didn't even weigh me. He asked me and I guesstimated around 160. I'm not sure though because I have not weighed myself in a while. I'm a size 10 though. Is that about right?

I know that my derm put me on 60mg a day and I weigh in the vicinity of 125 (give or take a few lbs). Its probably ok to be on 80. Good luck!!

Thanks!

Oh okay that makes me feel better. I was just worried about that high dose. It also concerned me because my acne is actually the best it has ever been. It used to be really bad with several breakouts of large bumps on top of my "normal bumps" a week but now its down to a couple a month.

I just want to get rid of it completely so I can see the damage it has caused and proceed with scar treatments.

my chin pretty much exploded with whiteheads for about 2 weeks, bar that its been pretty good, on day 40 now skin best its been for as long as i can remember.. eyes are a bit of a pain, so i suggest getting ontop of that from the beginning, good luck

DAY 2

I'm actually a day late in posting this but...

My eyes feel dry already but my face actually feels oiler. I think this might be because I am over overcompensating with the lotion, expecting dryness.

What kinds of fatty food do yall take with your medicine? I want healthy fats so I don't gain weight while I am on tane.

I usually just take it with a glass of 2% milk and a bowl of cereal or something; my stomach has not gotten upset and I don't want to gain wieght either! :)

Flaxseed oil capsules with a normal meal, its omega 3 fatty acids so its good fat to absorb with the accutane

Thanks for the suggestions Pigsley and kloml88 I will try those.

DAY 3 & 4

I have been using a Wal-Mart imitation of Cetaphil, Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Moisturizing Lotion for Extra-Dry Skin, Clear eyes for Contacts and Chapstick for my lips. I don't think the Chapstick is working though. I need to get my Carmex open. (Its threading was off when I bought it and now it won't open.)

My face is so oily. I think maybe the tane is pushing up the oil that is already there, right? No new breakouts yet...just an uneven look. My hair gets oily quicker than it used to as well. My lips and eyes are dry though.

I am thinking about getting eyebrow plucked if that is okay to do. I know waxing is not. I meant to get that done a few days before I started but I forgot.

DAY 5

Nothing much to report for today except that I get the throw away my first blister pack of ten!

My lips are dry and my face is oily...the same as yesterday. One tiny breakout though on my left cheek but it's not bad. I have been applying Vaseline to my lips but it seems like I have to apply it every hour. I have been itchy too.

I love aveeno lip products if that means anything...my lips are feeling kinda sticky and wierd, but man are they soft! Glad to hear things are going ok!

Thanks for the info. I just need to go to the store now and buy some.

DAY 6

My face is a tad less oily but the lips are about the same as yesterday. My eyes seem a little better though...less dry.

I am curious to see if tane makes some of my larger pores smaller by the end of treatment. Does it help to make scars less noticeable too?

I have heard conflicting things about the effect on scars. I know it makes "pseudo" scars go away (the red marks left behind that I seem to have an abundance of) but the little pit scars sadly are not effected I believe; that is why so many people wait a couple months after and do microdermabrasion. I think though that overall the skin tone is improved by the medicine so perhaps it will be less noticable! We shall hope together on that as well as the lack of IB! :)

Oh okay. I have some "pseudo" scars but I'm mostly worried about my ice pick ones. Maybe they will be less noticeable like you said. If not I will look into microdermabrasion. Here's to hope: :pray:

DAY 7

I bought some Aveeno lipbalm. Works much better. Face less oily but not dry yet. My hair is starting to dry out though.

DAY 11

My cheeks, forehead, and chin are still oily. My nose and scalp are super dry though. I have a few bumps on my cheeks and chin that are new and one above my eyebrow but they are not bad at all. I had a few cramps in my legs the other day too. I just wish this stuff would dry out my face already.

DAY 14

Ugh today is awful. I am still oily! I have a new papule on my lip that I am scared will turn into a cyst. My lips are peeling off too... the entire top layers. It is only a matter of time before they crack. My hair is dry too. Oh and those whiteheads on my chin are bugging the fire out of me.

My Gallery << For those curious to see my progress in pics. The new one for today will probably be approved later today.

I'm having a hard time concentrating. Although this is probably because it is getting close to finals and I was procrastinating before I started tane. I only have three weeks left including finals week. Oh and I have been having joint pains.

Hey there!. I see that you are on 80mgs/day. I read that is pretty normal to alot of people, that is why I wonder why my derm only put me on a 30mg!!!.

I know finals week in college is a stressful times! but just try to do the best time management as you can, and I guarantee you, you will be fine! Gluck!.

About your joint pains, I know that Omega 3 helps with joints mobility, so maybe if you haven't already started, Start taking some Omega 3 pills. It should help. If you need any support, don't hesitate to msg! =]

DAY 23

So today I have two big bumps right on my lip line. What fun.

Anyways, I have started to have the dry skin now, especially around my chin and mouth. No more with the oil. Yay! My lips are dry and peeling too.

My hair has become dry as well . I don't need to wash it every day. It's not even oily after the second day. I don't know if I like this or not.

I have started taking Vitamin E and Biotin to combat all the dryness.

ONE MONTH

Well I made it to one month. I went to the dermatologist today. He didn't say much but did ask if I was doing good. lol I am still on 80mgs a day!

I think my face looks worse now, acne wise, but better because it is not so oily.

My blackheads have come to the surface, more whiteheads have come up and several papules came this month too. I've been breaking out mostly around my lips. This has always been a trouble spot though. I think I experienced my IB but it was not too bad.

All day today my cheeks have been flushed. I think this is because I was in the sun a bit and perhaps because it has been so hot.

My hair, lips, and nose are always dry now too. I have been taking Vitamin E and Biotin to combat these though. I have been feeling rickety lately as well. My joints ache a bit.

quite interesting you got 80mg a day. I am on 40mg a day, and kinda glad im not on higher due to harsher side effects.

im on 7th doseage tonight and today the dryness kicked in, nothing too bad.. but the sides of my nose were very dry and my lips have been dry enough to use lip balm past couple days.

Breakout wise, nothing major. I definatly have a some that have appeared but i think just the same usual amount. Nothing too bad yet.

good luck

Yeah I was/am worried about the side effects but hopefully with a higher dose I'll finish sooner.

Oh I know! It seems like the moisture from the lips and the surrounding area is the first to go. What kind of chapstick are you using?

Thanks! You too.

TWO MONTHS

I went to my derm yesterday and got my prescription. I'm still on 80 mgs/day. They had trouble with a shipment of their pregnancy tests so I had to wait a while until the stick decided it would show the results.

So I have two months down with four more to go. I started my 3rd month today. I switched pharmacies this month. Big mistake. It was $30 more and a different brand than I was using. This month I'll be on Sotret instead of Claravis.

Side effects wise, I have had really, really bad tane burn on my hands. If I don't moisturize good it looks awful, red and patchy, and burns. My lips have been dry as well. I've had minor joint pains but it is manageable. I also developed a UTI so I was on antibiotics for a week. Not fun.

My face looks better on some levels, not as oily, more even texture but I still get new outbreaks at least twice a month. The old whiteheads are so persistent but the last of my blackheads are almost gone! I do get flushed more easily now too.

TWO MONTHS

I went to my derm yesterday and got my prescription. I'm still on 80 mgs/day. They had trouble with a shipment of their pregnancy tests so I had to wait a while until the stick decided it would show the results.

So I have two months down with four more to go. I started my 3rd month today. I switched pharmacies this month. Big mistake. It was $30 more and a different brand than I was using. This month I'll be on Sotret instead of Claravis.

Side effects wise, I have had really, really bad tane burn on my hands. If I don't moisturize good it looks awful, red and patchy, and burns. My lips have been dry as well. I've had minor joint pains but it is manageable. I also developed a UTI so I was on antibiotics for a week. Not fun.

My face looks better on some levels, not as oily, more even texture but I still get new outbreaks at least twice a month. The old whiteheads are so persistent but the last of my blackheads are almost gone! I do get flushed more easily now too.

Yeah even on 40mg a day i still feel its a bit harsh at times. Im wondering if i will be upped because im not really sure whats going on. One week my acne is clearing up and then a few weeks later its a bit nasty. Under my jawline is so dry and red..

MONTH 3

I made it to the end of month 3. Yaa! Just 3 more to go.

I am not seeing as much progress as I would like and apparently neither is my derm because he upped my dose to 100mgs a day or 120mgs. I won't know until I see the packets they come in. The derm did not tell me the dosage, just that he upped it and I would be taking 3 pills a day now instead of 2.

The whiteheads I have on my chin are slowly turning into blackheads and then working their way out. Did this happen to anyone else? The ones on my cheeks are stubborn!

I have not had any new side effects really. Well just pink eye which I know was caused by dry eyes. My skin is still dry but manageable along with dry lips. I've also be a tad sad at times and more grouchy but I think this has more to do with college readings and papers than anything else.